Calling all naturals and transitioners...updates

AFashionSlave

I am starting to get a little frustrated waiting for some growth progress. I know that my hair is growing faster than normal, but the shrinkage is driving me nuts. I'm just looking for some updates. Maybe you all will inspire me to make some changes to my hair care routine.

How is your hair growth progress coming along?
How long is your natural hair now?
Have you tried any new products, vitamins, herbs, or oils lately?
Do you have healthy hair or have you been experiencing breakage?
What have you done to change your hair care routine for the better?

Thanks in advance ladies.

laketta

Here is my story for you.

I decided to stop relaxing my hair last october and chose to keep the permed ends until enough natural hair grew out. On june 8th of this year I hacked off my relaxed ends which left me with about 4 inches of natural hair. I came on this board last month and started a biotin and nourishhair vitamin regimine which i should say i am seeing progress. the day after i cut the relaxed ends off, i got individual braids with the ends loose. the braids were pretty tight. since then the part where the braid stated at my scalp has grown out 3/4 of an inch. i have not taken out the braids yet so i cannot report on any breakage. I do use jojoba oil on a daily basis which has kept my hair from drying and i was the braids once a week. the braids seem to be working for now so thats what i will stick with along with the vitamins. i hope this helps

Chipmunk

It's coming along okay, it's actually slowed down a little. I really think it has to do w/the bc pills, I was getting 1.5 inches a month w/my vitamins until I started taking them. After reading that they deplete b vitamins I'm convinced they are the culprit. To combat this I added a B-complex, I hope that works.

My natural hair when stretched is 18 inches from hairline to end.

The B-complex, and I am going to try Organic Root Stimulator's Scalp Scrub. I want to see if this can jump start my hair again.

My hair is pretty healthy, no breakage.

I haven't really changed my routine, which is basically just wash every couple of days, and spritz w/water & glycerin or leave in conditioner daily.

SVT

Re: Calling all naturals and transitioners...updat

My hair seems to be standing still after growing really well the past 6 months. I have a lot of shrinkage. My hair is at the base of my neck when natural and completely air dried. It's past my shoulders when pressed. I received my order of Elysian Isle Avocado Oil and will be testing it against my EVOO. Overall, my hair is healthy but tends to be dry at times.

joyous

My hair progess is coming along very well. I usually get about 1.5 or 1.75 inches per month. My natural hair stretched is about 20 inches from hairline to end. about 3-The new products I've tried are Natrol MSM, Africa's Best Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangler. My hair is pretty healthy, no breakage at the moment. The things I have done to change my hair routine for the better are daily c/o washes with distilled water, no heat, sealing ends, and plenty of moisture.

phynestone

My hair growth process is coming along kind of slowly, I guess b/c I watch it like crazy. It's currently in braids, so I can't tell you how long it is. I'm now trying Cod Liver Oil and the Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins from GNC. I don't know how well they work b/c I haven't been consistent with my taking my pills. I had some breakage when I had my edges redone b/c I had been using Infusium 23 every day (I couldn't find Daily Doctor). Hopefully all of my hair will be down past my shoulders by the end of this upcoming school year.

sithembile

To all naturals
I've been contemplating making the transition, but I've had relaxed hair since I was 11, and I'm ashamed to say that I wouldn't know how to take care of my 4b hair. How do you style your hair? I knwo I could get pressed to be straight, but what about at home, what could I do?

NAY007

- i feel as if it is coming along great -

- it's past bra strap-

- yes, i have recently bought a bottle of amla oil, and i love it -

- no it's healthy -

- i really haven't changed anything, i still try to use no heat at all and wear my hair in protective styles all the time, at nighttime i wear a bun on top of my head and the ends are tucked in or under -

LaFemmeNegrita

Hair progress, in terms of health and feel - best ever. Length - I don't know how long mine is, but I feel it's too short (even allowing for shrinkage). The last year or so, I really think growth slowed to a trickle; that's my reason for joining the forum.

I'm a product junkie, but getting better. IC Hair Polisher is my most recent addition, so I no longer need hair gel.

My hair is in good condition; can't complain about that! I still have hand-in-fro disease, actually. And it never, ever felt this good with a perm.

