Can you answer this question????

delitefulmane

Can an atheist or non-christian teach a biblical lit class?
I ask because I am in a biblical lit class and I do not believe my teacher is a Christian! I dont know how I feel about this but I do not have a good feeling! Today she stated that Joseph in the bible could read tea leaves like a terah (sp) reader! :nono: And then she said that the book of Daniel was written like someone high on marijuana! :blush:

Ladies please tell me what I should do about this class. BTW I need it to graduate!

R4L

Why wouldn't they be able to analyze the bible if they were not Christian?

Does that mean that someone who's not a criminal can't understand criminal law?

delitefulmane

I mean not just her analysis but her interpretation that doesn't match up with Christianity...and that bothers me!

Prudent1

If you need the class to graduate you might have to tough it out. Pray before going into that class for God to help you guard your eyes, ears, and heart. Ask him to not allow any of that foolishness to get into your spirit and pray for the other students who may not know something is amiss about the things the instructor is teaching.

Prov 4:23
23 Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life.

Prudent1

There are several reasons. Among them, usually they have not read/ studied the bible. Also, their core beliefs are probably going to conflict w/ what's in the bible. We should not take marital advice from our womanizing uncle or bitter old aunt. We should not ask the dentist to look at our foot. It is wise to receive instruction from someone with a proven track record in that area. Most college campuses have lots of PHDs teaching classes but their own lives are in shambles and they lack common sense. You have to have intelligence and common sense to make it in this world.

msa

I ask because I am in a biblical lit class and I do not believe my teacher is a Christian! I dont know how I feel about this but I do not have a good feeling! Today she stated that Joseph in the bible could read tea leaves like a terah (sp) reader! :nono: And then she said that the book of Daniel was written like someone high on marijuana! :blush:

Ladies please tell me what I should do about this class. BTW I need it to graduate!

Because it is a biblical lit class your professor is looking at it as a regular book, not a religious one. As such, you're not going to agree with most things she says because you are looking at it from a believer's perspective.

I do think she can teach the class without being a Christian. The goal of the class isn't to win souls or teach Christianity, it's to analyze the bible from a literary perspective (or at least that's what it sounds like). In that case, I think you will learn a lot about the bible, the history surrounding it, and how other people view it. I actually think that looking at it that way will teach you a lot. And learning how to have an objective view of issues that are close to your heart is a great skill that you will need in many areas of your life.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
I'm not sure in what context you're taking this class--seminary, undergraduate, etc., but this is generally the way that the Bible is studied in academic settings. Even at Bible-believing colleges, if you take a Biblical literature class, you're often going to be studying various interpretations and approaches to the text that have little to nothing to do with actually believing that the words are God-breathed and true.

I would say hold steadfastly to what you know to be true, but be open to ideas that might be different than what you thought, but which don't compromise your faith in God's word.

JinaRicci

Biblical lit, philosophy-those classes are taught from a purely academic standpoint.

Think of it this way- you might be in that class for a reason. This might be the only exposure some students get to the Bible & you being there to add your perspective to the discussions will be a good thing.

blazingthru

Biblical lit, philosophy-those classes are taught from a purely academic standpoint.

Think of it this way- you might be in that class for a reason. This might be the only exposure some students get to the Bible & you being there to add your perspective to the discussions will be a good thing.

I agree, but pray and pray often that nothing doubtful will get in your spirit. I am sure this is not easy. But I agree with JinaRicci, you might be a great help to someone in there that is open.

PG480

I understand completely where you are coming from. I also had to take a course like this to graduate as well. What helps put things into perspective is looking at the syllabus to see what the objective of the course is. Usually these courses at non seminary schools are not designed to convert anyone or re affirm one's faith. It is more geared towards understanding the history of the bible, important figures in the bible etc. etc. I do however think that colleges should be more cognitive when choosing professors for these courses, so that the professors altleast represent one that is supportive or in favor of the importance of the bible. Just as they would get someone who is passionate about the understanding and advancement of other courses like biology, sociology, art, music etc. Fortunately for me I had a Christian professor that was amazing, her intent was not to convert anyone (though that would make her happy as well) but more so that the student leaves with a respect and/or appreciation for the bible and what it means to those who believe in it. I hope this helps.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Take the class. When you do your papers and your opinion is opposite of what hers would be, provide your sources and present your case thorougly. Teachers judge more on convincing arguments...at least, good teachers...no matter what they personally believe about the subject. No, I don't think you have to be a christian to teach biblical literature anymore than a Greek mythology teacher has to worship Zeus. You just have to know the subject. Stick it out to reach your goal, the experiece could make you stronger religiously..

discobiscuits

it is a literature class not a religion class so your instructor's interpretion does not matter as it relates to the objectives of the class.

if one looks at the bible for the literature aspect, the KJV is considered up there with Shakespeare and some lit scholars want to attribute it to Shakespeare or at least his influence or assistance.

ETA: some of the ladies above me have spoken accurately and given you good advice.

my advice - if you don't need this glass to get your degree, drop the class if her beliefs bother you that much and take something else that does not grieve your spirit so much.

Last edited:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Atheists tend to know about the Bible better than a lot of Christians... a studier of the Word is not necessarily a follower of Christ. So sure they can teach the class...purely from an academic standpoint. If you are able to separate the two you should be fine going to class. Being prayed up before going to class would keep the confusion at bay. God won't forsake his own, even under the tutelage of an atheist...believe that! :)

:rosebud:

brg240

Atheists tend to know about the Bible better than a lot of Christians... a studier of the Word is not necessarily a follower of Christ. So sure they can teach the class...purely from an academic standpoint. If you are able to separate the two you should be fine going to class. Being prayed up before going to class would keep the confusion at bay. God won't forsake his own, even under the tutelage of an atheist...believe that! :)

:rosebud:

I don't think that is true. I think atheists that actually studies the Bible know more about the Bible than the average Christian.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Very Good point...I believe that's more accurate than "a lot"... :yep: I stand corrected, because I understand why you said that.

I don't think that is true. I think atheists that actually studies the Bible know more about the Bible than the average Christian.

mscocoface

It is a class you need for graduation. It is seen as literature totally different from your viewpoint but you know that and God knows that.

So do your best and defend your arguments when you need to.

Wishing you the best and keeping you lifted up. :)

ellebelle88

I think I know who the OP is talking about as we attend the same university. Actually, I am in her class for Basic Christian Teachings II and I love it and I love her. She really teaches from a historical and intellectual standpoint whereas we evaluate all of the doctrines in their entirety and how they came into existence. Did you know a lot of Christian doctrines were adopted from other religions and Gods name was just stuck in them? Shocking but true.

She has never tried to sway me or anyone else from our beliefs. Instead it has been mostly about separating the facts from the fiction. There are a lot of things about religions that have been covered up because religion has become the weapon of choice for controlling people (ie. slaves).

I think what is wrong with many Christians is that they take the Bible quite literally and it becomes their weapon for bashing other religions and other perspectives that are not inline with their own ideologies. Which to me is the poorest and most judgmental attitude to be had.

So I don't doubt that she said those things, but you have to look at the context in which she mentioned them. I learned something quite shocking today but it hasn't swayed my beliefs. Instead it has reaffirmed my desire to get to know my God better and how to better live a Christian life.