Can I healthy diet dramatically increase hair growth?

Does living a healthy lifestyle increase hair growth dramatically?

• Yes

Votes: 45 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 16 22.5%

• Total voters

Channy31

Can a healthy diet dramatically increase hair growth?

What are individuals opinions on this?
I'm healthier than i've ever been (previously been underweight) and so is my hair? I eat well, exercise often and my hair is thriving.

I've also noticed that my hair grows 3/4-1 inch a month (I think.. I feel like its sometimes hard to judge)

Honestly, I've never thought that diet would have a HUGE influence on hair but recently I've changed my mind. Can a healthy diet even increase hair growth rate?

What do you guys think? And how drastically can diet influence hair growth?

*This is subjective, I'm happy to hear opinions'

Last edited:

JFK

People, please post.

I've never stayed on a healthy diet long enough to see :lachen:

Actually, now that I think about it :perplexed

Ci1988

Yes I gained two inches in a one and a half month period from working out and dieting. Im trying this new thing called raw until four. I only eat fruits and vegetables until four. I eat tuna once a week with vegetables on it. Keep on going cuz eating healthy and working out is a benefit not only for hair growth we could live longer. Good luck on your journey.

MarieB

I know that for me everything does better when I eat right: hair, skin, nails, general outlook on life....

Channy31

Yes I gained two inches in a one and a half month period from working out and dieting. Im trying this new thing called raw until four. I only eat fruits and vegetables until four. I eat tuna once a week with vegetables on it. Keep on going cuz eating healthy and working out is a benefit not only for hair growth we could live longer. Good luck on your journey.

Wish I was this commited!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I hate to say it but not for me. At least not significant. Including heavy duty supplements. However, the quality of hair growing improves in density and sheen and elasticity. My hair is committed to the obligatory half inch per month, tho. And yes I've taken measurements :look:

Blessed&higlyflavoured

I believe that for me eating well is symptom of good health. When I eat well it's because i'm taking care of myself, and that includes my hair. When I eat poorly, more likely than not i'm not taking very good care of myself, and that includes my hair. So I guess what i'm saying is both length retention and healthy diet are symptoms of me taking care of myself.

GrowAHead

For me it's eating well and drinking over 100oz of water a day. That's when I see the most growth.

Yen Oak

I've dropped a bit of weight through diet and exercise, but I don't see much of a difference in hair growth frankly. Of course, I have tightly coiled hair, so it may just be a matter of shrinkage. I agree with others that healthy living in general is a good goal to strive for just on GP.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
You know what, I take SOME of that back...I notice a small bit of either growth or better retention when I drink certain teas. I would guess it's better retention, though. Moreso than when my diet is on point.

Nonie

If your body is getting the nourishment it needs and your body is in good health, then your hair will get nourished too. If you're not providing all your body needs by eating enough of the necessary nutrients, then the little you are consuming is reserved for your vital organs and your hair and nails suffer too. Exercise helps your metabolism and circulation which also means nutrients get to where they are needed and if you're getting enough of the good stuff, then there will be enough for your hair too.

As someone else said, her hair gets healthier but growth rate doesn't increase. I think growth rate can only get to its optimum. If yours was below what you are genetically able to grow because of a poor diet, then yes, better nourishment will bring it to its optimum. For most people that is half an inch a month so they may not see the 3/4 inch+ that another may claim. But it doesn't hurt to eat well, so we should all do it for total health not just coz it might give us long, healthy hair. Being alive to actually get to enjoy the hair matters too. Total health means just that...health in every part of you.

Last edited:

Lindsanity

For me, eating healthy doesn't increase my growth rate. But it does improve the condition of my hair (i.e. shine, strength, etc) which to me is just as important is growth. My growth rate only increases when I'm eating well and working out consistently.

Ogoma

I take supplements so who knows. I decided I want to try to get all my nutrients from my food so no more supplements for me for a while. I hope this forces me to make better food choices.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Well, first, the 1/2" average is an average. It could be more or less.

Last I checked my hair, at 6 weeks I had .75" of NG and now at 11 weeks I have about 1.5-2" depending on the spot. I should be see 2 inches in 16 weeks, but I am seeing it in 11.

I exercise 4 days a week religiously, mostly strength training (because cardio should not be a focus for women) and I notice when I do less cardio, I have better growth.

I do not really eat meat (mostly on occasion) mostly eating seafood, veggies, dairy by-products, soy, and fruits. I keep fried foods to a low and processed foods to a no-no:nono: Fast food is not in my food vocabulary. I put myself on a coffee (maybe tea or hot chocolate depending on the time) and water restriction. Basically, during the work day, I can only drink coffee (after 3 I will drink tea or cocoa) or water. When Im home, I drink water, tea and 100% juice, but mostly water. I do not drink soda. Since denying myself juice, I have noticed stronger, shinier growth.

Last, I take prenatal vitamins only.

I sound crazy and disciplined right? I have noticed that by 4 weeks post, I always have NG. This has been my habit for years. Whether it contributes to better growth or not, I cannot say, but better health and lifestyle will lead to better healthier hair. I just think a better diet and lifestyle will lead to optimal health in the body and hair will reap the benefits.

Remember, hair is the garbage dump of the body. So if you treat yourself well, there will be more to give hair, instead of it getting the bare minimum due to poor eating. So if you eat well, you will have the best growth. But a poor diet will contribute to slower growth that we may mistake for regular.

