Calling Haircolor Guru's - How To Change From Black Color (Semi Permanent) to Brown!!

Reecie

Ok. This is probably a dumb question, but I've searched the hair care boards and internet and have come up with nothing!! Now I am even more confused.

SO... back in September 08, I colored my hair with Clairol's Natural Instincts in Midnight black (Semi-Permanent, but from what I hear, might as well be labeled Demi-permanent). I REALLY love to change up my look with color. I have thought long and hard and now really want my hair color to be a dark brown (Shade Level 3 or 4) that looks something like this:

Here is my problem. What products do I need to use to achieve this? I've read the only way to get black color out is to use a color remover, however, that post referred to permanent color. I've also read that if the black color is Semi Permanent and you are only coloring 2-3 shades lighter, you can use:

#1) The color of your choice AND
#2) Level 10, 20 or 30 Developer

PLEASE help a sister out. I am confused and frustrated. Is there anyone that has SELF COLORED and gone from black semi permanent to shade of brown?

gymfreak336

Re: Calling Haircolor Guru's - How To Change From Black Color (Semi Permanent) to Bro

So let me get this straight...you colored back in 2008? You still have that color left in your hair? What is your natural hair color?

Reecie

Re: Calling Haircolor Guru's - How To Change From Black Color (Semi Permanent) to Bro

Probably 1B (off Black) or 2 Very Dark Brown.

gymfreak336

Okay....

If you feel that you still have remnants of the color left, you can try the method in this thread. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=1708&highlight=removing+color

I have used it before except I don't precondition for 30 minutes, maybe 10, and I only condition for 5 minutes afterward before proceeding. I also don't redeposit the color on the same say. I like to wait to see what color my hair develops to after the treatment after a couple of days. I also shorten the amount of time the Uncolor is on my head.

Another option you have is to apply Lumanize for 10 minutes to remove any previous color residue.

After you do that, you can go for the brown you want. If your natural color is already dark brown, the lumanize would probably be find for you since it only lifts one level at a time. You can use the lumanize and then deposit the color you want via a rinse to get to where you are trying to be.

The clairol pro website would probably be a good resource for you. Just google clairol pro and it will come up.

Good luck!

Reecie

Thanks, girl.