Calling All Naturals!!!

Irresistible

Now that i FIRED my hairdresser (well I didnt fire him , he was good, just dont need him anymore, to do what I can do myself)

anyhow, now that i stopped going to him, I hardly get any trims at all. I rarely trim my hair and find I actully dont really need them!!!!

Any other naturals out there finding you dont even really need to trim at all anymore???????

Irresistible

My goodness, if thats all your hair in your avatar, im blown away, wow.

Well its good to know its not just me, I might give up trims all together for a while....Ive only been doing dusting when i heat style, but Im thinking thats not even necessary.

we shall see.

Vintagecoilylocks said:
oops that no splits.

Peachtree

Hey Iris :wave:

I haven't trimmed since I cut off the relaxed ends Oct 2nd, 04. I'm extra gentle with my hair, I never heat style, my hair isn't tangly, so I guess it's safe to say my ends should be in tip top condition.

I'm planning to do a rollerset soon... then I'll be able to see if my ends need dusting, etc, but until then, I'm leaving well enough alone :cool:

Irresistible

oh my!!

Anxiously awaiting those pics girl....anxiously awaiting!!!

I'm thinking thats the only reason I do still need to trim some at all, is when i do press.

Its been four month since my last press!!!!!

*Taking bow* cause i didnt go that long all last year.....its that laziness again i tell ya.

Its alot of dang work!!!!!!
Peachtree said:

I haven't trimmed since I cut off the relaxed ends Oct 2nd, 04. I'm extra gentle with my hair, I never heat style, my hair isn't tangly, so I guess it's safe to say my ends should be in tip top condition.

I'm planning to do a rollerset soon... then I'll be able to see if my ends need dusting, etc, but until then, I'm leaving well enough alone :cool:

Peachtree

Shoot, pressing all of ur length?!?! I'm getting a headache just thinking about it :lol:

As far as rollersetting, girl, I've been saying that since Jan :lol: ... still haven't did it yet :ohwell: ... However, I'm really gonna do it fairly soon cuz I wanna get a good look at my ends on straight hair.

:clap: :bouncy: :clap:
Congrats on going this long without heat styling! I know, that's a MAJOR accomplishment. I remember when I was relaxed (b4 the boards) I hot curled dry hair DAILY!!! Then I found this board & almost passed out when I learned that I would have to give up my daily ironing :lol: . I just took it one day at a time... before I knew it, I was totally "off" the iron, & haven't thought about it since :clap: !!!

Irresistible said:
oh my!!

Anxiously awaiting those pics girl....anxiously awaiting!!!

I'm thinking thats the only reason I do still need to trim some at all, is when i do press.

Its been four month since my last press!!!!!

*Taking bow* cause i didnt go that long all last year.....its that laziness again i tell ya.

Its alot of dang work!!!!!!

Irresistible

I really really wanna see your roller set!!!!

do I still get the jumpy faces and claps if I press it this weekend??

dont take em back please!!!!!

lol
Peachtree said:
Shoot, pressing all of ur length?!?! I'm getting a headache just thinking about it :lol:

As far as rollersetting, girl, I've been saying that since Jan :lol: ... still haven't did it yet :ohwell: ... However, I'm really gonna do it fairly soon cuz I wanna get a good look at my ends on straight hair.

:clap: :bouncy: :clap:
Congrats on going this long without heat styling! I know, that's a MAJOR accomplishment. I remember when I was relaxed (b4 the boards) I hot curled dry hair DAILY!!! Then I found this board & almost passed out when I learned that I would have to give up my daily ironing :lol: . I just took it one day at a time... before I knew it, I was totally "off" the iron, & haven't thought about it since :clap: !!!

Kha

I very seldom trim these days, my trims are actually cuts and I trim/cut once or twice a year. My ends hold up pretty well and I hardly ever get too many splits.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
i havent trimmed since the bc in Feb. Right now i'm wearing it in a wash and go style, its sorty curly and you cant even see my ends. I do have some heat damage from when I tried to straighten while transitioning and I will get those cut off probably in June after my one year no relaxer anniversary. I want to wait to see how much growth I actually get in one year.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Interesting topic!!! :yep:

I always wondered if there were any naturals here that don't trim. I'm thinking about not using heat ever again. Now that I have more newgrowth than the last time I used heat on my hair (March 1st), I'm afraid to use a blowdryer or flat iron on my natural hair. (I better get rid of my blowdryer and the Maxiglide I still havent used!) At first, I felt like the only way to trim natural hair is by first straightening it with heat. From what I read, looks like that statement is false and that I may not even have to trim my hair as much - if ever - when natural! :shocked:

Now I really have something to look forward to when I'm completely natural! COOL! :grin:

lsubabiedee

Peachtree said:

u chopped on my bday!!! lol

umm...i guess i'll say something about trimming here too...i have trimmed a few times since i bc'ed b/c my ends are always exposed and I have a bit of color on the ends...i only trim when i need it...not just for the hell of it

Divastate

I just about always wear my hair out (either freeform or puff) and I've only trimmed my hair one time a year since going natural 3 years ago. My ends have been in great shape the entire time and the 2 times I've gotten my hair pressed I was told my ends were in great condition by stylists. I figure if it ain't broke don't fix it- I keep telling myself that I'm going to start trimming more. But then I get lazy and before I know it months have passed by without me manipulating my hair much anyways :)

Ayeshia

Irresistible said:
Now that i FIRED my hairdresser (well I didnt fire him , he was good, just dont need him anymore, to do what I can do myself)

anyhow, now that i stopped going to him, I hardly get any trims at all. I rarely trim my hair and find I actully dont really need them!!!!

Any other naturals out there finding you dont even really need to trim at all anymore???????

I soooo wish I could say this, but I think my hair would suffer if I didn't. Too many knots :( If I could find a cure for knots then most if not all my hair probs would be solved.

Daisy'sHair

Since going natural I have only had one trim and that was after my big chop, I dont plan to trim until May which will mark my six months of being natural. Really I would not trim my hair but the ends get really tangled, I don't have split ends or anything, but I like nice ruly ends.

Most likely with the way my hair texture is always changingsinec going natural I will probably stop having to trim. I know a lot of naturals who have not cut or trimmed their hair since going natural and they have the most healthy and beautiful heads or hair I've ever seen. :)

Mahalialee4

No dry ends, no knots, no tangles, no splits and no trims! For I just realized it,I thought it was one year but I am going on 2 yrs. Bonjour

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Unfortunately I get a bit of breakage now and then so I cannot go without a trim every 8 weeks. :(
I envy all of you that can go without trimming for so long.

Gullahgirl

FlowerHair said:
Unfortunately I get a bit of breakage now and then so I cannot go without a trim every 8 weeks. :(
I envy all of you that can go without trimming for so long.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ME TOO! But I haven't been as good to my hair as I should be.
I think if one is extra precautious and uses lots of moisture and protective
styles, you can prolong going trim-free.

Vintagecoilylocks

Hi Iris,

That is not me in the avatar but its my first goal. A nice long puff of hair settled at my tail bone. She has the same volume of mine. I have alwas loved the painting to. If your hair does not need a trim why do you trim?
Your hair is so beautiful and thick my dream hair but i am a fine and thin head so have to accept it for what it is.
I started my actual attempt to grow my hair in 2002 with all the information gathered from the internet. It was always an elusive dream i felt completely out of control to make happen. I found the long and natural hair site and he did not advocate the need to trim. I called and chatted with him about my desire to grow my hair and he said it can be done with out trimming. Now I don't have dry or split ends so there really is no need. The way my hair coils up a straight cut looks no different then a U or V shape.

ChocoKitty

I don't usually trim but I plan to get a trim or dust every 6 months. My last trim was in Jan 21st. I'm getting trims because I heat style sometimes and am trying to grow out some layers.

balisi

I've been natural for four months now and I have not had any need for a trim, but when my hair was relaxed, I was constantly cutting off splits. The difference is amazing!

Lucia

I don't blow straight to trimm anymore I just dust when needed. If I'm going to wear a straight style then it's the same i can see the splits when i have them. I don't have much splits if at all since returning to being natural.

Last edited:

SVT

Irresistible said:

Because of shrinkage, my hair doesn't really show its uneveness. My last professional trim was in 2001. I'm getting a trim soon anyway because I don't like covering up the uneveness when I wear it straight.

oglorious1

Mixologist
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: GO IRIS, GO IRIS, GO IRIS!!! I fired my the peple that braid my hair, I'm happy to say, the money I was going to spend on getting braids, twist extension, has been spent on buying new products to do my hair at home, without extensions....You're an inspiration...I'm gonna see if I can stick it out for a year....