Can anyone explain this phenomeon?????

MAHOGNEY329

Future ESQ. w/nice hair:)
My mom's hair has changed totally, since she began to gray. Her thickness and texture has change. Does anyone know why this happened and if there are any products that help rectify the graying process. Thanks in advance:)

AudraChanell

Hello Mahoganey. There is nothing your mom can do about graying. It is actually hair that's loss pigment and grows out this way. Short of coloring and adjusting to the texture, I am not sure there is much she can do.

blue_flower

I've noticed that the gray hairs I have are coarser and somewhat stronger than my black hair. I'm not sure how your mom's texture has changed because you didn't say.

Healthb4Length

I read an article in essence mag a couple of years ago about graying hair. Basically it said that the hair is courser and obviously grays because of loss of pigment/melanin. This can be attributed to a variety of factors including age, hormones and stress. Nothing can really be done about hair turning gray short of dying it etc, the article also stated that sometimes the gray hair rejected relaxers or chemicals.

MAHOGNEY329

Thank you all for answering:)

Her hair used to be really full and thick; now it is thining and her gray is very resistant to the products that she normally used and it stands out terribly.

Do you all think that there are specific products that help tame those gray strands and if so what are they.

She is used to having a head full of super thick hair; so she is a little sad about the texture change:(

MizAvalon

MAHOGNEY329 said:
Thank you all for answering:)

Her hair used to be really full and thick; now it is thining and her gray is very resistant to the products that she normally used and it stands out terribly.

Do you all think that there are specific products that help tame those gray strands and if so what are they.

She is used to having a head full of super thick hair; so she is a little sad about the texture change:(

How old is your Mom? Is she taking any medications? My Mom is in her mid fifties and her hair started changing about 5, 6 years ago due to medicines and just plain getting older. It started getting thinner and of course, started graying. She was in a blue funk for a couple of years because she didn't know what to do, but once she accepted that her hair was never going to be the same anymore, she got herself a sharp little short hair-do and couldn't be happier with it.

I think your Mom should find out what's causing her hair to behave this way, then she can figure out what course of action to take.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I don't think there is anything your mother can do about the grey hairs except coloring them. Hair naturally thins out and greys when we get older. It's all part of aging. I notice that my grey hairs are thicker, coarser and straighter than the rest of my hair. That's just the way it is :(

MAHOGNEY329

Thank you guys for the advice:).

For those of you who are going through this process or know anyone going through this process, what types of products do you use.

Currently she uses:
Sulfer 8 mostirizer; ORS Olive Oil Cream/Mosturizer

Design Essentials Lye Perm

Design Essentials Shampoos and Conditioners/ Creme of Natural (org) Shampoo and Conditoners.

THANKS IN ADVANCE:)

Isis

I don't believe age has anything to do with your mother's hair losing its thickness or health. Oprah, who is 50, is a good example. In fact, there was a black woman on Oprah today (speaking from the audience) with very pretty, thick grey hair. I've seen many black women with very long, thick beautiful grey hair.

There are also many on this board (from previous posts) who are very young with grey hair.

Your mother may need to check her diet and make sure she is getting all of her vitamins and minerals, like B vitamins, copper and zinc. Medication can play a role in the thinning of hair, at any age.

blue_flower

Isis said:
There are also many on this board (from previous posts) who are very young with grey hair.

I got my first gray hair when I was 12 yrs. old. I was excited about! My grandmother said that she had gray hair at a very young age, so it must be hereditary. I have a patch of gray hair that I should take a picture of and put in my album.