Calling all naturals who have straightened with grease or oil! Please share!

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
Hi ladies,

I was wondering what were the experiences of those on this board who have flat ironed their hair using coconut oil, grease, pressing oil, grape-seed oil etc...

I have been attempting to work out some tweaks in my flat ironing regimen and your thoughts would be very welcome.

If any of you have experimented with this or swear by it please share stories both positive and negative.

I would be very interested in learning about your experiences. :yep:.

Eta:

For a little bit of insight, my hair is 4b/c, coarse, and high density. I am looking to streamline my regimen by keeping it heat stretched, however my results don't seem to hold up very well.

When I flat iron, I usually pre-condition with coconut oil and a clay deep conditioning mask. Then I shampoo with a sulfate free shampoo. Then I deep condition with protein and follow that with a moisturizing silicone rich deep conditioner.

I then use a heat protectant leave in and serum before blow drying on low/warm, and then follow that up with my Hana flat iron at 370.

Last edited:

loulou82

Are you tweaking your regimen because your results don't last? Your hair isn't getting straight enough? No shine? No swing?

Have you tried applying a dab of oil after flat ironing and then doing a saran wrap and going under the dryer for 20 minutes?

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
loulou82

Are you tweaking your regimen because your results don't last? : The results don't last more than five minutes.

Your hair isn't getting straight enough? : I actually don't mind how my hair looks right after I have just done it. It has that kinky straight look to it I like and I can run my fingers through it.

No shine?: I get sheen, especially close up, so I like the amount of luster I am getting.

No swing?: I am not trying to get swing.

Have you tried applying a dab of oil after flat ironing and then doing a saran wrap and going under the dryer for 20 minutes?: I haven't because my hair would probably revert under the saran wrap. That method is not far from how I deep condition. When I add oil and then cover my hair with plastic while adding heat my head provides its own moisture. I generally don't have to add any.

MamitaLolita

I don't use grease, fries the hair and makes it stiff. I use a very moisturizing deep conditioner under a plastic cap, rinse it out and then blow dry before straightening. My hair doesn't revert until I wash it. I flat iron with a thick serum.

Conditioning with oil before hand has never worked well for me either. It locks moisture out of my hair and it ends up frizzy. I find that with straightening, little to no product is best

PJaye

Some things that have helped to refine my straightening process;

- Focusing on infusing as much moisture as possible before straightening. IME, the key to obtaining and retaining optimal straightening results is moisture. Moisture, moisture, moisture! To that end, every item that is placed upon my hair will be both highly emollient and sickeningly moisturizing. IMO, one can never over-moisturize the hair before straightening because it helps to produce sleek, straight, pouf-resistant hair. I cannot stress this point enough.

- Avoiding hidden proteins and protein-laden products. For me, protein only serves to prepare and strengthen my hair before and after the straightening process. As a result, I only use them during the weeks after and prior to straightening. If I use any during the process, my hair will not behave well and will produce subpar results. The only exception to this rule is silk.

- Using a light application of finishing products. Before air drying, I will apply a light leave-in conditioner (usually SSI Coco Cream given it’s consistency, slip and ingredients) and a bit of grapeseed oil to seal from root to tip. If I use too many products or anything that’s too emollient, it will jank up my results. I tried using EVCO and HV Vatika Oil a few times as a sealant, but since EVCO is a hidden protein, my results were less than stellar (less than stellar = less shiny, less straight + stiffer, greasier and more pouf-prone). Typically, I tend to favor heavier oils as sealants; however, I’ve found the grapeseed oil’s light, airy softness to be the perfect sealant prior to straightening.

- Avoiding protein-laden heat protectants and all serums. At this stage of the process, any protein besides silk is unnecessary and poses a potential threat to my end result. Conversely, serums are a superfluous layer of product that only seems to stiffen and weigh down my hair. Besides, the only serum that has ever provided me with decent results was Redken’s Heat Glide. For me, all that’s needed is a thorough spritzing of Tresemme’s Heat Tamer before picking up the flat iron.

- Suppressing the paranoia. During the entire process, I take a confident stance and trust my knowledge and techniques. I do not allow any fears of heat damage to enter my psyche. There would be no point in doing meticulous research and taking copious notes if I’m going to quiver with fear and second guess myself the entire time.

It took a lot of research, sampling and fine-tuning to achieve an optimal straightening method and I strongly urge you to continue doing the same (if you want to hasten your research, you could sample one method/product on either side of your head). Just be sure to come back to this he’ah thread and report your experiences and findings.:yep:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
Some things that have helped to refine my straightening process;

- Focusing on infusing as much moisture as possible before straightening. IME, the key to obtaining and retaining optimal straightening results is moisture. Moisture, moisture, moisture! To that end, every item that is placed upon my hair will be both highly emollient and sickeningly moisturizing. IMO, one can never over-moisturize the hair before straightening because it helps to produce sleek, straight, pouf-resistant hair. I cannot stress this point enough.

- Avoiding hidden proteins and protein-laden products. For me, protein only serves to prepare and strengthen my hair before and after the straightening process. As a result, I only use them during the weeks after and prior to straightening. If I use any during the process, my hair will not behave well and will produce subpar results. The only exception to this rule is silk.

- Using a light application of finishing products. Before air drying, I will apply a light leave-in conditioner (usually SSI Coco Cream given it’s consistency, slip and ingredients) and a bit of grapeseed oil to seal from root to tip. If I use too many products or anything that’s too emollient, it will jank up my results. I tried using EVCO and HV Vatika Oil a few times as a sealant, but since EVCO is a hidden protein, my results were less than stellar (less than stellar = less shiny, less straight + stiffer, greasier and more pouf-prone). Typically, I tend to favor heavier oils as sealants; however, I’ve found the grapeseed oil’s light, airy softness to be the perfect sealant prior to straightening.

- Avoiding protein-laden heat protectants and all serums. At this stage of the process, any protein besides silk is unnecessary and poses a potential threat to my end result. Conversely, serums are a superfluous layer of product that only seems to stiffen and weigh down my hair. Besides, the only serum that has ever provided me with decent results was Redken’s Heat Glide. For me, all that’s needed is a thorough spritzing of Tresemme’s Heat Tamer before picking up the flat iron.

- Suppressing the paranoia. During the entire process, I take a confident stance and trust my knowledge and techniques. I do not allow any fears of heat damage to enter my psyche. There would be no point in doing meticulous research and taking copious notes if I’m going to quiver with fear and second guess myself the entire time.

It took a lot of research, sampling and fine-tuning to achieve an optimal straightening method and I strongly urge you to continue doing the same (if you want to hasten your research, you could sample one method/product on either side of your head). Just be sure to come back to this he’ah thread and report your experiences and findings.:yep:

PJaye

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

I can't thank you enough for this! I am going to have to reread this to make sure it all sinks in, but this was a lifesaver! I have bolded the points I can already tell I was probably doing wrong.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

lux10023

the organix weightless Moroccan argan oil is everything, very light, great scent

ditto to what the ladies stated..it appears there is some product being used or missing that will drastically effect a good flatiron, its something that is trial and error to perfect it for each natural coif

ditto on the grape-seed oil as well...

Anaisin

Anaisin

What heat temperature would you suggest? I have tried up to 400 and have had similar results.

I used to get my hair straightened on 410. I'm 4a/b, fine, low/med density. Never reverted until I washed it, my hairstylist used to use One and Only argan oil and only a small amount for my whole head.

ag00

I have never used flat out oil to straighten my hair. I'm dying to try the crisco press though. But as I said before, I keep it safe and simple. My hair is like yours - 4b and coarse and my hair personally needs and likes products of thick consistency to have the best moisture, conditioning, and heat protection. So I stick to mainly grease.

I heat style only on freshly washed hair. I strictly use shampoos and conditioners that contain silicones (silicones protect the hair shaft from heat. It aids with the grease in protecting my hair). I use dime sized amounts of blue magic hair dress on damp hair. Blow dry it with comb attachment on medium heat. I usually bun it or twist it. If I want to flat iron, I flat iron on 400-410. I get sleek results and my hair looks permed. Last until wash day and I get full reversion.

My experience with grease has been nothing but satisfying. People are scared of it because they think it weighs your hair down and is greasy. Well it only weighs your hair down if you use too much and the greasiness last 2 days at the most before it dries up. Even so, I personally don't care about the greasiness because I do all this for maintenance. My hair is alot to deal with and I find it easier to keep it heat stretched. Grease just gives me the protection I need to keep my naps in tact.

Last edited:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I used to get my hair straightened on 410. I'm 4a/b, fine, low/med density. Never reverted until I washed it, my hairstylist used to use One and Only argan oil and only a small amount for my whole head.

Thank you Anaisin! Takes notes....

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I have never used flat out oil to straighten my hair. I'm dying to try the crisco press though. But as I said before, I keep it safe and simple. My hair is like yours - 4b and coarse and my hair personally needs and likes products of thick consistency to have the best moisture, conditioning, and heat protection. So I stick to mainly grease.

I heat style only on freshly washed hair. I strictly use shampoos and conditioners that contain silicones (silicones protect the hair shaft from heat. It aids with the grease in protecting my hair). I use dime sized amounts of blue magic hair dress on damp hair. Blow dry it with comb attachment on medium heat. I usually bun it or twist it. If I want to flat iron, I flat iron on 400-410. I get sleek results and my hair looks permed. Last until wash day and I get full reversion.

My experience with grease has been nothing but satisfying. People are scared of it because they think it weighs your hair down and is greasy. Well it only weighs your hair down if you use too much and the greasiness last 2 days at the most before it dries up. Even so, I personally don't care about the greasiness because I do all this for maintenance. My hair is alot to deal with and I find it easier to keep it heat stretched. Grease just gives me the protection I need to keep my naps in tact.

Thank you ag00, you are right about my hair being 4b and coarse like yours. It drinks up heavy products like no one's business. I remember doing a twist out with grease and two days later, there was no greasiness at all. I'm going to keep your comments in mind :yep:. I bolded the parts that stuck out to me.