Calling all Glycerin/S-curl users

mlgreen

When I first started using glycerin mixed with water, it was the bomb! It would keep my hair soft and moisturized for days at a time with no breakage on my natural 4a hair. Two days ago I did a no-poo deep condition with ORS Hair Mayo and after that my glycerin/water mix won't absorb! It's just sitting on my hair like every other product i've used. I tried washing my hair, still the same thing. I tried using S-curl, still the same thing. I read that glycerin is a humectant, so is the recent snap of cold dry weather here in the midwest causing this? Are there any methods to get it to absorb? Would a humidifier work? Sorry for all the questions, but my hair is really dry and breaking off and I need some help!

aikaa71

How long have you been using the glycerine? You could have product build up from the glycerine. You may need to use a clarifying shampoo to remove build up.The continue with your normal routine

Tebby1017

Fourth that.

After a long time of use, S-Curl did the same to my hair. Once I used a clarifying shampoo, we were friends again.

Tebby

mlgreen

I've been using glycerin for about a month. This may seem like a dumb question, but what is a clarifying shampoo? Any specific brand I should get? Thanks for the replies!

debyjay

Clarifying shampoo removes residue/build-up from your hair. It sorta makes the hair super clean. You wanna follow that up with a good deep conditioner that's moisturizing.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
mlgreen said:
I've been using glycerin for about a month. This may seem like a dumb question, but what is a clarifying shampoo? Any specific brand I should get? Thanks for the replies!

[/ QUOTE ]
Pantene makes a good one.

HotCoCoGurl130

Also, do you wear your hair in a protective style? I have had no build up problems from scurl but I have used a clarifying poo.

mlgreen- a shampoo that cleanses your hair of all the buildup from products. It tends to be drying so only use it when you must. I use VO5 w/ vit e and that works well for me.

Britt

Can someone please post a pic of the bottle of S-Curl that u guys use or please specify which one that u use. When I think of S-Curl I think of jerri curl.I am looking for a bottle that is very moisturizing. I have looked at a few members albums and I have seen different bottles. I know there is a white bottle w/purple writing and I know there is gray/silver bottle with blue writing. What is the difference between the two?

debyjay

Britt, my S-curl is in a white bottle with blue writing. It says activator/moisturizer on the bottle. Sorry no pics.

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
Can someone please post a pic of the bottle of S-Curl that u guys use or please specify which one that u use. When I think of S-Curl I think of jerri curl.I am looking for a bottle that is very moisturizing. I have looked at a few members albums and I have seen different bottles. I know there is a white bottle w/purple writing and I know there is gray/silver bottle with blue writing. What is the difference between the two?

[/ QUOTE ]

sbj4115

THAT is what you guys are raving about?! no way?! you put it in your relaxed hair?! shut up!!! it doesn't make your hair 'revert' to kinkiness. it just stays soft and relaxed?! wow.

i'm learning so much.

mblake8

I use care free curl . just the plain activator and follow it up with some evoo. My hair LOVES this method. I hardly get any breakage.

L.Mo.

[ QUOTE ]
sbj4115 said:
THAT is what you guys are raving about?! no way?! you put it in your relaxed hair?! shut up!!! it doesn't make your hair 'revert' to kinkiness. it just stays soft and relaxed?! wow.

i'm learning so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought too when I first joined the board. I thought this was reserved for people with Jheri curls

Tebby1017

[ QUOTE ]
sbj4115 said:

i'm learning so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't know, now you know!

Tebby

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
mblake8 said:
I use care free curl . just the plain activator and follow it up with some evoo. My hair LOVES this method. I hardly get any breakage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that EVOO works exceptionally well with the S Curl. It is an awesome dream on my daughter's natural hair

Britt

how do u all use S-Curl, on wet or dry hair. When U air dry ? On your hair ends? Does it do a good job of smoothing your ends when u air dry or blow dry ?

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
how do u all use S-Curl, on wet or dry hair. When U air dry ? On your hair ends? Does it do a good job of smoothing your ends when u air dry or blow dry ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Britt I only use it when I'm doing protecting styles or braidouts. Since I wear my hair in a bun all week, this is almost all the time. I usually wet my hiar about ever 2-3 days. I then apply the S Curl after my leave in. Then I use EVOO to seal in the moisture. WHen I get home from work, I take the bun out and do spray some more SC. Then in the morning repeat again.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
curtrece said:
SassyGirl, your hair growth process was unbelieveable and quite the inspiration!!

GREAT pics!

[/ QUOTE ]
Curtrece, that was Adrienne's album that Sassy Girl posted a link to. But all the same it is impressive.

MissMarie23

Where can you purchase glycerin?

I've been looking online, with no luck. Does anyone have suggestions as to where I should look?

thanks!

MoezThunder

[ QUOTE ]
Poetess232 said:
Where can you purchase glycerin?

I've been looking online, with no luck. Does anyone have suggestions as to where I should look?

thanks!

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="brown"> I bought mine at Wal=Mart in the drug section for about $2.50
</font>

Ebony

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Britt, I use s-curl ALL the time. pin-ups, wash n go styles, buns, on wet&amp;dry hair, although NEVER when i wear my hair blown-out straight, only curly styles. i also use it all over my hair except directly on my scalp if i can help it. i've been using it for years
and it's one of the best moisturizers, especially if you can't really take grease

Isis

Ebony - What is your hair type? I'm a 4a/b and I'm wondering if S-curl would work on my hair.