JosieLynn

I wouldn't say that a healthy diet would necessarily increase your rate of hair growth but it definitely does help keeping the general health of your hair at a higher level. If you are constantly eating fresh, raw or as less-processed food then you are allowing your body access to vital nutrients and vitamins. Multivitamins are great and all but really they are a substitute for the real thing we can get out of absorbing them from the food we eat. I am a personal believer that getting your vitamins and minerals from the direct source is always best. But I eat pretty healthy and still take a multivitamin to make sure I am getting all the vitamins I need each day. All that can help your hair retain moisture, have more shine, more elasticity, less breakage and shedding. I drink tons of water a day, that helps with moisture levels in your hair. It may not necessarily have any super drastic affect on the hair that is already sprouted out of your scalp but it will definitely affect the new hair that is being pushed out each day. In general I think it is definitely worth taking the time and putting forth the effort, because it makes for an overall healthier person!

PennyK

I'm doing a personal 90 day challenge and after becoming a pescetarian (for Lent), doing regular cardio, and starting biotin, I discovered that I had retained/grown an inch of hair in a 45 day period. But I'm back to eating meat so we'll see how that affects my hair.

I think for some, healthy diet and exercise makes a difference.

SunRai Naturals

I notice that when I drink a lot of water, my hair is more moisturized. For me---and I've measured--working out increases my hair growth more than anything. When I work out I get at least .75 to 1 inch of growth per month versus the 1/4 inch that I get when I don't exercise, don't take vitamins, and don't eat healthy. I've measured my hair when I just ate really healthy (raw foods, green juices and smoothies, etc...) with no exercise and my growth rate didn't increase. Working out and keeping my scalp clean really sped things up.

Channy31

If your body is getting the nourishment it needs and your body is in good health, then your hair will get nourished too. If you're not providing all your body needs by eating enough of the necessary nutrients, then the little you are consuming is reserved for your vital organs and your hair and nails suffer too. Exercise helps your metabolism and circulation which also means nutrients get to where they are needed and if you're getting enough of the good stuff, then there will be enough for your hair too.

As someone else said, her hair gets healthier but growth rate doesn't increase. I think growth rate can only get to its optimum. If yours was below what you are genetically able to grow because of a poor diet, then yes, better nourishment will bring it to its optimum. For most people that is half an inch a month so they may not see the 3/4 inch+ that another may claim. But it doesn't hurt to eat well, so we should all do it for total health not just coz it might give us long, healthy hair. Being alive to actually get to enjoy the hair matters too. Total health means just that...health in every part of you.

So, does having a fast metabolism lead to increased hair growth? Mine is super super fast.. could explain myhair growth

MystiqueBabe

For me nothing so far has increased my growth rate. I mostly get .5" a month or a little over that. I used to exercise everyday and eat healthy but still no noticeable changes in hair growth. I can't be bothered to do any of that anymore.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
when i eat right, drink lots of water and exercise my hair is healthier and easier to manage which leads to greater retention. when i eat crappy, my hair is ridiculous to manage and my scalp is dry and itchy which leads to more breakage.

Mande30

Unfortunately, I was taking care of my body a long long time before I was taking care of my hair. So I have no idea what the condition of my hair would be if I did not workout or eat right. But I surely hope that this theory is correct. It just gives me more reason to keep healthy and fit:

1. Health of body
2. Prevention of certain diseases
3. Weight control
4. More energy
5. Healthy skin
6. AND HEALTHY HAIR

Now that's a winner in my book!!

jessicarabbit

From reading these posts, it's appears that exercise (blood circulation to the scalp) plays an important factor in increased growth

Nonie

[USER=342593]lindsaywhat[/USER];18178727 said:
From reading these posts, it's appears that exercise (blood circulation to the scalp) plays an important factor in increased growth

Yeah but the blood has to be carrying the necessary nutrients for the good circulation to make a difference. If you are starving yourself or consuming useless junk food that takes the place ofwholesome nutrients, good circulation will do you little good. Malnourished people don't have healthy hair. You need both a good diet and exercise for good/healthy hair growth.

jbwphoto1

Okay. All right. Stop hounding me. :hammer: I will start exercising. I have a pilates machine, a couple of weights, a yoga mat and one of those wheels you roll for your abs. (crawls out of thread to find that one I only glimpsed yesterday about having an hourglass figure) :blush:

pearcey

It has the ability to definitely optimize what you have.

A balanced diet, and a supplement or two.

Everything in moderation.

MissTripleChoc

I would say yes as the additional nutrients from healthy nutritious food means there is enough nutrients and protein in the body to go towards keeping your hair and nails healthy as well as your internal organs

DragonPearl

For me nothing so far has increased my growth rate. I mostly get .5" a month or a little over that. I used to exercise everyday and eat healthy but still no noticeable changes in hair growth. I can't be bothered to do any of that anymore.

Aww. Sorry you didn't get the results you were aiming for. I hope you will continue to exercise most days and eat healthy because being in good health is way more important than having long hair.

Just11412

i didn't get crazy growth but i will say that my hair stayed moisturized longer when i was taking better care of my body. drinking only water and had a clean diet.

jessicarabbit

Yeah but the blood has to be carrying the necessary nutrients for the good circulation to make a difference. If you are starving yourself or consuming useless junk food that takes the place ofwholesome nutrients, good circulation will do you little good. Malnourished people don't have healthy hair. You need both a good diet and exercise for good/healthy hair growth.

Makes 100% perfect sense

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I'm a firm no on this one. Eating healthy provides excellent nutrition to your body and all of its systems, but it will not make hair come out of the scalp any faster. It's a nice thought, but just not reality. You can nourish hair (that has yet to come out of your scalp) from the inside, and it can come out in better condition which would likely help with retention, but growth rate :nono: