Can only paying members view the forums please

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I keep hearing this but when I sign out and try to view the blogs, I can't. I can see that they're there on the right side but when I click, I can't read them. Maybe it's because i'm not in the states, I don't know. But from my experience, they're not public.
You're right, they aren't open to non-member view anymore. I just tried it and it asked for my user name and passcode. They used to be- maybe that has changed. That's a good thing. :yep:

LilHoneyLok

Getting off my lurker steez for a minute :sekret: I felt like there was no better time to kick off my official first post than now. I originally came across this board almost 2 years skeptical like pfft what could I possibly learn here? :perplexed But after looking around I realized how little I did know and found the strength to accept myself and go natural.:yay:I learned how to transition and take better care of myself (mind body and hair) and I would not be at the place I am now had I not been able to lurk :yep: I agree that some things should be reserved for paying customers but leaving things like the hair forum helps with those like me who stumble on this site out of curiosity/ no where else to turn. I continue to be surprised at how accepting and open minded people are to one another here and that played a major factor with my decision to go natural--I felt like I have finally found a place where I was not alone with my struggles. I would like to add that for some lurkers they may be underage and for one reason or another cannot subscribe to the boards, the way the forum is laid out it allows them to obtain that information so they can avoid some of the mistakes that many of us have expierenced at an earlier time.

*KP*

A non-paying member can only read anyway, they can't post or search even on the public boards. Most people do want to post and ask a question eventually so will have to sign up. It isn't a big deal to me, I am just careful not to post anything I wouldn't want in the public to see.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
A non-paying member can only read anyway, they can't post or search even on the public boards. Most people do want to post and ask a question eventually so will have to sign up. It isn't a big deal to me, I am just careful not to post anything I wouldn't want in the public to see.
I talk so darn much I only joined because I wanted to join in on the convo in the hair section. :lol:

SVT

How does this prevent paying lurkers from stealing photographs? :perplexed

There are far more paying lurkers than regular posters.

Attaching pics rather than linking them may help. Only members can view attached pics but it's annoying IMO, to have to click on the attachment to see it.

AdoreMsK67

I too found this site just by googling a while back, if the forums were not there for me to even read, I probably woudn't have joined. With that said, I belong to another site for support of a health issue I deal with and it looks very simular to this one..the one feature that they do have is if your not a member you can not click on the links or images..maybe that would be the way to go. Here is what it looks like.

so instead of seeing a picture or link it says this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vkb247

I agree that pics and links should be blocked.

You're right, they aren't open to non-member view anymore. I just tried it and it asked for my user name and passcode. They used to be- maybe that has changed. That's a good thing. :yep:

You don't have to be a paying member to have a username and password though.

Attaching pics rather than linking them may help. Only members can view attached pics but it's annoying IMO, to have to click on the attachment to see it.

You can attach and image and then embed it....but most people don't do the second step.

Kayanna1212

Noooooooooooooooo!
I TOTTALY DISAGREEE!!
thats like soo not worthy i don't think it would be worth it.
Sure it has lots of great advice but you know some girls dont have 6.50$ to spare on a hair board.
I dont think its fair.
I dont think you would of liked it while you were lurking saying in big bolded red letters saying "SORRY YOU MUST PAY 6.50$ TO VIEW THIS POST/THREAD PLEASE EXIT OR PAY TO VIEW THIS THREAD"

SEMO

How does this prevent paying lurkers from stealing photographs? :perplexed

There are far more paying lurkers than regular posters.

I lurked for a few months before I joined, but eventually got tired of just hoping someone would ask the question I wanted an answer to. I also go tired of seeing fotkis I wanted to visit but the password was in the profile. So I joined to be able to join in the conversations with everyone and get full member benefits. But I don't begrudge someone who doesn't want to pay but still wants free hair info.

But sometimes I forget that there are a ton of paying members that still only lurk. I can understand lurking and not posting when you can't, because you're not a paid member, but it makes less sense to me why someone would pay to join the site but not want to post. Even if they are shy, or don't like to put themselves all out on the internet, at some point I would think they would have something to contribute or say (even if it's in the non-hair forums).

I honestly find it weirder to having paying lurkers than non-paying lurkers.

LadyEuphoria007

I like the site how it is at the moment. I would not have paid had I not been able to see what I was getting either.

Making a mandatory post count would only cause folks to spam threads to get full access to the site.

I know some of the ladies have been here since the beginning but think of all the others that came here looking for help... like me. I came here from another site when my Natural Hair Idol just up and left and said she was coming here. I joined after 3 months of lurking.

I disagree with the protection for the photo thief as well because you never know who is doing it. If you don't want the pics stolen then don't post it or post hair only photos.

Thanks!

firecracker

They gotta lure the folks into paying the fee by giving em a lil taste, then BAM break yo self with that $6.50 fool. I think the $6.50 make some of these folks break out with boxing gloves just because. :lachen:

Curlee_lurker

LA face/low class booty
Hmm I don't think an annual cost of $6.50 would stop someone that was determined to steal photos.

People should be more careful with what they post here anyhow. The poster above me seems crazier than a june bug and she's a paying member so I don't get what the difference is.

Firecracker: :grouphug:

MeccaMedinah

They gotta lure the folks into paying the fee by giving em a lil taste, then BAM break yo self with that $6.50 fool. I think the $6.50 make some of these folks break out with boxing gloves just because. :lachen:

Exactly. We've been members since the site was free and had very little forums other than the 'Hair' section.
I wouldn't have joined, contributed & then eventually paid if I had not been able to view the pictures of all of the beautiful natural heads. The pictures helped me realize the potential of Black hair and only then did I join.