As far as changes go, I've basically gone back to basics - or what I was doing when my hair grew it's best. Instead of twistouts and weekly washing, I've returned to daily conditioning rinses with as-needed shampoos, and I'm back to wearing a shake-and-go. I pay more attention to scalp massage in the shower, too. It's a bit boring, but my hair is always clean and conditioned, plus I rarely manipulate it. I also color less often, and I gotta say - I'm seeing results in just a couple of months! I really think my hair was missing it's daily bath.

But remember that, even when things are perfect, it's harder for us to see growth because of the kinks and curls and shrinkage. I'd recommend you monitor the growth of one little section of your head. Just concentrate on that in some measurable way, and you'll be surprised at how fast yo stuff is springing from your head!

Adrian3bc

My hair is growing like a weed. I have had braids in for only about 3 weeks and I have 3/4 of an inch already. This weekend marks my 3month mark without a relaxer. I is growing in really soft I love to play with the baby curls at my nape. I havent tried anything new but all in all I think that thinks are going really good.

Spagirl

Mufasa

Maybe you all will inspire me to make some changes to my hair care routine.

&gt;&gt; <font color="blue"> I don't know what to say
I just leave mine alone and it does its thing - I have never tried purposely to get it to grow ... What I do now is just weave/braid it every 3 or 4 weeks and keep on stepping ... </font>

&gt;&gt; <font color="blue"> Well, for now, length is OK - I am still looking for a way to handle it though
</font>

&gt;&gt; <font color="blue"> I think that it is lower mid-back - or somewhere thereabouts </font>

&gt;&gt; <font color="blue"> I have been taking vitamins - about 9 or 10 per day
They are: Flax seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Biotin, B- Complex, GNCs Ultra Nourishair, MSM and Black Currant Oil </font>

&gt;&gt; <font color="blue"> My hair is healthy - I may experience shedding when taking the hair out and not caring for it properly (i.e. pre-hot oil treatments, super conditioning, etc.) </font>

&gt;&gt; <font color="blue"> Take mucho mucho vitamins. They have made my nails grow like crazy - I don't doubt that my hair is doing the same ... </font>

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

At a snails pace.
If I'm lucky I get about 1/2" per month. The good news is I seem to be retaining it all. I don't lose a lot of hair during combouts.

When it's dry and shrunken it's about 3"-4" long. When it's pressed it's about nape length. The part that broke off after my last touch-up is shorter--maybe 3"-4" long when it's pressed.

Have you tried any new products, vitamins, herbs, or oils
lately?

Errm... uhh... Yes.
Right now I'm loving avocado oil mixed in my moisturizing conditioners.

I think my hair is healthier now than it has been in decades.

Daily conditioner washes, Hennalucent conditioning treatments and curl activator have changed my life!

ineedmoney

this is my hair history. i think of myself as perm free indvidual but that isn't true. i had one in the 7th grade and it was the worse hair mistake of my life.
How is your hair growth progress coming along? <font color="purple"> my hair is doing better. i bought some products to combat my dryness, breakage and scalp issues </font>
How long is your natural hair now? <font color="purple">i would say below chin lenghth. to be honest when it is totally straight it touches at the bottom of my neck but i say chin because that is how it looks when i bump my ends </font>
Have you tried any new products, vitamins, herbs, or oils lately? <font color="purple"> i bought some CON shampoo and it's amazing. i am also am taking 300 mcgs of biotin now.</font>
Do you have healthy hair or have you been experiencing breakage? <font color="purple"> i have breakage issues but it is better. i don't think i know the diffrence between breakage and sheading but i know that i don't see any hair on my shirt in the morning</font>
What have you done to change your hair care routine for the better? more mouisture, &amp; less heat

ineedmoney

[ QUOTE ]
To all naturals
I've been contemplating making the transition, but I've had relaxed hair since I was 11, and I'm ashamed to say that I wouldn't know how to take care of my 4b hair. How do you style your hair? I knwo I could get pressed to be straight, but what about at home, what could I do?

[/ QUOTE ]
to be honest i am a weave girl. i try all kinds. also i do a lot of braids. but the best thing about type 4 hair is the afro. you stand out in the most beautiful way. the thing is lots of mousiture and being gentle with your hair. good luck if you decide to transition!

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
For me my hair was growing at a pretty decent rate until I started on Accutane. I've experience so much dryness that I started to shed but not a lot. I couldn't take any multivitamins because Accutane is a form of vitamin A and too much vitamin A would have adverse effects on my health. And on top of that, I talked to my doctor about some breakage and she said that there is a possibility that I'm not getting enough iron and protein in my diet. But I'm not discouraged. By coming to this site, I learn so many new things and share with my friends and family. Thanks again LHCF members!!!

Nonie

So far so good. I'm actually in love with my hair. I actually fantasize about taking a vacation to spend some time with it. As you know, I wear braids and I do them myself. I am ready for new extensions and new total redo. I would love to pamper it for one week and then take my time doing it up neat enough to give Brandy a ran for her money.
And I think this love for my hair has come with all the education I've gotten and continue to get on it. This forum is definitely a huge catalyst for that. I don't know if it's growing coz I'm checking every day
and you know what they say about a watched pot. I measured it just before coming to the board for the first time and was so thrilled I coulda p-d! I usually redo my hair in front of the TV and so had no idea how much it had grown. I just happened to catch a glimpse in the mirror and was taken aback by the length I saw and just had to measure it so I can tell somebody.
Then I ran around the place looking for a sistah to share my good news. The first person I saw was an Asian girl who looked at my stretched micro section and my beaming face as I hollered in excitement "LOOK!" and in total bewilderment/concern she asked, "What's wrong with it?"

It's 9 inches (scalp to ends, ie if I hold it up stretched and measure it) at the top part of my head and it gradually tapers to 7 inches in the back. That's basically how it had been cut when I had a relaxer. That was almost 2 years ago. I braided the relaxed hair when I got some growth and gradually trimmed my hair till I was rid of the processed hair. Because I braid my own hair and constantly redo my braids as my hair grows, I would trim a bit every time I redid it. I continued the trimming even after I got rid of the permed hair because I would see split ends that needed trimming. But I did that only when my hair needed it. I think the culprit was too much heat curling my braids for a curly look.

This week I bought a hair multi supplement, Vitol (Time-Released) Great Hair which has 3000 mcg biotin and 600 mg B5. I also bought MSM 1000mg which I take 3 times (3000mg). I was already on a multi which I alternate with Great Hair and was already on Evening Primrose Oil. I am sure I could improve on that regimen so I'm not quite done. I bought Cathy's UBH Dew and Conditioner a month ago and since joining this board (about a couple of weeks ago) I have added L'Oreal Anti-frizz Serum, Lekair Cholesterol and S-Curl; and replaced my Pantene with Creme of Nature shampoo. (I'm actually very proud of how well I'm keeping the PJ demon in me in check.
)

I haven't noticed breakage, some shedding yes but that doesn't bother me much since I expect it. I think I could use a trim though, as I noticed about 1/4" split in a hair I shed today. Having hair in braids makes trimming less painful, I think. I usually do the trimming myself. Because I redo braids in order, I just trim each one as I get to it and so by the time I'm done, they've all had a dusting. (BTW, I don't wear my braids for short periods at a time. I'm probably the only person I know who wears them 24/7. I am always redoing them one at a time as my hair grows so I take the strain off one section of my hair and attach the extension to new growth. I think this also helps prevent my hair from clumping up. I think my not using heavy leave ins and my rinsing thoroughly also prevent the build-up that leads to clumping at the base of the braid. I also don't use a comb. The only time I do is when I first put the braids in. I haven't experienced any problems with this method and my hair is the longest I've ever had it. I can't wait to see what difference the newfound knowledge makes - especially adding hair supplements!
)

The first step in the right direction was to take Brenda's advice blackwomenrejoice.com and wash my hair more often and condition condition condition since August 2001. I followed her advice and washed it especially whenever it felt dry or started to break. I wasn't really applying any leave-ins to my hair - not until a month ago - but I think the frequent washing (including conditioner-only washes) saved my hair from breaking. Enter Cathy Howse's book and I learned about deep conditioning with heat. It's only been one month or so on her products but I do feel better about my hair after a wash and condition. Before getting L'Oreal serum, I was using John Frieda's serum when my hair was wet and then spraying Dew while it was partly dry (ie damp) and letting it air dry; and I so loved how my hair felt. Now I've replaced JF with L'Oreal and I'm happy with it. Also I now have Lekair Cholesterol and I alternate it with UBH Conditioner using one for each of my two weekly washes as a deep conditioner. I have also added S-Curl to my daily night-time treatment, spraying it on the lower half of my braids to the ends and wrapping them with Saran wrap, then wearing a plastic cap over the rest of my head. In the day, I spray Dew on my hair. And I can say the difference S-curl has made is remarkable. My hair feel so moisturize and yet not sticky or greasy. Because I am so used to having nothing on my hair, I dreaded a heavy feel to it but Dew and S-curl are working perfectly. The only night I don't use S-curl is that before my wash, I instead apply an oil (Paltas) to my braids, one by one. To make sure I don't miss any, I first put them up at the top of my head in a pony using a scrunchy and then pull out one at time. Takes a while but I'm usually so into some TV-show while I do it, that I don't notice. I dip a finger or two in the oil and run them along the braid squeezing it so the oil soaks in. (BTW, I use a squeezing motion too when I shampoo or apply conditioner, and when I rinse my hair which takes forever.) Once I apply the oil, I then wear a plastic cap for the night. I never put anything on my scalp. I have also cut out curling irons. If my hair wasn't almost the same length as my extensions, I'd use it only on the hair piece. But it's too risky now so I don't use it at all.

I haven't done conditioner washes in a while. I did them more often when I didn't apply anything to my hair as I felt my hair needed them more. But then again, at the time, I didn't deep condition my hair with heat either so it didn't feel as moisturized as it does now that I do. So I haven't even thought of condition washes; ie my hair doesn't need them as desperately as it did then. But I am not against doing them. Just haven't done them lately.

I won't be measuring my hair any time soon, and I suggest you don't. That watched pot can be so stubborn. I liked the surprise I got when I saw the 7-9" length I didn't know I had and would like to feel that way again. So I will focus on getting it healthy and strong and as close to looking like Mufasa's (my idol) as possible, and let the length just creep up on me. (Yeah, and pigs might fly
But it's a nice thought, if only I can pull it off. I mean Yvette did it for one year. Waited patiently without checking on progress. So why the heck can't I????)

Daughter

UK Blak
Hello!

Since March (hen I started following advice on hair boards) I've gradually less breakage
I basically avoid heat like the plague (only blow dried once since then) and try to moisturise twice a day, though I've been slacking off lately. Hot oil treatments (I use olive oil mixed with jojoba and shea buter) have helped in my opinion.

I've been taking MSM and multivits since early April and last month I've added Evening Primrose oil cos I hear that's good for alleviating period pains.

I have rosemary in my garden so for the first time last week I boiled some and when it cooled down (while I shampoooed and conditioned) I used it as a rinse. I've also discovered Kemi 100% Shea Butter and love it. I'm no longer a product junkie, just sticking with what seems to be working.

I have a lot of shrinkage (I'm liking it tho) but when my hair is stretched I notice my hair is now below my shoulders and just a few inches above bra-strap. the front is around chin length.

All I need to do now is combat my dry scalp. I think I do need to drinmk more water (been slacking off there). My scalp was getting better but I do get the flakes. I have some tea tree oil so I'm going to give that a try. I found washing my hair every 4-6 days is helping...

Sista I understand your frustrations, I get like that sometimes. Patience really is key. I've seen your pics, your hair is lovely. Keep on keepin' on!

sithembile

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To all naturals

[/ QUOTE ]

See if this helps:
Natural hair regimens
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=102811&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=all&amp;vc=1

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Spagirl, it was really helpful!

ngaa

fashion i'm not very happy with my hair at the mo coz it seems not to be growin all because i'm measurin it every 2 mins!! i took my braids out last nite coz i was so frustrated and thot it needed some conditionin or something

between 3.5 and 5 inches long

been massaging my hairline with some castor oil and vit e coz my hairline had receded thanks to these cornrows i got a while ago

well its very healthy rite now thanks to the constant moisture and deep conditionigns and protective hairstyles and coz i havent used heat on my hair since august my hair has no split ends

What have you done to change your hair care routine for the better? i've added mo scalp massages

babyblue

My hair growth is coming along good. i probably get 1/2 and inch per month. 1/4 in some places.

I really cant tell. Reason being that i used to flat iron my hair often and the last time i pressed which had to be in February i was at bra strap. Since that time i have officially quit any and all types of heat styling and dont plan to straightening ever again so whatever growth i gained over the last few months is hidden in my shrinkage. My hair shrinks to shoulder lenght after washing. Since ive been taking good care of it lately i think if i were to straighten now it would be well passed bra strap.

Have you tried any new products, vitamins, herbs or oils lately?
Ive been playing around with different hair styling products, my last experiment with black and sassy creamy set was a disaster (can u say hard and crispy hair?) i also recently tried the kemi oyl shea butter pomade and i like it so far. My next experiement will be with my goody knock-off of the Denman brush that everyone on nappturality has been saying great things about lately.
As far as vitamins ive just been taking a cheap drug store brand multivitamin and nothing else. i found hair vits didnt really make such a big difference but then again i wasnt taking them consistently so who knows?

No abnormal breakage/shedding so far.

What have you done to change your haircare routine for the better?
Threw my hot comb away, hid my flat iron and blow drier in the closet. Also doing daily or every other day conditioner washes and keeping it moisturized. Most importantly not fighting with my hair trying to get it to do what it doesn't want or what it wasnt meant to do has really helped my hair tremendously.

inthepink

<font color="blue">How is your hair growth progress coming along? </font>
I think my progress is going fine. I'm transitioning so I kind of rate my progress by the amount of waves I have till it gets to straighter hair.

<font color="blue">How long is your natural hair now? </font>
Since I've been transitioning since mid-March, I have about 3 inches of new growth.

<font color="blue">Have you tried any new products, vitamins, herbs, or oils lately? </font>
I'm trying new products all the time! I am a product junkie. I recently purchased Hair Mayo by Africa's best and Organic Root Stimulator Carrot Oil which I'll use on my ends. Since I found the Suave Coconut Conditioner does nothing for me as a conditioner wash, I put it in a spray bottle with bottled water (70% conditioner, 30% water) and I sprayed it on my dried hair...it makes it sooo soft and lays it down, too. I also purchased two bone combs.

<font color="blue">Do you have healthy hair or have you been experiencing breakage? </font>
My hair is not as healthy as it could be. I am transitioning b/c of a bad relaxer that caused breakage down to new growth in a small section and also throughout the front of my hair. My goal is to prevent more breakage. So, I'm just conditioning and making sure to keep my new growth moisturized to prevent more breakage.

<font color="blue">What have you done to change your hair care routine for the better? </font>
I've decided not to use my curling iron even to curl the ends of my ponytail. I only plan on using heat when I get my hair trimmed which will be approximately every 2-3 months. No at home blowdrying or curling. I want to find various protective styles to protect my ends. I also plan to deep condition twice a week instead of once a week.

zoya_j

My last relaxer was July 2002 and my big chop was Jan 2003.
At first I was obsessed that my hair wasn't growing fast enough. But now I've realized that my hair is growing, no matter what I put on it, how many viatmins I take or not my hair will still grow. What matters is how I treat my hair: keeping it moisturized and detangling gently helps to maintain all the growth I have. I think my hair growth progress is fine. I don't know how much growth I get in a month, but it's growing

My hair is 4" aound my edges and 5-7" everywhere else

I've tried 100% shea butter by Nasab it's ok I guess, Nexxus Humectress my hair loves this and Elasta QP mango butter is another hit for my hair. I have acv and hennalucent that I haven't tried as yet. Plus I just ordered a bunch of essential oils.

I have healthy hair no breakage at all. Even shedding is at a minimum.

I've stopped combing my hair. I now wash/rinse my hair in sections. I do pre- shampoo treatments(castor, olive &amp; coconut oils) before every shampoo.

skegeesmb

It's coming along well. I haven't had a relaxer in almost two years. I've been natural for almost a year and a half.

When stretched my natural hair is 19" at it's longest, and 16" at it's shortest. When just washed the longest length is 4 inches shorter.

Nope. The only thing I bought and hated was Aussie conditioner, it doesn't do a thing for me. As for vitamins, I'm not as religious about taking them, but I still stick with a regime that I have used since 2001.

When my hair was about 9" stretched, I would have barely any breakage, but when my hair got longer than that, I started experiencing normal breakage. So the longer my hair gets, the more shedding I seem to have.

Rollersetting. That's about it.

DelightfulFlame

<font color="red">How is your hair growth progress coming along?</font>

Okay...I just did the big chop on August 9th, and then another mini chop about a week later, so it hasn't really been a whole month yet. However, I can see the growth. Now, my hair is curly/coily and looks the same length as it did picked out when I got my trim.

<font color="red">How long is your natural hair now?</font>

I just measured the longest point all stretched out and it is 1.5" (Yea for me!!!) This is great considering it was 3/4ths of an inch when I did the mini chop almost 3 weeks ago. If I keep this up, I'll meet my nappy goals in no time!

<font color="red">Have you tried any new products, vitamins, herbs, or oils lately?</font>

Nope, not this week.
I take GNC's UltraNourishair vitamins, Evening Primrose Oil, Flax Seed oil, Biotin, MSM, Silica, Kelp, Nettle, and Gelatin pills.

I no-poo after sleeping in LeKair's cholesterol conditioner or Suave Humectress. I shampoo once a week with Aubrey Island Spice shampoo after my hot oil/honey pretreatment. I use a protein conditioner once a month, after I clarify shampoo. I use Hennalucent semi-permanent hair dye about once every 3 weeks. My styling aids vary, while I'm looking to maintain moisture. I have found that my hair loves oils, so I use Aveda Elixir, CD Hair Milk, and some shea butter lotion I found in Wal-Mart. I also use a mixture of 2 oz. pure AO aloe vera gel and 10 drops rosemary eo on my thinning sides.

<font color="red">Do you have healthy hair or have you been experiencing breakage?</font>

Very healthy, since I chopped all the ends off. I keep it very moisturized and it's growing great.

<font color="red">What have you done to change your hair care routine for the better?</font>

Joined hair boards!!!

Peachtree

Wonderfully

About 4" in it's longest section

Yes....
LustraSilk's Cholesterol for daily CO washes. This conditioner is AWESOME!!!
Pantene Hydrating Curls... I use this after my moisturing poo. My relaxed hair is incredibly soft &amp; manageable... my natural hair gets some nice defined curls

I'm gonna get some HHB before the month's end

Thank God my overall hair is healthy.

I've recently did a mini big chop (from beyond bra clasp to a bit past shoulders). Better for me cuz I'm that much closer to my "natural" goal

Valerie

Not too bad, it is growing steady

Well my sides, touch the bottom of my chin, the back skimping the top bit of collarbone, it is more on the left side than the right, however the right side is not too far away.

At the moment, I am taking the same vitamins, herbs and oils listed in my profile, however, I shall be trying Hairtopia, when I can the money.

I experience breakage when my hair is not moisturised regularly. The rinsing is the key for me, but sometimes I am too lazy.

I will definitely be rinsing more, plus, I shall be mixing castor oil, with a little alma oil and aloe vera gel and putting it on my roots every night, also I can be applying to my ends as well.

Fashion Slave, I looked at your hair album and your hair has grown at lot, get someone to blow out your hair and then hot comb it, you will see the length better, it looks past your shoulders, don't worry about the shrinkage, once you loose out your hair and pull your strands to see how long it has grown, that is your true length. It is very thick and it is obviously long. Congratulations of your achievement. Keep up the good work.

Poobity

I think it's coming along okay. I don't see any breakage whenever I wash my hair.

Um, the last time I attempted to straighten it (Dec. 2002), it was a little past my armpits. So now it's probably a couple of inches above bra strap, straightened. My shrinks the nape of my neck when wet and when fully dry it shrinks down to 5 to 7 inches.

The only new thing I've tried is Pantene Hydrating Curls. I love the smell, and I use it whenever I no poo. So far what I use is 1)Kemi Moyst Shampoo whenever I need to shampoo, 2) Suave or Pantene for no pooing 3) ORS Hair Mayo for a deep conditioner 4) Kemi Oyl and Kemi Oyl Shea Butter Pomade for locking in moisture after I wash it.

I haven't experienced breakage, but I get tons of split and knotted ends, so I trim my hair periodically.

I quit using heat!

i12sitonmyhair

Chero-Khoi American
Hi I'm a
and I have to say that I LOVE THIS FORUM!! I've recently decided to take a serious interest in my hair and after reading some of the threads here, I think I'm gonna buy me some hair vitamins.

My hair is 100% natural. My last big chop was in Nov 1999. I just measured some strands from my "nape" area and they are 11". Some strands at the top of my head are 10". I didn't measure the front, but I think my hair is about the same all the way around. It's very healthy, no breakage lately. I spray Sta-Sof-Fro in it every day and condition regularly. At night, I wear a satin scarf and I keep my ends protected during the day. I read somewhere online that shampoo dries your hair out so I'm going to try the condition-only rinses after I finish the bottle of Pantene 2-in-1 Moisturizing Shampoo+Conditioner I just bought a few weeks ago.
Anyway, I'm glad to be here and thank you to all of you who have provided tips and suggestions!!