Why are YOU Christian?

Bubblingbrownshuga

Just answers these questions for me:

Were you raised in a Christian home? If so, were you encouraged to ask questions?

Were you ever agnostic/atheist? If so, how did you come to Christ?

Be honest- when things are well in your life, do you thank God or just chalk it up to chance? When things are not well in your life, do you blame God?

Do you believe Christianity is a religion or a relationship?

Do you question the Bible? If you do, have you found supporting evidence for your questions?

How do you view God? Do you view Him as unfair/fair?

Do you view the Bible as sexist?

What cliches do you refrain from saying?

Do you witness? If so, how and when?

Do you feel like when you witness, you are imposing your beliefs on another? How do you filter out when to witness and when not to so that you won't seem 'pushy?'

Do you believe the Bible is antiquated?

Have you noticed that when you provide someone with biblical advice they may shrug it off and dismiss it but when you word the same advice in a secular way, they accept it? How do you deal with this?

Do you/have you attended a church that researched Biblical history?

How do you maintain your faith/trust in God? It's so easy to be like, there's no God when you see bad things happen around you (or even in the Bible) and dismiss this Christianity walk altogther. In fact, dismissing it's even encouraged. When you believe in God (and worst to some the Bible and Jesus) you are treated like you're brainwashed. How do you handle this?

****Please add more questions that you deem are worthy of discussing*****

Last edited:

aquafinawetwet

i believe in god but im not religious ..religion was made to separate people a man made lie

the lie of Christianity to control the black race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqlUTTM5ue0

i was just thinking of asking this question why are black people christians all this time we spend our money in the church and we give everything we got to the church but when you look back in history, church has never had our backs during slavery the church turned there backs on us and just let it happen

why christian and why not kemet ???

"Find out whether or not the following is true about Horus!"
http://www.stellarhousepublishing.com/christinegypt.html

"Christ in Egypt:
The Horus-Jesus Connection
is here!"

* Horus was born on "December 25th" (winter solstice) in a manger.
* He was of royal descent, and his mother was the "virgin Isis-Mery."
* Horus's birth was announced by a star in the East and attended by three "wise men."
* At age 12, he was a child teacher in the Temple, and at 30, he was baptized.
* Horus was baptized by "Anup the Baptizer," who was decapitated.
* The Egyptian god had 12 companions, helpers or disciples.
* Horus performed miracles, exorcised demons and raised Osiris from the dead.
* The god walked on water.
* Horus was "crucified" between two "thieves."
* He (or Osiris) was buried for three days in a tomb and resurrected.
* Horus/Osiris was also the "Way, the Truth, the Life," "Messiah," the "Son of Man," the "Good Shepherd," the "Lamb of God," the "Word made flesh," the "Word of Truth," etc.
* Horus's personal epithet was "Iusa," the "ever-becoming son" of the Father. He was called "Holy Child," as well as "the Anointed One," while Osiris was the KRST.
* Horus battled with the "evil one," Set/Seth.
Horus was to reign for one thousand years.

most african americans are christian because there told to be christian

Bubblingbrownshuga

Hmmmm. I would've loved to read you responses to my questions, although there are quite many! :lol:

Anyway, about what you posted:

Question: "Is Jesus a myth? Is Jesus just a copy of the pagan gods of other ancient religions?"

Answer: There are a number of voices claiming that the accounts of Jesus as recorded in the New Testament are simply myths and were the result of the writers borrowing stories from pagan mythology, such as the stories of Osiris, Dionysus, Adonis, Attis, and Mithras. The claim is that these mythological figures are essentially the same story as what the New Testament ascribes to Jesus Christ of Nazareth. As Dan Brown claims in, The Da Vinci Code, “Nothing in Christianity is original.”

However, once the facts are examined, these claims are proven false. To discover the truth about these particular claims and others like them, it is important to: (1) unearth the history behind their assertions, (2) examine the actual historical portrayals of the false gods being compared to Christ, (3) expose the logical fallacies that the authors are making, and (4) look at why the New Testament Gospels can be trusted as accurately depicting the true and historical Jesus Christ.

First, the claims of Jesus as a myth or an exaggeration originated in the writings of 19th century liberal German theologians. Their claim was essentially that Jesus was nothing more than a copy of the widespread worship of dying and rising fertility gods in various places—Tammuz in Mesopotamia, Adonis in Syria, Attis in Asia Minor, and Osiris in Egypt. None of these works ever advanced in the realm of academia and religious thought because their assertions were investigated by theologians and scholars and determined to be completely false and baseless. It has only been in the late twentieth and early twenty-first century that these assertions have been resurrected, primarily due to the rise of the internet and mass distribution of information that has no historical foundation or accountability.

This leads us to the next area of investigation—do the mythological gods of antiquity really mirror the person of Jesus Christ? As an example, the Zeitgeist movie makes these claims about the Egyptian god Horus:

• He was born on December 25th of a virgin - Isis Mary
• A star in the East proclaimed his arrival
• Three kings came to adore the new-born “savior”
• He became a child prodigy teacher at age 12
• At age 30 he was “baptized” and began a “ministry”
• Horus had twelve “disciples”
• Horus was betrayed
• He was crucified
• He was buried for three days
• He was resurrected after three days

However, when the actual writings about Horus are competently examined, this is what we find:

• Horus was born to Isis; there is no mention in history of her being called “Mary.” Moreover, Mary is our anglicized form of her real name ‘Miryam’ or Miriam. “Mary” was not even used in the original texts of Scripture.
• Isis was not a virgin; she was the widow of Osiris and conceived Horus with Osiris.
• Horus was born during month of Khoiak (Oct/Nov), not December 25. Further, there is no mention in the Bible as to Christ’s actual birth date.
• There is no record of three kings visiting Horus at his birth. The Bible never states the actual number of magi that came to see Christ.
• Horus is not a “savior” in any shape or form; he did not die for anyone.
• There are no accounts of Horus being a teacher at the age of 12.
• Horus was not “baptized.” The only account of Horus that involves water is one story where Horus is torn to pieces, with Isis requesting the crocodile god to fish him out of the water he was placed into.
• Horus did not have a “ministry.”
• Horus did not have 12 disciples. According to the Horus accounts, Horus had four semi-gods that were followers and some indications of 16 human followers and an unknown number of blacksmiths that went into battle with him.
• There is no account of Horus being betrayed by a friend.
• Horus did not die by crucifixion. There are various accounts of Horus’ death, but none of them involve crucifixion.
• There is no account of Horus being buried for three days.
• Horus was not resurrected. There is no account of Horus coming out of the grave with the body he went in with. Some accounts have Horus/Osiris being brought back to life by Isis and going to be the lord of the underworld.

Bubblingbrownshuga

Continued...

So when compared side by side, Jesus and Horus bear little, if any, resemblance to one another. Another popular comparison done by those claiming that Jesus Christ is a myth is with Jesus and Mithras. All the above claims of Horus are applied to Mithras (e.g. born of a virgin, being crucified, rising in three days, etc.). But what does history say about Mithras?

• He was born out of a solid rock and not from any woman.

• He battled first with the sun and then a primeval bull, thought to be the first act of creation. Mithras killed the bull, which then became the ground of life for the human race.

• Mithras birth was celebrated on December 25, along with Winter solstice.

• There is no mention of him as being a great teacher.

• There is no mention of Mithras having 12 disciples. The idea that Mithras had 12 disciples may have come from a mural in which Mithras is surrounded by twelve signs of the Zodiac.

• Mithras had no bodily resurrection. The myth is told that Mithras completed his earthly mission then was taken to paradise in a chariot, alive and well. The early Christian writer Tertullian did write about Mithras believers re-enacting resurrection scenes, but he wrote about this occurring well after New Testament times, so if any copycatting was done, it was the cult of Mithras copying from Christianity.

More examples can be given of Krishna, Attis, Dionysus and other mythological gods, but the result is the same. In the end, the historical Jesus as portrayed in the Bible is thoroughly unique. The claimed similarities are greatly exaggerated. Further, while belief in Horus, Mithras, and others pre-dated Christianity, there is very little historical record of the pre-Christian beliefs of those religions. The vast majority of the earliest writings about these religions is dated to the third and fourth centuries A.D. It is illogical and unhistorical to claim the pre-Christian beliefs in these religions (of which there is no record) were identical to the post-Christian beliefs in these groups (of which there is record). It is more historically valid to attribute any similarities between these religions and Christianity to the religions copying Christian beliefs about Jesus and placing those attributes on their own gods/saviors/founders in an attempt to stop the rapid growth of Christianity.

This leads us to the next area to examine: the logical fallacies committed by those claiming that Christianity borrowed from pagan mystery religions. Two fallacies in particular are obvious— the fallacy of the false cause and the terminological fallacy. If one thing precedes another, it does not mean that the first caused the second. This is the fallacy of the false cause. Even if pre-Christian accounts of mythological gods closely resembled Christ (and they do not), it does not mean they caused the gospel writers to invent a false Jesus. Claiming such a thing would be like saying the TV series Star Trek caused the NASA Space Shuttle program.

The terminological fallacy occurs when terms are redefined to prove a point, when in fact such terms do not mean the same thing when compared to their source. So for example, the Zeitgeist movie says that Horus “began his ministry,” but Horus had no actual ministry – nothing like that of Christ’s ministry. Those claiming Mithras and Jesus are the same talk about the “baptism” that initiated prospects into the Mithras cult, but what was it actually? The Mithras priests (using a ritual also performed by followers of Attis) would suspend a bull over a pit, place those wanting to join the cult into the pit, slit the bull’s stomach, which then covered the initiates in blood. Such a thing has no resemblance whatsoever to Christian baptism—a person going under water (symbolizing the death of Christ) and then coming back out of the water (symbolizing Christ’s resurrection). But advocates of the mythological Jesus position deceptively use the same term to describe both in hopes of linking the two together.

The last issue to examine on this subject is the truthfulness of the New Testament itself. While much has been written on this topic, no work from antiquity has more evidence with respect to historical veracity than the New Testament. The New Testament has more writers (nine), better writers, and earlier writers than any other document from that era. Further, history testifies to the fact that these writers went to their deaths for claiming that Jesus had risen from the dead. While some may die for a lie they think is true, no person dies for a lie they know to be false. Think about it—if someone was about to crucify you upside down, as happened to the Apostle Peter, and all you had to do to save your life was renounce a lie you had knowingly been living, what would you do?

In addition, history has shown that it takes at least two generations to pass before myth can enter into a historical account. Why? Because eyewitnesses can refute error put in print. Those living at the time could refute the errors of the author and expose the work as being false. All the Gospels of the New Testament were written during the lifetime of the eyewitnesses, with some of Paul’s epistles being written as early as 50 A.D. That early dating acts as a key protective mechanism against any falsehoods being accepted and circulated.

Finally, the New Testament attests to the fact that the portrayal of Jesus was not mistaken for that of any other god. When faced with Paul’s teaching, the elite thinkers of Athens said this: “He seems to be a proclaimer of strange deities,”—because he was preaching Jesus and the resurrection. And they took him and brought him to the Areopagus, saying, “May we know what this new teaching is which you are proclaiming? For you are bringing some strange things to our ears; so we want to know what these things mean" (Acts 17:18-20). Clearly, if the accounts of Jesus were simply rehashing stories of other gods, the Athenians would not have referred to them at “new” teaching. If dying and rising gods were plentiful in the first century why, when the apostle Paul preached Jesus rising from the dead in Acts 17, did the Epicureans and Stoics not remark, “Ah, just like Horus and Mithras”?

In conclusion, the claims that Jesus is nothing more than a myth, a copy of mythological gods, originated from authors whose works have been discounted by academia, commit logical fallacies that undermine their veracity, and cannot compare to the New Testament Gospels which have withstood nearly 2,000 years of intense scrutiny. The alleged parallels disappear when they are compared with the original historical texts. Similarities between Jesus and the various mythological gods can only be argued for by employing selective and misleading descriptions.

Jesus Christ stands unique in history, with His voice rising above all false gods and continuing to ask the question that ultimately determines a person’s eternal destiny: “Who do you say that I am?” (Matthew 16:15

Bubblingbrownshuga

Here's a book I am going to read that deals with the above. It received very high customer reviews on amazon.

As far as your comments go:
Most African-Americans are not even Christian, so who told them not to be? Those who are Christians decided to live for Christ because it's their choice. God doesn't force Himself you on at all. This is not Biblical. He provides you the option of 'life and death,' but at the same time encourages not forces you to choose life.

What does what happened during slavery have to do with going to church and being a Christian now? Once again it's a choice to go to church and be a Christian. For me, I support my church because for one, I believe in tithing and two, I see where my money's going and it's going into struggling communities locally and nationally. The church has the means to support those who are hurting and seeking on a grander scale than I do so I extend my financial blessings to them. The slave owners had being a Christian ALL Wrong. They twisted the Bible to support their false claims while ignoring the teachings of Christ and these scriptures:
We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. – 1 John 4:19-20

This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother. - 1 John 3:10

Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' – Matthew 22:37-39

No Bibical love was extended during slavery time and it does NOT reflect the Bible.

Blessed626

Wow, you have a lot of questions! lol. But I'll bite!

Were you raised in a Christian home? If so, were you encouraged to ask questions? Yes I was. I wouldn't necessarily say that I was encouraged to ask questions, but I was never discouraged. Even if they didn't know the answers, I was never discouraged from asking.

No

Be honest- when things are well in your life, do you thank God or just chalk it up to chance? When things are not well in your life, do you blame God?
When things are going well in my life I most certainly thank God. Although sometimes I may complain or pretend like I'm less blessed than I am, at the end of the day I know He has blessed me abundantly. When things are not well, I wouldn't say that I blame God. I do get frustrated [and just downright angry] and start to doubt Him, but I know that everything will work according to His will. Somethings I don't understand, but I'm learning to trust Him in all things. It's a constant journey.

For me it's a relationship. For many it's a religion. However, I don't think it's meant to be a religion. Christianity is based on love [after all that is the greatest commandment]; when I think of religion I think of being bounded by laws and practices. In Christianity, while we must follow His commandments, it's all about loving God and others without any chains. It's about me getting to know God and acknowledging that He already knows everything about me.

Do you question the Bible? If you do, have you found supporting evidence for your questions?
Sometimes I do question certain parts of the Bible, but those questions are usually answered through further reading or by using a commentary.

I don't think it's possible to fit God's nature into such a standard. I believe that God has His will, and I believe that our understanding cannot compare to His. What may seem unfair to me today, may make total sense tomorrow. He's omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent. Whether He's fair or not, I trust Him.

No. I believe that God made man and woman to be different in many ways. As a result, I believe in gender roles. While certain portions of the Bible may seem a bit extreme in their representation of women, its important to put certain things in their proper cultural context.

I'm sure I have quite a few, but I can't think of any right now. May have to come back to that one.

Yes I do. I try to witness through my lifestyle constantly. As a student on a college campus where drinking, partying, fornication, idolatry, etc. are so strong I just try to reflect Christ's image by refraining from such things. However, I'm praying to become stronger and bolder and to witness verbally and to different groups of people (other than my friends and associates).

