CALLING ALL NATURALS WHO STRAIGHTEN! GET IN HERE PLEASE!

Sunshine0801

After more than four years of being natural, I am ready to straighten my hair for the first time! I have read dozens of threads on this board about straightening natural hair and have learned a lot, but I still have some lingering questions. I thought it would be helpful to have all naturals who straighten chime in and answer the questions below. TIA!

What type of hair do you have?

Are your strands fine, medium, or thick?

How do you prepare your hair to be straightened?

Please list all of the products that you use when straightening your hair and their purposes.

Which of the products listed above do you think are absolutely necessary and which are optional? Why?

In what order do you apply the products?

What type of flat iron do you use?

What temperature do you set your flat iron to?

How many times do you swipe the flat iron over each section?

Do you think it is less damaging to use a higher heat and swipe once or a lower heat and swipe more than once? Why?

How do you keep your hair moisturized after flat ironing it?

What tips do you have for someone with natural hair who is flat ironing for the first time?

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
4a/b, VERY tightly coiled, dense, and 80-90% shrinkage

fine strands that clump/bunch up together

I shampoo, condition, and blowdry on high temp with a comb attachment in sections. I sometimes use an electric pressing comb at 450 degrees Fahrenheit before flat-ironing.

Please list all of the products that you use when straightening your hair and their purposes.
Motions Nourish leave-in Conditioner (moisturize, detangle, condition, strengthen)
CHI Silk Infusion Reconstructing Complex (softness, manageability, locks in moisture, protect against heat styling)

Which of the products listed above do you think are absolutely necessary and which are optional? Why?
Both products for protection... however, I'm not sure if these products are really all that great if you are looking for super straight natural hair with my hair type. Even after using those two products and all that heat, my hair STILL gets frizzy and turns into a fro within minutes. Plus, I live in a humid climate. So I hope you get more responses in this thread because I'm looking for something to combat frizz and reversion.

After I get out of the shower, my hair is in 4 wet twists. I lightly towel dry, then I unravel a twist, spray the Motions Nourish leave-in and then apply the Chi Silk Infusion to that section and comb through. Then I will blowdry that section in smaller sections. I do this for each section after unraveling the twist.

Chi

The Chi flat iron doesn't have temperature settings on it, but I think it's 370 degrees Fahrenheit

Anywhere from 1 to 3 times

Do you think it is less damaging to use a higher heat and swipe once or a lower heat and swipe more than once? Why?
I don't think it matters, but I would rather use higher heat and less swipes because it's faster/saves time

No because it would revert immediately, but I sometimes apply oil to my ends

What tips do you have for someone with natural hair who is flat ironing for the first time?
Do as much research on LHCF and hair albums as possible!!! Maybe even ask a trusted professional about straightening tips for your specific hair type. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Poohbear, have you tried Sabino Moisture Block to help prevent reversion?
No I haven't tried it yet. I'm afraid to buy it, then try it, and then it not working for my hair type. Other women that I've seen try it have looser "easier to straighten" hair texture than me. I haven't seen anyone with my hair texture try it yet.

Transformer

I straighten by rollersetting first. Then I use curling iron or flat iron to touch roots (if necessary).

I use Giovanni Direct Leave In and Setting Lotion (Jane Carter's or whatever's on hand)

Rollerset using magnetic rollers with clips
Finishing Products ( Mizani H20 Nightime and castor oil)

I try to keep it real simple!

Sunshine0801

No I haven't tried it yet. I'm afraid to buy it, then try it, and then it not working for my hair type. Other women that I've seen try it have looser "easier to straighten" hair texture than me. I haven't seen anyone with my hair texture try it yet.

The company that sells it gives out free samples if you e-mail them (or at least they used to). :yep: The samples are pretty small, but at least it will give you an idea of whether the product works for you.

I have a sample but haven't used it yet. I think I will try that first when I flat iron.

SoCalli

3C

Fine

I prepoo with AO HSR or GBP

AO HSR or GBP
Oscar Blandi Alla Crema Shampoo
OB Alla Crema Conditioner topped with AO HSR or GBP
H2 Ion topped with Chi Silk Infusion

I think they are all necessary or I wouldn't use any of them. :grin:

In the order I listed the products above.

FHI Technique will be getting the FHI Runway though (the best of the best)

Between 375 and 450, literally. My guess would be that it is somewhere around 400.

One or two

I think the latter would be better strictly based on the fact that the temperature is lower.

I don't put anything on it after I flat iron it. I think that if you moisturized it wouldn't be straight anymore.

Do a monthly protein treatment.
Condition, condition, condition. I started co-washing my hair the day before I wash and flat iron it.
Use only heat products that releases ions. I will be getting an FHI blowdryer soon along with my Runway iron
Trim regularly

Last edited:

Choclatcotton

What type of hair do you have?I have 4a and some 3bc in the back of head

Are your strands fine, medium, or thick?Mine are fine and thick

How do you prepare your hair to be straightened?I make sure all conditioner is gone and hair is squeaky clean with a apple cider vinegar rinse.

Please list all of the products that you use when straightening your hair and their purposes.I use V05 heat protectant spray on, African pride hair grease.
Which of the products listed above do you think are absolutely necessary and which are optional? Why?The heat protectant is absolutely necessary to guard against heat damage.

In what order do you apply the products? Once 1.I finish my shampoo with Citre shine to strip the grease and gels,2. rinse with ACV3. skip cond. and spray on heat protectant,4. 4 braids then dome dryer, 5. blow dry remaining roots. 6.oil sections and hot comb. (I intend to purchase a turmoline flat iron)

What type of flat iron do you use?Guess I already answered.

What temperature do you set your flat iron to? I've seen some video on utube set on 400

How many times do you swipe the flat iron over each section? Have yet to try.

Do you think it is less damaging to use a higher heat and swipe once or a lower heat and swipe more than once? Why?I would think a lower heat but that is my opinion, any heat damage can't be undone.

How do you keep your hair moisturized after flat ironing it?Olive oil and coconut oil mixed along with a little African Pride.

What tips do you have for someone with natural hair who is flat ironing for the first time? Be very careful, test, on a white tissue for burns, tissue should be lightly , barely brown.::drunk:COLOR]__________________

Last edited:

Eclass215

4a/b

I'd say medium

Wash, DC with cap for an hour

Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Pak (for the DC), Giovanni's direct leave in conditoner, Biosilk silk therapy

I always use the Olive Oil pak because it makes my hair easier to detanlgle and soft. I always use the biosilk because it gives a nice shine and silk feel without being greasy.

DC - Leave in - Biosilk (both before and after I blowdry and straighten)

I use a Chi

Only 1 temp - HOT!

I swipe once to straighten, and once again to curl - maybe twice if needed. When I get my hair pressed at the salon, she uses a hot comb first, then the Chi iron in one or two swipes.

I prefer the higher heat because it gets the job done faster. Less heat is probably better but takes longer and might still not be as straight.

I use Biosilk daily pretty much.

I's suggest going to a professional that you trust - that way they can see the whole picture from angles you can't. Also, they can trim your ends if they're raggedy. My first time pressing my hair when it was natural, my ends looked a mess. I was not moisturizing as much as I should have been, but she helped me.

Trace

Sunshine, you know you can ask a grip of questions!!!! :grin: I understand, though. :drunk:

I have 3 something-ish hair.

Strands are medium.

I usually prepoo the night before with EO's, wash (if I'm being good) with Aubrey Organics (J.A.Y.), DC with Banana Brulee or Redken Smooth Down, blow dry w/o attachment using a wide tooth comb. I tried letting it air dry but it took a long time to dry and so much longer to press/flat iron.

I use Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide Protective Smoother Serum - it's protects the hair from heat damage and helps tame frizz, which is my number one enemy. That's pretty much all my hair can tolerate, aside from a little bit of Nourish and Shine when I'm finished.

Which of the products listed above do you think are absolutely necessary and which are optional? Why? Both, Redken for heat and Nourish and Shine for extra protection on my ends and the additional shine is a plus.

Redken on towel-dried hair and N&S after flat iron.

I use a Sedu for the flat iron and a Gold N Hot electric pressing comb.

The absolute highest temp of 450. It takes a lot of heat to straighten my hair.

2-3 times, at least. Again, it's tough straightening my hair. I actually think Sedu is just pretty good for an electric flat iron, but I could stand from a iron that gets hotter then I wouldn't have to go over it so much.

See above. I'm not quite sure - it probably equals out to be the same. I know I could finish my hair a lot faster if the iron was hotter.

I use a bit of N&S - too much weighs my hair down.

What tips do you have for someone with natural hair who is flat ironing for the first time?[/quote]
Something I've learned from LHCF is to use a heat protectant before flat ironing. Shout out to all the LHCF'ers b/c I've learned so much! :yep:

amara11

4a/b

THICK

Detangling is the BIGGEST key for me. When My hair is dry, I section it into about 6 or so separate sections and I apply gobs of conditioner (I've found that the $2-4 Lekair's or Queen Helene's brands that come in a 16 oz tub work best. I can use a lot, and they really soften my hair- and not many conditioners do). I also started liking Silk Elements conditioner- it really softens my hair and moisturizes it! It's funny after years of trying the expensive stuff the products that work the best for me are the cheapies. Go figure. Anyhoo- after sectioning and applying conditioner, I take time to carefully detangle each section with my Denman D5 brush. After I detangle each section, I rebraid it to keep it detangled. Once hair is fully detangled I wash it while in the braids. I then apply conditioner while I shower (normally I leave it on longer, but after detangling with it on my dry hair, I've already gotten a pretty good DC in.) I then blowdry in sections using a comb attachment and my denman brush.

Detangling, and working in sections help TREMENDOUSLY b/c if you're hair is uber thick, it can be intimidating and you'll either want to quit or you'll lose patience!

Detangling- Either Lekair's or Queen Helene's Conditioner (16 oz, they're both ORANGE)
Shampoo- Aveda Dry Remedy (I LOVE the shampoo but don't like the rest of the stuff in this line, when i used it I still had to use the Lekair's). I also like Ojon's Rosemary Moss (the exact name escapes me at the moment) It has a minty, tea like smell and feels great on the scalp.
Heat protectant- I use just about any brand, I don't have one I'm loyal too yet, I think what I have at home right now is by Elasta QP (spray).

That's about it, once my hair is conditioned and washed, I tend not to use a bunch of products b/c they weigh my hair down, I like the light fluffy, look so I try to use really moisturizing products so I don't need the extra product.

Necessary- Shampoo- since I DC on dry hair, I really need to make sure everything is washed off so that I don't leave any residue behind.
Conditioner- goes without saying. I need the moisture- gotta have it.
Heat protectant- also goes without saying, I love a great press- but I also love my natural hair and want it to revert back after I'm over the 'hawain silky'.

I deep condition, detangle, shampoo, heat protectant-blowdry.

I have a CHI, but I'm looking into the FHI as well as the Maxiglide.

I really don't pay attention to that. Yah, I know that's boo boo on my part, but I do know that I keep it in the higher ranges. For one, my hair is resistant and two, I like to keep the number of times I go over a section down to an absolute minimum- normally once but definitely no more than 2x.

normally once but definitely no more than 2x.

Wow, I guess I anticipated that question in my answers! ^^^^
but again, I dunno which is more or less damaging, but I know I don't have any heat damage on my head. But then again, I have that course stuff growing out of my scalp, so my hair can take a lil bit more.

Internally, fluid consumption, vitamins, etc. Like I said, I don't like to put anything on my hair once it's blowdried and flat ironed, so I just don't. If my hair starts to get dry, I just go ahead and DC. It's funny tho, because once I'm done doing my hair, moisture issues really aren't a big deal because of the process I use to straighten, DC, shampoo, condition, etc..
After that my diet and supplements take over until I'm done with the 'do'.

DETANGLE!!!!!
Keep it in sections. Always work in sections!
CONDITION CONDITION CONDITION. Err on the side of too much.
Get a Denman. D5 if your hair is thick.
I like the Ion blowdryers because of the way your hair feel when it's dry. They're also less damaging to the hair shaft, and they leave you with a little sheen.

hth, and good luck!:yep:

Sunshine0801

Sunshine, you know you can ask a grip of questions!!!! :grin: I understand, though. :drunk:

Girrrrrrl, I ain't playin! :grin:

I've worked too hard these last four years to mess around and ruin my hair flat ironing it!

Plus, I figured these are questions that many natural ladies probably have, and it would be very useful to have them answered all in one thread. :yep:

Trace

Girrrrrrl, I ain't playin! :grin:

I've worked too hard these last four years to mess around and ruin my hair flat ironing it!

Plus, I figured these are questions that many natural ladies probably have, and it would be very useful to have them answered all in one thread. :yep:

Yeah, it's good to read different folk's regimens. How often do you intend on flat ironing? You just checking for length?

Sunshine0801

Yeah, it's good to read different folk's regimens. How often do you intend on flat ironing? You just checking for length?

I plan to flat iron once this year at the end of the WL By End of Summer Challenge and twice a year starting next year. I work out a lot and wearing my hair kinky is very low maintenance for me, so it wouldn't be in my best interest to flat iron more than twice a year.

And yeah, I'm mainly checking for length. I'm also curious to see what my hair looks like straight at this length (or hopefully WL by the end of next month when I straighten it :pray:). My hair has never been as long as it is now, and a girl gets tired of pulling and tugging hair all over her head to see how long it is. :drunk:

Lucky's Mom

WHEW!!!!!! GIRL!!! I am tired lookin' at all these questions!!!!:lachen:
I only straighten my hair 4 times a year ( and it may be less after December)
But - here it goes.....

uh....I dunno.... 3c/ 4a/4b - however - the texture keeps changing....

medium and dense

Well, I do everything to infuse major Moisture....This would include but be not limited to:
Caramel treats
Coconut & Lime Treats
Major deep conditioning with moisture post poo
Steam Treatments

Sectioned and detangled hair goes without saying. My hair is rarely tangled because it is always braided or twisted.

Natural & Organic products,metioned above - moisture infusion

homemade leave ins - leave in conditioning
Beyond Straight by maxius - helps to straighten
Sabino Moisture Block - blocks moisture

All of them are essential ..... Why? For optimal results

I would follow the natural pattrern of how one applies products...

MaxiGlide, Sedu, or solia

Crank it to 450 baby. I guess 400 would be ok... However I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing this without Sabino. BTW - the maxi glide only goes to 430.

Who knows. I am old, I cannot remember that far back.

High heat - Swipe once. Let the hair cool off before you swipe again.

Steam Treatments. Moisture will stick around.

Take your time. And Don't FREAK out at fuzz or POOFS!!!!
With practice your hair will look great.:lick:

Last edited:

Snuckles

Bumping . . . because I love this thread. It's great to have all of this information in one place. Great questions btw. I'll come back and answer after my Sabino Moisture Block arrives.

inthepink

My hair mostly 3c and a little bit of 3b.

My strands are medium.

I like to rollerset my hair first.

*Motions Nourish Leave-In Conditioner - I used this in a spray bottle section by section as I roll.
*Lottabody Setting Lotion - I put a tad bit of this in the bottle with the Motions.
*Any serum - I add this section by section after Salerm as well as on my ends as I roll.
*Salerm 21 Leave in Conditioner - I apply section by section.
*Ion Heat Protectant - I use this section by section as I flat iron.

All of them are necessary b/c they all serve a specific purpose. Detangling, straightening, shine, and protection!

1. Salerm
2. Serum
3. Motions/Lottabody
4. Serum
5. Heat Protectant

Sedu

I set it between 375 and 400 degrees.

I usually swipe just once.

I think both can be ok though generally lower heat with two swipes is probably better than one swipe with higher heat. I would think the higher heat might shock the hair!

I use serum on my ends nightly and a little all over before wrapping. Every 3rd day, I'll apply a tad bit of hair lotion.

Go slow and take your time. Do your hair section by section by section. Don't rush to finish. If you need to take a break, then do it. Start off with lower heat until you see how your hair reacts.

sillygirl82

What type of hair do you have? 3c/4a ish hair, coiled and some shrinkage

Are your strands fine, medium, or thick? Mostly fine

How do you prepare your hair to be straightened? I prepoo,I wash, conditioned, towel dry with turbie twist. Section hair, apply leave-in, apply heat protectant, blow dry and then flat iron

EVOO and a cheap conditioner - prepoo
Healthy sexy hair chocolate soymilk shampoo - sulfate free, less stripping of the hair
Soymilk conditioner
Fekkai shea butter hair mask - leave-in conditioner
Sabino moisture block - heat protectant and anti-humectant

They all are. You need to protect your hair if you are going to apply heat.

In what order do you apply the products? They are listed in order

What type of flat iron do you use? Solia

What temperature do you set your flat iron to? 370 or 450

How many times do you swipe the flat iron over each section? 1 or 2

Higher heat equals faster results

How do you keep your hair moisturized after flat ironing it? The sabino moisture block keeps a good deal of moisture sealed in the hair, but I apply carol's daughter healthy hair butter for a decent moisturizer and sometimes I add a little evoo over that.

What tips do you have for someone with natural hair who is flat ironing for the first time? Be gentle and patient and use decent products.

Last edited: