Can I healthy diet dramatically increase hair growth?

Does living a healthy lifestyle increase hair growth dramatically?

• Yes

Votes: 45 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 16 22.5%

• Total voters

Meemee6223

In my experience, when I was eating very healthy and exercising I noticed that my hair was growing noticeably faster. I wasn't even expecting changes in my hair at that time. I was only trying to lose weight. Previous to that I was eating too much fast food and not exercising at all.

Angelicus

I am doing an experiment with my body now regarding it. I became a raw foodist so I hope I can see some major results after month 6.

MsSonya

I am also doing somewhat of an 'experiment'. I have been stuck at SL waaay too long. And I have been taking better care of my hair.
And it finally hit me that fast food, loads of sugar, soda, and eating once a day sometimes is not the answer, cant remember the last time I touched a vegetable. :sad:
But I do exercise! :yep: So hopefully I can see an improvement in 3 months starting tomorrow.

andromeda

Yes, it definitely makes a diff for me. When I first went natural, I was working out 4-6 days a week and eating v healthy and my hair grew at a good rate, but more importantly, it looked moisturized from within - juicy. Then "life got in the way" and my diet and exercise regimen took a nose dive - my hair looks drab as a result.

Well, first, the 1/2" average is an average. It could be more or less.

Last I checked my hair, at 6 weeks I had .75" of NG and now at 11 weeks I have about 1.5-2" depending on the spot. I should be see 2 inches in 16 weeks, but I am seeing it in 11.

I exercise 4 days a week religiously, mostly strength training (because cardio should not be a focus for women) and I notice when I do less cardio, I have better growth.

I do not really eat meat (mostly on occasion) mostly eating seafood, veggies, dairy by-products, soy, and fruits. I keep fried foods to a low and processed foods to a no-no:nono: Fast food is not in my food vocabulary. I put myself on a coffee (maybe tea or hot chocolate depending on the time) and water restriction. Basically, during the work day, I can only drink coffee (after 3 I will drink tea or cocoa) or water. When Im home, I drink water, tea and 100% juice, but mostly water. I do not drink soda. Since denying myself juice, I have noticed stronger, shinier growth.

Last, I take prenatal vitamins only.

I sound crazy and disciplined right? I have noticed that by 4 weeks post, I always have NG. This has been my habit for years. Whether it contributes to better growth or not, I cannot say, but better health and lifestyle will lead to better healthier hair. I just think a better diet and lifestyle will lead to optimal health in the body and hair will reap the benefits.

Remember, hair is the garbage dump of the body. So if you treat yourself well, there will be more to give hair, instead of it getting the bare minimum due to poor eating. So if you eat well, you will have the best growth. But a poor diet will contribute to slower growth that we may mistake for regular.
Saludable84 why shouldn't cardio be a focus for women?

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Yes, it definitely makes a diff for me. When I first went natural, I was working out 4-6 days a week and eating v healthy and my hair grew at a good rate, but more importantly, it looked moisturized from within - juicy. Then "life got in the way" and my diet and exercise regimen took a nose dive - my hair looks drab as a result.

Saludable84 why shouldn't cardio be a focus for women?

Ive actually come across that state a few times in Womens Health and Fitness as well as Shape that strength training should be a primary focus as it helps women to reshape and lose weigh faster versus cardio. Because both get the heart rate up, they are good, but strength training will burn more calories over a longer period of time versus cardio.

As a women working out for about 10 years now, I can honestly say that strength training does work better and faster than cardio ever did!

koolkittychick

For me it made a difference primarily in the thickness, density and shine, but only a little in the rate of growth. In the three months I made a commitment to eating 4 servings of veggies a day, upping my protein to 100+ grams a day, alternating weight training and cardio seven days a week for 30 minutes minimum, and sleeping 7+ hours a day (whew!) on top of taking a more comprehensive vitamin pak, I got an extra 3/4 inches on top of my usual inch and a half, which is not bad, but I was kind of looking for doubling my rate of growth (yes, I am greedy! :grin:). The benefits I did receive (my thinning spots filling in, my grey hairs actually reversing themselves, and losing 30 pounds), prompted me to keep going...until I got sick with female issues and had to lay off to treat the condition. :nono: Now that I'm better, I will recommit myself starting in June and take advantage of my increase in growth rate during the summer months. :yep:

andromeda

Ive actually come across that state a few times in Womens Health and Fitness as well as Shape that strength training should be a primary focus as it helps women to reshape and lose weigh faster versus cardio. Because both get the heart rate up, they are good, but strength training will burn more calories over a longer period of time versus cardio.

As a women working out for about 10 years now, I can honestly say that strength training does work better and faster than cardio ever did!

Thanks for answering! I was just reading something a bit earlier that said women should focus on building muscle, then losing fat - jives with what you're saying. Off to build my strength training regimen...

NaturallyATLPCH

I say no.

Reason being is because I am an avid healthy eating, vigorous exerciser 5-6 days a week, and my hair growth rate has not increased. It still grows at about 1/4 of an inch a month.

I also take vitamins and drink plenty of water (my weight divided by 2 in ounces). Lots of leafy greens, etc.

Now the overall health of my hair is fabulous. But it isn't growing any faster than it normally would.

And amen to the strength training part. I only do cardio three times a week but intensive strength or High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) the other days.

There is nothing medically or genetically wrong with me either.

But I do these things for lifestyle satisfaction (and weightloss as I have lost 40 pounds in over a year since my journey).

Last edited:

lovely_locks

Yes it does! I've been eating better, working out, increasing my water intake, and taking vitamins. My hair has been growing, my face is clearing, and I just feel good.
I swear a lot when I work out. So I wash my hair more often too. Idk if that has anything to do with anything.

tuffCOOKiE

like Nonie (and others) said, I think it's both diet (eating proper nutrients) and exercise (bringing nutrition everywhere).

OP, metabolism may have something to do with it, but I don't believe to the degree you're talking. Everything in your body has to be working for your hair to get benefits. Fast or slow metabolism shouldn't matter (to me) if your body is breaking down these nutrients (vs, not)

As for me, I think age was more a factor. When I was younger, I was an athlete and my exercising was good but my diet was poor-ish (eat whatever) and my hair thrived. Now that I'm older, my diet is clean but my hair is drier, more brittle and I exercise a lot less vigorously.

greenandchic

I must say diet and lifestyle (excercise) never did much for my hair. Skin? A little. Hair? No. I exercise 6 days a week and my hair growth is still below average. As a disclaimer I do have a chronic illness 2x and a slightly slow thyroid so that more than likely plays a factor.

Last edited: