Calling all Natural Curly Heads

Hysi

what do you do with ur hair to sleep? I sleep on a satin pillowcase, but my hair is dry and pasted to my head when i wake up? is there anything special i should be doing. I co-wash & moisturize n shower. Does anyone wake up with a pretty head? and not a smushed top?:wallbash:

classychic1908

I sleep with my hair in a pineapple (loose high pony tail) I also wear a satin scarf. In the morning I smooth my hair with a little water or aloe juice and shake. By the way, I use KCCC as a styler it gives me hold for like a week. If you haven't already, you should check out www.naturallycurly.com they have loads of curly haired info.

a_shoe_6307

I have short hair & I can go 4 days without looking smushed. I use the Tightly Curly Method (http://tightlycurly.com). Before then I would wake up with my hair flat to my head & dry. I also sleep on a satin pillow case & when it was longer I did the pineapple as well.

rinahbaby

When I'm wearing my natural curls, I would braid the hair in one big braid or two big braids after moisutrizing and sealing and then cover with a scarf. Sometimes I baggy my hair in two big braids overnight to lock in moisture better. If I don't do any this, than my hair would get really dry, tangled and shrink up.....but it all depends on your hair type too.(I have a mix of 3b,3c,4/a)

darlingdiva

I have satin bonnet & satin scarf, but my pillows are cotton. I sleep w/ a satin bonnet & satin scarf when I have my perm rods in my hair. I sleep with just a satin bonnet when I want to preserve my twist-out. I put duckbill clips on my twists to keep them from getting smushed.

Creatividual

I usually put my hair in a few braids at night and sleep in a satin bonnet on a satin pillow case. I can't wait till it's long enough to just put in 2 french braids for bed.

BostonMaria

At night I'll usually wet my hair, detangle, apply some Afroveda Totally Twisted butter, put my hair in two braided ponytails, tie a scarf and go to sleep.

If I don't do that or at least a high ponytail (pineapple) I will wake up with my hair matted to my head LOL I hate that plastered look.

SweetSpirit86

While all this advice is nice for the longer haired naturals, what do the shorter haired ones do? I'm in that awkward stage where it's long enough to get smushed/plastered to my head, but too short to put in a ponytail. Braids/Twists aren't an option either unless I want to spend hours making itty bitty ones. I've only got 2 3/4 inches of hair (I measured the other day...don't judge me:giggle:) so I'd love to hear what some of you ladies do, or used to do at this stage.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I used to baggy my hair under my silk scarf. My hair was really short then and I co washed daily.

RainbowCurls

Satin pillowcase to avoid breakage, but it never looks pretty in the morning! Have to wash/wet it again to wear it out...

Nonie

While all this advice is nice for the longer haired naturals, what do the shorter haired ones do? I'm in that awkward stage where it's long enough to get smushed/plastered to my head, but too short to put in a ponytail. Braids/Twists aren't an option either unless I want to spend hours making itty bitty ones. I've only got 2 3/4 inches of hair (I measured the other day...don't judge me:giggle:) so I'd love to hear what some of you ladies do, or used to do at this stage.

I have always braided my hair for the night. As long as I could grab some hair, it got braided. The only time I went to bed without braiding y hair was when it was shorter than 1 inch.

After my BC, this is how my hair was:

I would have S Curl on my hair and braid it in many plaits (as big as I could get them) and then baggy for the night. In the AM combing it would be a breeze and I'd have the cutest fluffiest afro ever:

If I twisted it instead of braiding it, the puff I got would be so much smaller :giggle:

lashannasmall

I have short hair. I use Kinky Curly Curling Custard. It is smushed when I wake up but all i have to do is use my fingers and fluff it back out. Takes like 30 seconds. The is one of the benefits of Kinky Curly. Once it is fully dry, it bounces back no matter what you do to it.

Hysi

thank u ladies for all of ur responses. i should have mentioned that i only have about 5 inches and keep cutting more every night. i sleep in a satin scarf or pillowcase- still the same. i guess i will b mushed, dry head until i get more length & able to pineapple!:yep:

Last edited:

msa

If I'm super lazy...just put a bonnet or cap on and call it a night. My hair still ends up smushed in the morning but I just pick it out.

If I'm not lazy, put it in a few buns (my hair isn't long enough in its shrunken state to make one) and then put on a bonnet/cap.

My hair isn't long enough to pineapple but I definitely go to sleep with either a satin scarf or pillowcase and just add moisturizer in the morning. I do have smush head but once the moisturizer is added it like re-fluffs itself accordingly

Leeda.the.Paladin

The main thing for me when i had shorter hair was reviving it in the morning. Really, second hair days were scarce for me back then, but I would be able to revive it a bit with a liquid leave in or just a bit of water. Spritz, fluff it out.

I wake up not with it matted to my hair, but a quick shower or just walking around the house with it untied for an hour or so let's it fluff back out.

Natural Glow

I am so lazy. I usually sleep with it in a bun or how ever I wore my hair that day. I've been even known to sleep with it out.:blush: Sometimes I sleep with a bonnet but I can never find that thing. (I'm so unorganized:nono:)
I have a satin pillow case but it's MIA right now so I just sleep on a regular cotton pillow case. When my hair is curly I either wet it every day or take out my bun, brush it and put it back in a bun and call it a day so it doesn't really matter how it is when I sleep I'm still gonna have to do something with it in the morning.

sparkle25

Maybe try wrapping your hair and then covering it with a silk or satin scarf. I read all over hear and other forums that it keeps your style. You can sleep pretty without being uncomfortable.

alanaj

I put a scarf on very loosely if i have a twist/braid out going on and then just try to tie the ends tightly enough around my head so that it doesnt slip off at night. When I wake up the sides are a bit smushed down so a lil finger combing and fluffing is all i need but I can only get away with this for 2 or 3 nights

RubyWoo

The main thing for me when i had shorter hair was reviving it in the morning. Really, second hair days were scarce for me back then, but I would be able to revive it a bit with a liquid leave in or just a bit of water. Spritz, fluff it out.

This is what I do. I use braids spray in the morning to revive my hair. My hair is usually in twists or a twist out and my hair is all over the place in the morning. A liquid conditioner always does the trick.

Also the steam and moisture from my shower also helps revive my hair. This all my sister does (she's been natural for 8 years and is BSL). She is really lazy when it comes to her hair so using a conditioner/moisturizer every day is not always on her agenda.

I sleep with a satin bonnet. I find that my style holds better this way. If I use a scarf my hair is flattened completely and I hate that. At least with my bonnet my hair is not flattened, just all over the place (sticking up)..lol!

Last edited:

Truth

It's long enough now that I either do 2 braids on the side of my head.. or I throw it in pig tails (can't make a ponytail that I like..) and tie on the scarf, slap a baggy on it.. and put on a bonnet... keep it moving.. IF i'm lazy I'll just throw the bonnet on .yes I wake up with it smashed..thats when ya spray some water and fluff it back out!