Calling All MIZANI relaxer users

Buttercreme

I'm seriously considering self-relaxing.
This is the only reason I go to the salon every 10-12 weeks. I have become a DIYer with everything else.

I like my stylist as a person, but I hate some of the things she does to my hair:
1. She sees all my newgrowth and overlaps the relaxer, then smooths it to overlap even more. I told her newgrowth only because I don't want to overprocess.
2. While detangling, I told her about 5 times to be gentle because I don't want my hair snapping off
3. She doesn't neutralize long enough for me

So my question is.....What are all the steps to the Mizani Relaxer System for at home use. What products do I use and in what order?(poo,cond, neutra,deep cond, reconst, moisture, etc

hi michigander :yawn: my old stylist did the same thing, overlapping and overprocessing my hair so i decided to start doing it all myself!!

i currently have been using mizani lye regular and have been using it for about a year now. the lye relaxer itself is really the only mizani product that i think is necessary. i think you will be ok using other products that aren't necessarily made by mizani.

this is what i do on relaxer day ::
-base my scalp and hairline with some type of hair grease
-apply profective megagrowth to my previously relaxed ends, then apply some type of hair grease over that just for good measure :)
-i apply my relaxer on my new growth only
-rinse out relaxer completely
-neutralize with isoplus color coded neutralizing poo (until suds turn from pink to white)
-apply smooth n silk 60 second reconstructor and rinse out (tomorrow i'm going to use aphogee 2 minute recontsructor)
- deep condition with mizani moisturefuse for about 30 minutes and rinse out
-rollerset with chi silk infusion and a small amount of lacio lacio leave in conditioner, then style however i want (leaving it curly or wrapping it to make it straight)

also, if i'm not mistaken, the directions on the relaxer tub says that u can use your reconstructor before your neutralizing poo....but i need to check on that. i do know a lot of ladies on here use a mild reconstructor before their neutralizing shampoo...

hope this helps :)

*pulls out mizani tub*

Mizani has two different directions for relaxing. Basically you base your scalp and apply the relaxer for the alotted time

Option A says to condition before neutralizing with moisturefuse conditioner for 10 minutes and then proceed to neutralizing with shampoo

Option B says to neutralize first and then apply moisturefuse conditioner for 10 mintes.

To be honest, it doesn't matter what you use.

I use Mizani mild and I base with some Vitale base I got in a squeeze tube.
I relax and use aphogee 2 minute reconstructor before going to neutralizing shampoo. I then use proclain or elasta qp neutralizing shampoo. Then I deep condition with something like ORS replenishing pack conditioner for 20-45 minutes.

I'm seriously considering self-relaxing.
This is the only reason I go to the salon every 10-12 weeks. I have become a DIYer with everything else.

I like my stylist as a person, but I hate some of the things she does to my hair:
1. She sees all my newgrowth and overlaps the relaxer, then smooths it to overlap even more. I told her newgrowth only because I don't want to overprocess.
2. While detangling, I told her about 5 times to be gentle because I don't want my hair snapping off
3. She doesn't neutralize long enough for me

So my question is.....What are all the steps to the Mizani Relaxer System for at home use. What products do I use and in what order?(poo,cond, neutra,deep cond, reconst, moisture, etc

Girl we are seriously rocking the same boat! I've been considering self-relaxing from now on with mizani too... My question is, where can I get my hands on Mizani and their products since it's for professional use only??

I don't do my own relaxer, but my stylist uses Mizani's Butter Blend on my hair and I love it!! Since I'm currently overseas I ordered it online through paynes beauty supply. It comes with everything you need and directions too...its was very useful for the beautician that did my hair here...you should try that its about $40 (plus shipping and handling) for the complete kit...I've only used it once and I still have enough for another touch up if necessary....here's the link http://paynesbeautysupply-salon.stores.yahoo.net/mibublinkit.html. HTH... Oh btw they have every mizani product avail...and quite a few other professional products avail just browse their site!

Last edited:
I relaxed my hair myself for the first time in 7 years on Thursday past. The results were amazing because I pretty much followed Sistaslick's instructions on relaxing hair. I got the info from her article on www.associatedcontent.com.

This is how I relax my hair with Mizani lye relaxer for normal/medium hair:-

1) For 3 days leading up to my relaxer I use profectiv break free (cantu break cure profectiv mega growth can also be used) on my existing relaxed strands because the protein in these help to build up the hair's cuticle. Remember relaxer strips the hair of protein so it's important to prepare the hair for this process. I repeat this process the morning of the relaxer a fourth time.

2) Next, the night before my relaxer I base my scalp WELL with vaseline grease but I base my ears, nape and front edges the morning of the relaxer.

3) I then mix a little oil (2 tablespoons of evoo, jojoba or almond oil) in my relaxer to slow down the processing time, to condition my hair a little and to prevent burns. The texlax effect is just a side benefit for me. I put the relaxer on my new growth and smooth for the recommended amount of time.

4) I properly wash the relaxer out for a few minutes. Then I apply a 5 minute protein treatment (ors Hair mayo mixed with a little CON reconstructor) for 5 minutes with a plastic cap on (with or without heat is okay) then wash out. This proess helps to repair the damage done by the harsh effects of the relaxer and to bring the pH down from about 13 to about 7 or 8.

5) Now is when I put on my neutralizing shampoo. I wash gently 3 times nad the 4th time I leave the neutralizing shampoo sitting on my hair for another 5 or 6 minutes to further balance the pH of my hair.

6) I then wash out the neutralizing shampoo and apply my deep conditioner and leave this on under a hooded dryer for about 45 minutes to an hour. I use mizani moisturefuse, kenra moisturizing conditioner, Elucence moisture balance conditioner, or CON ultra nourishing conditioner.

7) When all this is done I put some lacio lacio leave-in conditioner and my hair screams THANK YOU MAMA!!!! AND I LOVE:love2: YOU!!!!

Back