Demi-permanent color- your experience

GettingKinky

So I told my stylist that I'm thinking of going natural and she said on natural hair semi-permanent color doesn't cover grays well and I would have to switch to demi-permanent. atever that means)

I think what she means is that the semi-permanent works well right after a relaxer because the cuticle is open. I can tell that the color takes better and lasts longer when she applies it on relaxer day vs non-relaxer day. So I don't think it's natural v relaxed hair, but open v closed cuticle.

From what I've read demi-permanent color uses peroxide to open the cuticle so the color will penetrate better. She said we would only have to do a level 5 (whatever that means)

She said we could do the demi-permanent on the roots only and semi-permanent on the rest, but I think she's suggesting this because she mistakenly believes that semi-permanent works better on relaxed hair.

In principle demi-permanent sounds no more damaging than relaxing plus semi-permanent color, and my hair has tolerated that well. But I'm a little scared. Does anyone have any experiences to share?

faithVA

Many naturals use semi-permanent with good results. I would ask her if you can try that first. If it doesn't work it usually washes out very quickly.

However, if you do want to go demi-permanent, she may be right in using the demi on the roots and the semi on the rest. The thing with demi, is that it last for a while but eventually it wears off unlike permanent. So at some point you have to recolor that section. It is best to avoid overlapping color just like you don't want to overlap relaxer.

A demi-permanent on the roots with the right protein treatments should be fine.

GettingKinky

I never even though about the fact that I would have to reprocess the same hair after the color wears off. That sounds worse than relaxing.

I got semipermanent color last night without a touchup and the grays didn't take well, so I think she may be right about going to demi permanent, but I'm still afraid.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
You could just use heat to open the cuticle and the semi becomes a demi color. The instructions on my rinse state this. I use beyond the zone color jamz. It says to process for up to 20 minutes with heat for more lasting results

GettingKinky

Prettymetty - at the salon I sit with the semipermanent on under the dryer, but my grays are resistant. They do not want to take the color.

But I may just stick with semi and do it more often. I have clear cellophane at home and it's not that hard to apply. I just have to buy a color version and do it every few weeks. But that seems like such a hassle. Decisions decisions.

Crystal

My grays laugh at semi permenant. Semi's do absolutely nothing for me. I use a demi. I used to use Color gems with a developer until they discontinued, now I use I think it's called Wella? in the blue box from Sally's. I'm natural and it covers 100 percent. I've never noticed any damage in the many years I've used a demi.

I used to use bigen but that stuff gave me headaches.

I've heard of some gray heads using Henna. But it's demi for me.

LJBFly

I used Clairol Radiance for years on both relaxed and natural hair with no problems. I only had to reapply to roots. The rest of my hair held its color.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Loreal makes a great semipermanent that covers grays. It used to be called "Colorspa", but I think they changed the name. What brand are you using now GettingKinky?

werenumber2

I used to use Color gems with a developer until they discontinued, now I use I think it's called Wella? in the blue box from Sally's. I'm natural and it covers 100 percent. I've never noticed any damage in the many years I've used a demi.

:yep: I'm not relaxed but I've used the Wella Color Charm demi-permanent several times and have had no problems with it. My hair actually feels quite nice after I do a treatment.

GettingKinky

Loreal makes a great semipermanent that covers grays. It used to be called "Colorspa", but I think they changed the name. What brand are you using now GettingKinky?

I'm using Sebastian at home. I don't know what brand my stylist uses. I'll have to ask.

I feel better hearing that people are using demis with no damage.

gimbap

I don't have grays, but I am natural and have attempted to use semi-permanent color several times over the years. My hair laughs at them. It doesn't matter the brand, it doesn't matter if I use heat. My relaxed hair used to take semi-permanent color with no problems.

Bigen is color that I've used that worked really, really well. It doesn't have ammonia so it's not like regular permanent dyes.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm still thinking of doing a demi permanent color. Rinses don't do jack for my natural hair :nono: My ladt rinse was gone after the first shampoo. A total waste of my time and money :(

I want to try the Ion brand from Sally's

GettingKinky

I just tried it today. My stylist used 3N color (natural dark brown) and volume 5 developer. It smelled horrible while I sat with it on (ammonia smell), but my hair didn't fall out and doesn't feel dried out so I'm happy.

It looks great so far the color looks natural . Now I just have to see how it holds up to washing.

JaneBond007

5v is very gentle and anything 10v and lower only deposits color. It doesn't open the cuticle as much as 20v and above. Do you know which color company she used for the dye itself? Demis don't usually have that sharp ammonia smell. Maybe she used a permanent dye with the 5v developer that was a neutral?. Ask her to use a creme dye for demi only next time. And there's something called "Grey Magic" drops you can add to your dye mix that will cover the greys.

GettingKinky

JaneBond007 how can I tell if it was a creme color? She mixed it in a bowl and applied it with a sprush. It started off orange and ended up very dark brown.

ETA I don't know what brand she used. I'll ask her next time.

JaneBond007

Liquids are in a small bottle. Cremes come in a tube. Somebody mentioned "ION" brand ad they are good and smell very nice. It's not top of the line, but it is good. If yours a high-end salon? Might be diff. I know that ammonia tends to dry hair.

GettingKinky

It's not a high end salon but it's pretty nice. I'll make sure to ask her next time. And I'll look into gray drops. Can they be used with semipermanent color?

Transformer

I use demi coloring all the time and I've never had the ammonia smell. In fact, that's what makes it different from permanent coloring.

crlsweetie912

Liquids are in a small bottle. Cremes come in a tube. Somebody mentioned "ION" brand ad they are good and smell very nice. It's not top of the line, but it is good. If yours a high-end salon? Might be diff. I know that ammonia tends to dry hair.

I have used ion demi permanent for years. I am relaxed though. Works very well!

outspokenwallflower

I am the demi-ying fiend. I have tried a ton of demi-permanent brands, AND I'm relaxed; I have NEVER EVER had any issues. The brands I've tried:

Redken Shades EQ (gloss & cream version are both amazing; after trying various brands it's still my favorite after 6 years)
Aloxxi Tones
Salem Color Soft
Alter Ego Egocolor
Clairol Natural Instincts

That's all I can think of for now. I've also tried various different types of semi-permanent color brands and there are definitely some that are better than others. There are also a TON of brands that make color depositing conditioners & shampoo's to maintain the freshness of the color until your next color-touch up.

Overall, I love demi-permanent color. It leaves a more rich, vibrant result, doesn't lighten, covers grays (if you have any) and lasts way longer than semi but is not as damaging as permanent. The dedicated developers in each brand is always less than the minimum of 10 vol for permanent.

1BalancedBeauty

I use demi-permenant once in a while. When I dye my hair darker, I usually want something that's not going to wash out as quick but will cover my gray. This usually does the trick, and doesn't dry my hair out.

faithVA

I have used demi-permanent but I currently use permanent. I found that the products the salons use smell stronger than what I mix at home whether it is demi or permanent.

I haven't found permanent to be any more drying than demi-permanent and both initially cover my gray well. I do a protein treatment a week after both. Because I color my hair myself I found the permanent to be better long-term. I only dye my roots every 2 to 3 months. With the demi permanent the color wears off and so my ends would be gray and brittle which doesn't work for me since I don't want to color the entire strand.

I really couldn't tell the difference between demi and permanent and I used the ion with the same level of developer with both.

GettingKinky

From reading online I've found that demi-permanent uses an ammonia substitute, I'm guessing that's what I smelled.

I am concerned about having to keep retreating the entire length of my hair, but this time she only did the roots. I'm just going to play it by ear.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I have used demi-permanent but I currently use permanent. I found that the products the salons use smell stronger than what I mix at home whether it is demi or permanent. I haven't found permanent to be any more drying than demi-permanent and both initially cover my gray well. I do a protein treatment a week after both. Because I color my hair myself I found the permanent to be better long-term. I only dye my roots every 2 to 3 months. With the demi permanent the color wears off and so my ends would be gray and brittle which doesn't work for me since I don't want to color the entire strand. I really couldn't tell the difference between demi and permanent and I used the ion with the same level of developer with both.

You are always so detailed with your coloring experience. Now don't get mad when I start PM'ing you with a billion questions when I go jet black in the future. :)

faithVA

You are always so detailed with your coloring experience. Now don't get mad when I start PM'ing you with a billion questions when I go jet black in the future. :)

Well thank you Ms. lulu97. You are welcome to PM anytime you want. I am definitely not an expert on color but I have done a lot of stuff both good and bad.

I bought some Grecian Formula from Canada to see if it will work on my hair in between color jobs :look: I will post on how it works in February or March.

And L'Oreal just came out with the Mousse Absolue for touch ups which I'm excited about. That is on my list too.

For now, at least the next 6 weeks I get to join normal color hair :yep:

faithVA

This thread has reminded me I wanted to create a new thread for those who color their hair.

Do you ladies think it would be offensive if I called the thread For Colored Girls Only?

I like the name but I know it might ruffle some feathers.