Do you feel like when you witness, you are imposing your beliefs on another? How do you filter out when to witness and when not to so that you won't seem 'pushy?'
When I witness, maybe I am imposing my beliefs on another. But I'm surrounded by people who want to impose their beliefs on me, so why not be fair? lol. The Holy Spirit is my filter. I pray for discernment and patience. I understand that sometimes it's best to just be quiet and sometimes you have to speak up. There's a time for everything. I just try to heed God's voice.

No I don't.

Have you noticed that when you provide someone with biblical advice they may shrug it off and dismiss it but when you word the
same advice in a secular way, they accept it? How do you deal with this? Interesting question. I have noticed this. I think this goes back to having discernment. You just have to know when and how to say things. Sometimes it's necessary to make people uncomfortable because real growth comes with discomfort. However, sometimes you do have to break things down for people so they can understand that you're not trying to sound high and mighty or more knowledgeable than they (even if you are).

I can't say that I have.

How do you maintain your faith/trust in God? It's so easy to be like, there's no God when you see bad things happen around you (or even in the Bible) and dismiss this Christianity walk altogther. In fact, dismissing it's even encouraged. When you believe in God (and worst to some the Bible and Jesus) you are treated like you're brainwashed. How do you handle this?
I just remember what God has already done for me. He has kept me through so many hard times, even when I didn't want to be kept. Yes, I'm young but I know that some people haven't made it has far as I have. When things are going bad or when people try to plant seeds of doubt, I remember that if He did it before He can and will do it again. Moreover, NO ONE can love me like He does! I have a great family and loving friends, but they just can't compare. How can I let anyone come between Him and I? I have felt His presence so strongly at times and no one can tell me that I haven't. And even when I don't feel Him, I KNOW He's there. God is just SO awesome!

But if you want a more concrete answer, I try to study His Word as much as possible (although there is MUCH room for improvement in that area) and listening to gospel music really helps me keep things in perspective. Also, encouraging and ministering to other people refreshes me spiritually.

Uber

I'm gonna come back and read what you have written properly BubblingbrownShuga.

Interesting Q's, and here's my answers:

Were you raised in a Christian home? If so, were you encouraged to ask questions? No, we were supposed to be catholic, went to catholic school and church occasionally but nothing serious. In all my time as a Catholic I didn't know who God was.

Were you ever agnostic/atheist? If so, how did you come to Christ? No

Be honest- when things are well in your life, do you thank God or just chalk it up to chance? When things are not well in your life, do you blame God? I thank God for the good things. I have questioned the point of being a Christian when a major thing I had believed God for came and then did not quite go my way.

Do you believe Christianity is a religion or a relationship? Relationship

Do you question the Bible? If you do, have you found supporting evidence for your questions? Yep, until recently I could not relate to Jesus. In my mind the accounts of the resurrection just could not be possible. I have gotton some answers to this and spiritually I have revelation. i don't try to understand the resurrection with my mind.

How do you view God? Do you view Him as unfair/fair? To be honest I am unable to use either of those words for God. It seems I would be judging God. I think he is Omnipotent.

Do you view the Bible as sexist? It has never crossed my mind

What cliches do you refrain from saying? "I'm blessed" when asked how am I. i also don't like "acting" Christian. its slightly difficult to concise what I mean by that in words.

Do you witness? If so, how and when? I always witness when I meet new people. It will be on a one-to-one basis when I feel they have let me in to their personal space, if that makes sense.

Do you feel like when you witness, you are imposing your beliefs on another? How do you filter out when to witness and when not to so that you won't seem 'pushy?' No, I feel like i am letting people know the truth. But I think being pushy is a personality thing. There are those who like to ram thier beliefs, whether Christian or otherwise, down your throat. IMO they usually lack emphathy skills. I also think that there are many non christians, no matter how you approach them will feel that you are forcing your beliefs. The other day my neighbour got upset when my other neighbour mentioned (in a very btw sort of a manner) we should pray for another neighbour who had tried to kill herself. He got up and left.

Do you believe the Bible is antiquated? Hmmmm, not entirely sure. I don't think i really consider it as such. For me it was written in a particular era and that's all.

Have you noticed that when you provide someone with biblical advice they may shrug it off and dismiss it but when you word the same advice in a secular way, they accept it? How do you deal with this? i would be happy that they would be able to accept a biblical principal without directly knowing. I would probably wonder to what extent they would follow the advice without implementing a secular viewpoint, and i would also be sad that they did no want to accept JC as Lord and Saviour.

Do you/have you attended a church that researched Biblical history?Yes, I have

How do you maintain your faith/trust in God? It's so easy to be like, there's no God when you see bad things happen around you (or even in the Bible) and dismiss this Christianity walk altogther. In fact, dismissing it's even encouraged. When you believe in God (and worst to some the Bible and Jesus) you are treated like you're brainwashed. How do you handle this
? I couldn't care either way how people think I am because they are the ones that are missing out. I think that I maintain my faith because otherwise i would have nothing to live for, no purpose, no drive. i have to believe in something. I have to have hope, or else there would be no point in life. I think I would turn into a vegetable if I did not keep my faith. Everything i do, my very being is dependant upon my faith. When you think about it, many people live their lives without knowing why they exist in life or they have no realrealisation of what they can give to life, from one day to the next. Even something simple as being a mother, some non -christians do not understand the legacies and purpose they should be passing to the next generation. If I had never come to Christianity, I would never have understood this fully. I would have raised my child to enjoy life. I would have filled my own voids with partying my life away. Enjoying life in a secular way would be the only thing that would have given me purpose. I know many that do just this with their life. They just party it away. Not being judgemental but there is more that can be contributed to life. With my faith it means everyday I have th opportunity to make an impact in my society. Sorry I went on a bit there

Last edited:

loolalooh

Responding with sleepy eyes ....

Were you raised in a Christian home? If so, were you encouraged to ask questions? Christian home - Yes. Encouraged to ask questions - No but I'm sure if questions were asked, that would have been fine.

Were you ever agnostic/atheist? If so, how did you come to Christ? Almost went atheist a couple of times, but I came back when I noticed His presence.

Be honest- when things are well in your life, do you thank God or just chalk it up to chance? When things are not well in your life, do you blame God? I thank God when they go well. In the past, I blamed Him went they went bad. I no longer blame Him though because either a) I'm really to blame or b) His plan/will is best.

Do you believe Christianity is a religion or a relationship? A relationship.

Do you question the Bible? If you do, have you found supporting evidence for your questions? In the past I questioned. Right now, no questioning. There's historical supporting evidence out there (some controversial/debatable), etc. However, my biggest reason for why I no longer question the Bible is that I no longer question God's existence. His existence makes the Bible that much more real for me.

How do you view God? Do you view Him as unfair/fair? He's fair. He's just. I think to Proverbs.

Do you view the Bible as sexist? No. For example, disciples consisted of men and women (Acts). Husband and wife respect each other (Ephesians).

What cliches do you refrain from saying? Hmm. I don't intentionally avoid cliches nor do I use them.

Do you witness? If so, how and when? Not as much as I can but I'm working on it. Just recently, yes, to an unsaved friend. How - I told the story of how God has made His presence known in my life, speaks to me, has saved me, etc. When do I witness - when I feel drawn to do so.

Do you feel like when you witness, you are imposing your beliefs on another? How do you filter out when to witness and when not to so that you won't seem 'pushy?' No. In the case above, it began with the question of how I knew plan A was the right plan for me ... I used that opportunity to open up about God. I asked my friend if he was comfortable talking about the subject and he said sure. It may be a different agenda for the next person I witness to, but the trend is I look for opportunities and for God to put it on my heart to do so.

Do you believe the Bible is antiquated? No.

Have you noticed that when you provide someone with biblical advice they may shrug it off and dismiss it but when you word the same advice in a secular way, they accept it? How do you deal with this? This has not happened in my experience.

Do you/have you attended a church that researched Biblical history? Yes.

How do you maintain your faith/trust in God? It's so easy to be like, there's no God when you see bad things happen around you (or even in the Bible) and dismiss this Christianity walk altogther. In fact, dismissing it's even encouraged. When you believe in God (and worst to some the Bible and Jesus) you are treated like you're brainwashed. How do you handle this? I maintain my faith by looking at all of creation, all He's done for me, how He's saved me, and hearing/feeling Him guide me. Most of all, by hearing/feeling Him.

Last edited:

Uber

How do you view God? Do you view Him as unfair/fair? He's fair. He's just. I think to Proverbs.

I forgot about this. Thanks. I know he is fair, I just felt wierd trying to say. I don't even know why I felt that way. I should have just said what was on my heart.

JinaRicci

OK, here are my answers.

Were you raised in a Christian home? If so, were you encouraged to ask questions?
Yes & Yes.

No.

I don't believe in 'chance.' I've had enough experiences in my walk with God to realize that He is working things out for me. When things are not well, I have blamed God when I questioned why He didn't move faster or do something different to take care of the situation- which was wrong. I know that God allows bad things to happen and it's because of my relationship (& its potential) that I am tried.

Christianity is a relationship. It's YOUR committment to walk in sync with Christ. You can fellowship with other people who share the same beliefs as a religion but the most important thing is your personal relationship. That's what will save you.

I believe that the Bible is ordained, inspired & given by God. I don't question that the Bible is accurate. My questions on the Bible are to dig deeper so that I understand better.

God is more than fair. Why He loves me so much & continues to bless me despite my failures is so amazing to me.

No. There are some attitudes towards women that were more cultural than anything at that time. We still live in a sexist world today. But God is not sexist. Look at all the powerful women in the Bible that He raised up: Deborah, Esther, Jael, Dorcas, Abigail...

Don't know.

Yes, hopefully everyday. I believe that your life should be a witness.

If you're sharing something with someone, you have to be willing to share & do just that without trying to convince. It's hard when you're passionate about something that you believe in but I try very hard to walk away before/once I start getting pushy. Plant the seed and let the Holy Spirit do the conviction.

No. Not at all. Just this past weekend I was taking another look at the story of Lot. Some of that stuff that went down is not even widespread in the world today and that was OT.

Have you noticed that when you provide someone with biblical advice they may shrug it off and dismiss it but when you word the same advice in a secular way, they accept it? How do you deal with this?

Hmm.. People look for practical advice and sometimes they separate the practical from the biblical because they think the answers can't be found in the Bible or from God. I don't think you can change their outlook. Enlighten them but allow them to grow on their own to increase their understanding.

Yes.

Here's what I know. Bad things are going to happen. Being a Christian doesn't give you an escape card. It's not an easy walk. BUT my faith in God gives me the confidence that He will be there to help me. I can't ever imagine facing all the bad things in the world without God.

Yes- some will think you're brainwashed but it's just their opinion. Every one wants help when things go bad. It doesn't make you weak or a coward- quite the opposite.

That's not to say that your faith will not be tested. There will be things that affect you more than others that try your Christianity. I've been there. It was hard. Every day was a struggle to stay connected with God. But I didn't curse God, I kept praying & a lot of my loved ones kept praying. In the end, my relationship with God is so much better because I've seen what God can do with the worst of situations. It could have gone so differently. I mean, I could have been dead & I know without a doubt that it was all Him saving me. No one is that 'lucky' or strong.

That's my testimony. That's why my faith remains in God. Thanks for the reminder.

Aviah

Here's a book I am going to read that deals with the above. It received very high customer reviews on amazon.

As far as your comments go:
Most African-Americans are not even Christian, so who told them not to be? Those who are Christians decided to live for Christ because it's their choice. God doesn't force Himself you on at all. This is not Biblical. He provides you the option of 'life and death,' but at the same time encourages not forces you to choose life.

What does what happened during slavery have to do with going to church and being a Christian now? Once again it's a choice to go to church and be a Christian. For me, I support my church because for one, I believe in tithing and two, I see where my money's going and it's going into struggling communities locally and nationally. The church has the means to support those who are hurting and seeking on a grander scale than I do so I extend my financial blessings to them. The slave owners had being a Christian ALL Wrong. They twisted the Bible to support their false claims while ignoring the teachings of Christ and these scriptures:
We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. – 1 John 4:19-20

This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother. - 1 John 3:10

Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' – Matthew 22:37-39

No Bibical love was extended during slavery time and it does NOT reflect the Bible.

DITTO. I love this author, I read "The Case for Christ" amazing book, with hard facts. be back with answers, I'm at work!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Yes, I was raised in a Christian Baptist home. I was neither encouraged or discouraged to ask questions. When I was younger, I simply believed rather than question anything I was taught or told in church or by my parents.

Yes, but I actually went backwards...I'm actually feeling like I'm going through a period of agnosticism/atheism right now. But anyway, I came to Christ when I was 8 years old after hearing a message from my pastor back in 1992 (this wasn't my dad, it was some other man). What really moved me to believing is because of the notions of Heaven and Hell and that if you don't believe, you will go to Hell. I also felt like since I learned alot about Jesus from Sunday School, that I knew Jesus and getting baptized was the thing to do. So I walked up there in front of the church after a sermon one Sunday to answer the 3 questions: "Do believe Jesus is the Son of God?" "Do you believe He died on the cross for the punishment of your sins?" "Do you believe he rose on the 3rd day with all power with Heaven and Earth in His hands?" And of course I said "Yes" to all these questions. And then the pastor would quote Romans 10:9 "whosoever confess with their mouth and believe in their heart the Lord Jesus Christ shall be saved."

When things are well in my life, I have done both...thanked God and chalked it up to chance. But to really be honest, my family would be more thankful to God about my achievements and good things that happen in my life than I would. That's mainly because I was never the type of person to boast or brag about things going good in my life. As I got older, my dad would even get on me for not giving testimony to blessings in my life. He said the devil was keeping me in my seat when I don't give praise to God in front of the church. I'm just not a very vocal person in public or around a lot of people. I'm very introverted.
But anyway, as far as things not so well in my life, yes, I have blamed God, mainly because I felt like good things should happen to Christians since we believe in Him. As I got older, I got over that notion after being taught God is a sovereign God and whatever happens God wills it and we should be content with whatever happens in our life and that bad things happen to good people to build our character and make us stronger and to test our faith. But I have also blamed myself sometimes when things were not as well in my life.

I believe it's a religion, but I have tried to believe it as a relationship in my mind. It's a religion in the sense that we have all different types of churches and denominations set up by man for different purposes and agendas. I know there are some genuine churches out there that do believe in fellowshipping with believers and helping others, but there are some out there that's out to control people's minds and actions and take their money and for fame and glory.
As far as seeing Christianity as a relationship, it has been somewhat difficult for me as I got older. When I was younger, I really felt like I was talking to God when I prayed. As I got older nearing my mid-20s, I felt like when I prayed, I was talking to an imaginary being or talking to myself in my head. I know several Christians would say something like "you don't have the Spirit of God" or "the Devil has gotten into your mind", but I know that simply isn't the case. It's mainly because God is not a physical being that I can see, hear, or touch. It's difficult to have a relationship with a being that you cannot see, hear, or touch. And that's me being real and honest about this.

Yes, I question the Bible. I started questioning the Bible when I was in college around the age of 21. And I still have not found any solid evidence supporting my questions. I don't think I ever will as long as I living. I guess that's why they say "you gotta have faith".

Right now, I don't know how I view God anymore, but I can say it's kinda like this... God gets angry when He doesn't get His way, but when He gets His way, He may test the good ones to see if they truly have faith in Him. But before now, I used to view him as a fair/just and loving as well as a jealous God based on what I had been taught.

Yes.

Several. Too many to mention.

Not really. I would say the only time I witness was at church to the youth whenever I would teach Sunday School or Bible study. And I have also witnessed online on the Internet before.

I have sometimes felt like I was imposing my beliefs on another in the past when I would witness online, but never in public or face-to-face with someone. As far as filtering out when to witness, I just simply don't do it.

Yes, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I see the Bile as a collection of old writings that are continued from or adherring to the past which give lessons of moral living.

I don't really deal with it. I don't find it surprising when people do this. Plus, you can find good advice without the Bible. A lot of people will say the Bible is their ultimate authority and will even use the Bible as their reasoning to even do something secular, worldly, or wrong. The Bible is power.

No. The first time I researched Biblical history was in college.

Maintaining faith/trust in God is what I am dealing with now. I feel like my faith/trust in God is dwindling. And you're right, it's easy to say there's no God and dismiss the Christian walk when you see bad things happening around you, but in my case, I'm actually questioning God's existence and this Christian walk with good things happening around me too.
As far as being treated like I'm brainwashed for believing in God, Jesus, and the Bible, I never really felt like I was treated like that. However, I can actually see where those people who say "Christians are brainwashed" are coming from.

Last edited:

Galadriel

There were African Christians before Europe even knew what the deal was. There is a rich history and great contributions made by African Christianity--one of which is one of the most widely revered, read, and quoted theologians of all time, Augustine of Hippo (4th Century African) who is honored as a saint in several churches and is a Doctor of the Church in the Catholic Church.

And what evidence do you have that most African American Christians are only Christian because they are "told" to be? Have you gone out and surveyed African American Christians to get this info.? And for the record, touting a pagan religion doesn't automatically make it true or more "black" or "African."

Oh, and Horus is not a historical figure--Jesus of Nazareth is.

i believe in god but im not religious ..religion was made to separate people a man made lie

the lie of Christianity to control the black race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqlUTTM5ue0

i was just thinking of asking this question why are black people christians all this time we spend our money in the church and we give everything we got to the church but when you look back in history, church has never had our backs during slavery the church turned there backs on us and just let it happen

why christian and why not kemet ???

"Find out whether or not the following is true about Horus!"
http://www.stellarhousepublishing.com/christinegypt.html

"Christ in Egypt:
The Horus-Jesus Connection
is here!"

* Horus was born on "December 25th" (winter solstice) in a manger.
* He was of royal descent, and his mother was the "virgin Isis-Mery."
* Horus's birth was announced by a star in the East and attended by three "wise men."
* At age 12, he was a child teacher in the Temple, and at 30, he was baptized.
* Horus was baptized by "Anup the Baptizer," who was decapitated.
* The Egyptian god had 12 companions, helpers or disciples.
* Horus performed miracles, exorcised demons and raised Osiris from the dead.
* The god walked on water.
* Horus was "crucified" between two "thieves."
* He (or Osiris) was buried for three days in a tomb and resurrected.
* Horus/Osiris was also the "Way, the Truth, the Life," "Messiah," the "Son of Man," the "Good Shepherd," the "Lamb of God," the "Word made flesh," the "Word of Truth," etc.
* Horus's personal epithet was "Iusa," the "ever-becoming son" of the Father. He was called "Holy Child," as well as "the Anointed One," while Osiris was the KRST.
* Horus battled with the "evil one," Set/Seth.
Horus was to reign for one thousand years.

milaydy31

Were you raised in a Christian home? If so, were you encouraged to ask questions? yes I was raised in a Christian home. Never ask questions about it

no

I thank God for every good things that happen in my life. But I have to admit that sometime I blame Him when everything is going wrong. Sometime I try hard to fix everything and I don't usually understand why I don't succed. So I tell God that I am aware that if I don't have what I want it's because I know that I want it but He know what I need. But sometime it's really difficult to accept it so I tell Him that He should try to understand me better. This can sound imature or silly but that's how I feel sometime.[/B]

I think that Christianity is a relationship. It's like a relation between me and God through Jesus Christ. But I know that a lot of people see it as a religion.

It's happen to me to question the Bible and I usually get answers. In the begining it was harder to understand but as I improve in this relationship, I find more and more evidences, and not only in the Bible but in everything in my life. I had a really harsh time to understand when people said that God was talking to them, but now it's ok. I think that the more you learn the more you understand and it's the same with the Bible.

I think that god is fair. The problem is that we don't usually understand what He really want for us. My relationship with God is like a relationship with a parent, like my Father. As a child you have to listen to your parents and you don't usually understand why they want you to do this or that. But when you grow up you finaly understand that they only wanted the best for you. I think that with God it's the same. He know what is good for you befor you even know it.

I don't see the Bible as sexist. I think that it's a matter of interpretation or sometime a matter of ignorance. For me the "virtuous woman" is equal to her husband in that the Bible tells us that she can work, she take decisions, she contribute to the edification of her family. Her childern and her husband respect her. So there is nothing sexist in it. We just have to bear in mind that the Bible was ritten in a historical context that is really different from the world that we live in actually

I don't really witness but I sometime share my beliefs with other friend Christians or not.

No. I usually talk to open minded people so we never have to fight to impose our point of view or biliefs. But if I see that the other person don't really get the point of what I say, I think it's better to end the discussion. Sometime people only need to discover by themselfs.

As I said befor, we just have to take into account that the Bible was not written in 2010. So we have to adjust. For me the Bible is a kind of parable.

Because the idea of God can afraid some people, like something that can "restrain" their freedom. They sometime think that Religion is not for them, that it's "antiquated". When you read the Bible you can see that even Jesus used parable to explain certain things. It's because the Bible is a parable full of golden rules to improve life. If you give biblical advice it's as if you were giving orders (commandements), but when you use parables, you only give guidances and I think it's better.

I don't look brainwashed because I don't walk in the street preaching out loud, I don't juge or condemn. My relationship with God is something personal. The Bible only teach us to act like good people so as soon as you don't hurt people they will never be hurt by your Christianity.
Sometime we can be discouraged and it happen to me, but even in those moments I don't question the existence of God. It can happen that I blame Him, but if you blame Him that mean that you still believe in Him (You can't be angry against someone that doesn't exist). I think that bad things happen because we have the choice to believe in Him or not. He loves us as a Father, so as a Father, he want's us to experience life and He gives us guidances to experience this life. You have the choice to take them into account or not.

Last edited:

Galadriel

I was not raised in a Christian home. My mother was raised JW but left as a teenager and never bothered to raise me or my siblings in any type of religion or church community.

Perhaps not actively or intellectually, but I didn't become interested in religion until high school. I started visiting a Catholic church with my best friend from HS who is Catholic. I started asking all kinds of questions, studied, and then after about two years decided to convert to Catholicism. Just a few months before entering college I was baptized and confirmed. My conversion experience was inspired by the example of several saints and my studies of the Bible.

When things are well, I do thank God because I believe good things come from He who is Goodness itself :yep:. When things suck, I see it as an opportunity to identify my hardship and suffering with the suffering of Christ and offer it up to God for the edification of myself and others. Our society hates suffering because it has no meaning--but when I think on the suffering of Christ, first of all my own suffering pales in comparison, and secondly, I see it as a way to "carry my cross" and follow Him.

Both. Christianity has a theological system, doctrines, beliefs and practices--so it is a religion. At the same time, it has both a PUBLIC and PRIVATE life, and so that private aspect is the relationship we have with Our Savior.

I don't question the validity or truth of the Bible--if I did I wouldn't proclaim myself a fully committed and believing Christian. Do I question "What does this passage mean?" or "How can I better understand this?" then yes, I do that! It helps that I have a few years of formal biblical studies training under my belt (went to a Christian university for undergrad).

God is the Creator and Lord of all existence. He exists as a Trinity--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He is all-holy, all-wise, all-good, omnipotent, omnipresent, infinite, and Merciful and Just.

Hmm, I would have to ask what you mean by "sexist" because it is a political term that we use in today's society that did not exist or have meaning in antiquated Biblical society (or antiquated society in general).

Can't think of any, but I don't like cliches!

I try to witness first and foremost with my life...my actions. I just read a very good book (as a devotion) where the author says that the greatest witness we can give is to "be a saint." That is more powerful than any academic argument or spirited sermon.

I believe apologetics is meant to remove honest intellectual obstacles a person may have with accepting Christianity.

As someone who didn't grow up Christian and who encountered quite a few annoying Christians, I would never want to beat someone over the head with my beliefs, especially in a mean-spirited manner. I have studied other religions and philosophies and enjoy discussing issues with people of different beliefs and perspectives. When I present my beliefs, it's usually because the person asks me a question or presents me with a challenge, which is fine. I believe Peter says in one of his letters to be ready with an answer and to share with people the hope that is within us.

With this said, I can't pretend that some people, especially those who are antagonistic toward Christianity, use this as a crutch or a brick wall to dodge honest dialogue with thoughtful Christians. It's so easy today as soon as we open our mouths for someone to whine "Stop pushing your beliefs on me!" Firstly, our society in general is so intellectually lazy we can't even recognize the difference between a good argument and a bad argument, and people need to acknowledge that explaining or defending your beliefs does not equal pushing your beliefs on someone.

Why would it be okay or acceptable for that other poster to come into this thread telling us that most of us (Christians) are only Christian because we were told to be and that we should check out "Kemet" religion? YET, let us proclaim Jesus Christ and all of a sudden we're closed-minded religion-pushers.

There is a double standard and hypocrisy that goes on with this.

Not at all. It's God's Word and speaks truths which are objective--meant for all people in all times and places. I have found that often people who think it's antiquated think that its moral code is antiquated--which makes them feel better about their sins. They are quick to quote the passages about compassion and mercy--those virtues never seem "antiquated," but when it comes to things like fornication, adultery, greed, etc. all of a sudden they can't be bothered with such "antiquated" morality.

:yep: yep. I just KIM and pray for them.

Yes, but a lot of studying I did on my own b/c I was just so excited when I first started! I didn't want to wait for class, I just HAD to keep going!

How do you maintain your faith/trust in God? It's so easy to be like, there's no God when you see bad things happen around you (or even in the Bible) and dismiss this Christianity walk altogther. In fact, dismissing it's even encouraged.

I just think of Christ and the evil He suffered, and it is a reminder that He understands what suffering is, what injustice is, and that suffering can be turned into redemption.

I go to church, I pray, I receive communion, I try to emulate God's mercy, I try to live a life of love and justice. When I see people who are far more learned than I, far more pious and holy than I...I am in awe and see them as big brothers and sisters to imitate. They are shining examples of the Body of Christ.

When you believe in God (and worst to some the Bible and Jesus) you are treated like you're brainwashed. How do you handle this?

Depending on the person I'm interacting with, I may not respond to them, because some people just like to bait you into a fruitless argument. However, if the person is honest, respectful, and have questions or objections or wants to participate in honest dialogue, then I will engage that person.

Bubblingbrownshuga

Hey ladies, I am not going to leave you all hanging. I have answered my own questions posed by myself, but I just haven't had time to post them. I will when I get home.

Prudent1

Were you raised in a Christian home? yes

If so, were you encouraged to ask questions?Encouraged no but we were not told we could not ask questions either. We did ask plenty. My brother and I always joke about us being from MO. You know the 'show me' state. It is not nor has it ever been in my nature to except whatever I'm told to be the absolute truth. I have gotten plenty of spankings/ reprimands for this as a kid. Not for simply asking but b/c I often asked with a stank attitude.:lachen:

Were you ever agnostic/atheist? If so, how did you come to Christ? I think as a human being period you go through periods of doubt and questioning. I think that's natural. I don't know anyone regardless of background who doesn't do this. I knew of Christ b/c of my upbringing but I didn't care to know him on any personal level. God was for old ppl and losers/weak ppl in my world. You only call him if you really messed something up or if you knew/thought you were about to die. At least as far as me and my friends were concerned. After all, if he was real then I was wrong about doing all of the stuff I wanted to do that felt good. Accepting him would be the ultimate killjoy (or so I thought). Anyway, I got serious after going through a horrible marriage that he was not allowed to be in. I was pretty much at rock bottom in my life. Real talk, what I was doing was not working. I talked to him while alone in my car one day about my situation (even while telling myself he might not really exist). The things I said to him were very detailed and I never spoke them out loud. Only in my mind. I was on a business trip about a month or so later and decided to stop by a beauty shop to get my hair styled. I knew no one there. The man who was styling my hair leaned in close to me and said I need to tell you something. God heard you he said here's what you need to do to fix your situation... I was like ok- creepie but still not convinced. Later that evening as I sat having dinner with a completely different person he started telling me God wanted to help me. Then he proceeded to tell me verbatim what I only said in my head to God. I had never said those words to any human ever. So, I knew God really could hear me but it still took years for me to seek him consistently:blush:. Still, that was a big turning point in my life.

Nope absolutely not. I used to but I have seen too many things and experienced way too many things to credit luck, chance, fate, connections, good genes, intelligence, or whatever for things that should be attributed to God! When things are not going well, b/c of my past experiences, I KNOW God is still God-period. I learned through a very long and painful employment situation that just b/c I don't feel like or cannot sense in some way God's presence, does not mean he is not diligently working on my behalf-ALWAYS.

Do you believe Christianity is a religion or a relationship? REAL Christianity is all about a personal relationship with Jesus.

Do you question the Bible? If you do, have you found supporting evidence for your questions?All of the times! The little girl who asks questions still resides in me. I had to learn, I am that way (questioning) b/c that is the way God made me. I can't drink the kool-aid just b/c Rev. Dr. Prof. Deacon so & so said I should. God always answers my questions. He is very creative with when and how but I always get answers. They were in the bible all along but hey,that's a big book with a lot of stuff in it. A lot of which reflects a culture that I am not familiar with but want to continue to learn all about. I am by God, very analytical in everything I do. I love Christian apologetics and all types of historical information, etc. I dig and dig some more so that I can be informed about as much as I can. I love learning period but especially about God and the things that are of him. I have found lots of evidence to support my claims. I could not follow God any other way.:look:

How do you view God? Do you view Him as unfair/fair?I view him as a loving, caring, funny :)yep:- get to know him), intelligent, father. I used to think he was unfair (slavery, women's issues, monetary matters, matters of the heart, etc) but when I started to question why I believed what I believed and then actually read the bible, I saw that my perceptions were badly distorted. I will add too, learning/ knowing what a real man's role in life is (protector, provider, prophet, and priest) has helped me tremendously in understanding what the role of a heavenly father (who I have not seen with physical eyes) was/ is.

Last edited:

Prudent1

Do you view the Bible as sexist?Nope. I used to but then I decided to read it for myself. I decided to back track in my life to see who taught me everything I ever thought about what it meant to be a woman. Then I examined each of those thoughts one by one and tested them for validity. God loves women. There were/ are many men who (under the banner of Christianity) have twisted his words and abused women for their own selfish agendas. The things they claim and the actions they perpetuated are clearly unbiblical. Few ever challenge this stuff as they ought to:nono:. Women are not equal to men in the sense of drano not being equal to AOHSR. Ppl who don't get it would say they are both liquids. That's true but their purposes are very different. I dare anyone to DC with drano this weekend and post pics. That's what we do when we march to the beat of the 'women are equal to men drum'. We are not less than men. We are equal in the sense that we are both human and created carefully in the image of a divine God but we have different purposes. The next time you want a q-tip reach for a tampon and use it in the same manner you would the q-tip. Why not they are both absorbent products on a stick of some sort? Imagine that at lunch with your girlfriends. The q-tip is not less useful or unequal to the tampon but I think we all agree they have different purposes. Capish?

What cliches do you refrain from saying?'God is able to do anything but fail.'- b/c ppl say that like they say I love 'x' and have no real understanding of the concept. I only say this around ppl I know understand what I mean.
'I can do all things through Christ Jesus...'- b/c all means all he told/ created you to do not you trying to do what he designed someone else to do.
'God told me 'x' '- b/c that gets used in all the wrong places. God does tell us things but here's the catch, they actually happen when it is from him.:rolleyes:

Do you witness? If so, how and when? Yeah. Pretty much all of the times. I witness by being me. The good stuff, the bad stuff:sekret:, the ugly stuff. I'm me and I am contagious. I try to infect everybody I come in contact with for kingdom business.:blush: Yes, sometimes I have opportunities to talk to ppl about God and I try to take advantage of that but God has not called me to street ministry or other aggressive forms of ministry-yet. So, in the mean time, I do me. B/c his spirit lives in me ppl are drawn to me and don't even know why. I do.:lachen: I share how I overcame this situation or that situation. If they aren't receptive they can KIM. Yea, I said that. I'll pray for them and KIM too. Those that are receptive I freely share what I KNOW to be the truth. I'm not being harsh either. I base that on the scriptures where it says some plant seed, some water, but only God gives the increase. I try to imitate Jesus. Where in scripture was he ever stomping around screaming, "but I am God- please listen to me!" He loved all and understood his audience. He gave relevant examples for who he was witnessing to at the time not b/c he was inconsistent but b/c he was well versed and knowledgable about many things. He did not worry about being politically correct and lived under far harsher forms of government than what I am living under. That's why I can and do IRL have many conversations with ppl of other ethnicities, religions, atheists, agnostics, hood, collegiate professors, etc. I'll give you the truth. What you choose to do with it is up to you. As the cliche goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it." Speak, pray, assess response, KIM, pray some more.

Do you feel like when you witness, you are imposing your beliefs on another? How do you filter out when to witness and when not to so that you won't seem 'pushy?'No. See above. I'm not trying to force someone to do anything against their will. That is not how or why I got to know Jesus and I think it's ineffective and obtrusive. Speak, pray, assess response, KIM, pray some more.

Do you believe the Bible is antiquated?As in out dated? Nope. Truth never gets old. Just like a classic song sung by Patti versus sayomething BEY sings. For example, it is true that the sky is blue today. It was blue before we were born. It will be blue when we are dead. When it's cloudy if you go to a higher altitude it's still blue. Proverbs alone is full of sayings that are still true. The accounts of the actions/ behaviors of the ppl of the bible are still ringing true b/c human nature is not complicated and in it's godless form is still the same.

Yep. I usually laugh and point it out to them in a non-demeaning way. Most ppl have not even read the bible.

Do you/have you attended a church that researched Biblical history? I have. It was not at the traditional church I grew up at though. They did the best they could and gave me a good foundation.:yep: It was after I was out on my own that I started to learn how science, history, and other things like biology actually complemented and confirmed the bible. The church I attend now does more and more:yay: but, I understand like any other classroom type situation, you have a learning curve so Pastor and the leaders can't just get up there and start talking about the Hebrew dialect w/o losing some folks. I research a lot of things on my own and I have Christian friends who stay up on topics as well.

How do you maintain your faith/trust in God? It's so easy to be like, there's no God when you see bad things happen around you (or even in the Bible) and dismiss this Christianity walk altogther. In fact, dismissing it's even encouraged. When you believe in God (and worst to some the Bible and Jesus) you are treated like you're brainwashed. How do you handle this? I have seen and experienced too much personally to be turned otherwise. It's true it's easy to forget about or take God for granted. This relationship is just like any other. You get out of it what you put in it. Staying focused helps you to remember why you are living the good life at that time. Let me say too because I am so comfortable in knowing who I am in Christ, I shake that stuff off and KIM. Now, I did not get this way overnight. If someone wants to keep flipping off at the mouth, I'll leave you standing there talking to yourself **shrugs**. One of us is going to look really stupid and it will not be me. I am not someone who is afraid to go blow for blow with the verbal jabs. I'm not the one provoking but if you bring it be ready to have that stuff flipped on you. I am naturally sarcastic and have a reasonable command of the English language. Lots of folks who went there have been shut down and found that out the hard way. Excellent thought provoking questions OP!
Rom 8:35-39
35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." 37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[m] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan

Traditionally Christian, but neither of my parents went to church. I could ask whatever questions I wanted.

No, I have always believed in God.

When things go well in my life I do thank God. When they are not well, I attempt to discern why--if it is related to my own poor decisions, or if it is simply a period of struggle. I wouldn't say that I "blame" God for the bad things that happen, though I have felt hurt by Him for allowing certain things to continue in my life.

It is both. Religion is simply the outward, physical expression of spiritual truths. Religion can be full of life and a real knowledge of God, or it can be empty. Which it is depends on whether the individual has faith.

Question in what way? I have found that I come to a much better understanding of Scripture when I first believe what it says, and then work on figuring out how it all fits together. That has actually been extremely helpful because I have never wanted for an adequate answer to my questions if I first trusted that Scripture was true and then asked how it could be that such and such was the case.

If I were to automatically assume that Scripture is false in some way, then no answer would ever be good enough--since I've already concluded that it's wrong.

Hmm...fair/unfair. I'm not sure what to think about that. The only way to judge fairness is by a moral standard of what people do and do not deserve. As far as I can tell, God is the only standard by which we can determine what people do and do not deserve. And more than that, He is the only One who truly knows all of the thoughts, actions, and contents of a person's heart to be able to judge righteously. If His judgment is the standard, then I don't stand in judgment upon His actions and decisions, but rather it is for me to step back and understand His ways.

I view God as eternally wise and good in everything He does.

I view the Bible as a collection of letters, histories, stories, visions written by dozens of individuals over centuries. I see that many of those individuals had improper views of women. I do not believe that the principles we given to follow in Scripture regarding men and women are sexist.

I try to refrain from the phrases: "personal relationship with God," "God told me," "born again" (that's just a personal one, I have no issue with the concept, as I am indeed "born again"), "saved" (another personal one), "it was a 'God thing'"

I do not go out of my way to speak to people about the Gospel outside of organized church programs and services, though if it comes up in conversation, sure. There was a time when I did so, but I have discovered over the years that I have seemed to have had a much greater impact in simply living my life in front of family and friends than I ever did trying to give someone a tract...though who knows, those people could have eventually come to know the Lord (and I got "saved" through a tract myself, so I can't knock it)

I think we have to pay attention to the culture of which we are a part and the people to whom we are speaking. There are definitely certain social circles in which witnessing would be viewed as a social faux pas. And there are others in which walking up to people to talk about Jesus would be perfectly ok. I think we have to pay attention to whether people are receptive to what we have to say.

Basically, witnessing should be relational. Are you out there talking to people because you actually care about them, or is it because you feel it's a duty or that you're supposed to "change the world for Christ," (another cliche I don't like that much)? I think that it's easy to forget that even if you know the Gospel is true, the person on the street doesn't know you from Adam, so you have to meet them on their turf and their terms, and if they're open, great. But if they're not, the Lord has other ways...

Nope, not in the least.

I don't know if I have noticed this. Maybe with issues pertaining to sex. I think the issue is that the Bible isn't really about advice-giving. Giving advice kind of presumes a scenario where you're just trying to help the person make the best decision for themselves according to their overall goals. The Bible isn't really about helping us achieve our goals, but about getting us to repent and submit ourselves to Christ's Lordship in our lives. We become slaves of His agenda rather than our own.

So I feel that the goals of advice-giving and scriptural exhortation are different, which is probably why they don't have the same effect. Scriptural exhortation will only work for those who are interested in obeying God.

If someone is not a Christian, I will give a general wisdom-perspective. But if they are a Christian, I will try to exhort them to obedience to God, since that's the ultimate point.

No...at least I don't think so.

Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. And once again, faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

This is powerful. We grow in faith by immersing ourselves in God's word. Many times we as Christians try to survive on devotionals with a few verses here or there, and we end up spiritually starving. We need to stay deeply rooted in God's word. Meditating on it, studying it. All the answers are there. His Spirit will give strength and understanding. We must cling to His word!

Last edited:

trenise

Were you raised in a Christian home? If so, were you encouraged to ask questions? They went to Vhristian Church

Were you ever agnostic/atheist? If so, how did you come to Christ?I questioned many things and swayed toward Agnostic and the Occult. It is truly the love and mercy of God through the Holy Ghost that brought me out of that.

Be honest- when things are well in your life, do you thank God or just chalk it up to chance? When things are not well in your life, do you blame God?When things go well. I thank God. When things are not well, I thank God. God is still God regardless of the pain and or suffering that is in my life. I have no anger toward God for the bad things, or what I see as bad.

Do you believe Christianity is a religion or a relationship?I believe it is both. Because of cultural issues, there are certain ways we express our Christianity. This is the religion part. The religion part is going to church on Saturday or Sunday, or when you take communion, or what songs you sing, or if you use musical instruments in the service. Then there is the relationship of talking to God, loving Him, applying the Word yo your life.

Do you question the Bible? If you do, have you found supporting evidence for your questions?I've always thought I could better understand the bible if I could read it in its original language and not a translation

How do you view God? Do you view Him as unfair/fair?God is just. We may as people, with limited understanding see something as unfair. We can't see the big picture much of the time. God is just

Do you view the Bible as sexist?Many men who are sexist can interepret it to be so, just as racist interpret it to promote white superiority.

What cliches do you refrain from saying?I don't say people are lucky, because luck implies that things happened by chance or without God's knowledge.

Do you witness? If so, how and when?I admit I used to much more that I do now. But I used to often, even to the point of knocking on doors and coming into stranger's homes to pray with them and prying with people on the street.

Do you feel like when you witness, you are imposing your beliefs on another? How do you filter out when to witness and when not to so that you won't seem 'pushy?'I've never been pushy, but always polite. There have even been times when I did not want to but God strongly urged me to and te persn told me I'd given them something they'd been praying for.

Do you believe the Bible is antiquated?no

Have you noticed that when you provide someone with biblical advice they may shrug it off and dismiss it but when you word the same advice in a secular way, they accept it? How do you deal with this?I've never thought about this before

Do you/have you attended a church that researched Biblical history?I'm not sure I know what you mean. But I do like to do Jewish cultural studies and some other studies on my own

How do you maintain your faith/trust in God? It's so easy to be like, there's no God when you see bad things happen around you (or even in the Bible) and dismiss this Christianity walk altogther. In fact, dismissing it's even encouraged. When you believe in God (and worst to some the Bible and Jesus) you are treated like you're brainwashed. How do you handle this?I believe it is very important to be filled with the Holy Ghost. If you only have the religion part of Christianity, then yes, you can more easily drop it when you are criticized, discoraged, or something "bright and shiny" comes along. Have Christian friends to encourage you, encourage yourself with speaking the Word of God over your life.

Last edited:

Crown

If you are talking about the common sense as a religious family : yes.
Encouraged : no. For my Dad, there was no need to ask questions, it was a family thing, to perpetuate from generation to generation. My Mom was very open-minded. So not only we can ask questions and discuss, also we visited other churches.

Were you ever agnostic/atheist? If so, how did you come to Christ? No.But I remember having a period of questioning, not about my faith in the existence of God, but about the expression of my faith. I saw confusion everywhere and I wanted a better relationship with Him. But He was so silent (in my understanding). I was immature enough to say : I know You are real but You don’t care of me, so I will not care of you. Despite His silence, I saw His hand protecting me everywhere. One day, I cried and cried, asking Him to forgive me and to really come into my life and I said : I will wait for Your answer. I was really starving and thirsty. And, one day, the revelation started.

I don’t believe in chance. When things are well, I thank God. When things are not well, I say like Job : shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? (2:10). When I am in a period of struggle, I pray God to deliver me; if this continues, I suppose there is something wrong with me, and I pray God to reveal it to me; if this continues, I know it is for the strength of my faith.

Do you believe Christianity is a religion or a relationship? Both.Relationship between me and God.
Not religion as denominations, but religion between me and others and keeping myself unspotted from the world. (Ja. 1:27)

If by questioning you mean proving that something is true of false : no.
For me, the Bible is the Word of God. I read and study the Bible as I would do for my bread : the Bible is my spiritual meal so I need It every day for my soul, as food for my body.

Fair/unfair is a human thing. God is God : Almighty and Sovereign. But I know He is also Righteous and Good and Love, and He is my Father.

I am not sure of what you mean by sexist.
It is written that God created, male and female, as humans.
I know man cannot become pregnant.
I understand the both are important in the eyes of God and for their role/mission.

Luckily / Good luck
He/she is not saved - He/she will go to hell fire.

I don’t knot at doors like JW. No special time, it’s about lifestyle/attitude/words, and people ask me why.

In general, people ask me to explain this or that, how I understand this or that. I was like that in my period of questioning, so I know how to deal with those situations. I don’t push, but I would explain again and again if it is necessary. Sometimes, I think : Praise the Lord he/she understood; but after a few days, the person come again with the same questioning and I will do my best again because it is not my works, but the Holy Spirit.
With other believers, I just share my beliefs and I would not repeat and repeat again.
In some occasions, silence and prayer are the best to do.
I believe the Holy Spirit inspires me the attitudes to have.

I believe the Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit and It is the Word of God, and living.

Pass!
No, I will answer in my way :
If someone is hungry, I will feed him and say thank you Lord in my heart.
After eating, if this person says thank you to me, I will say praise the Lord with my voice.

Do you/have you attended a church that researched Biblical history? No
I do it by myself.

My relationship with God is personal. If I was lost on an island, I would serve/love Him, so…
To maintain my faith, I read and study the Bible, pray (me talking), listening to God (God talking), meditate (questions/answers), sing and praise, share with other believers…

Last edited:

Aviah

Not raised in a Christian home. We were taught to pray at night but didn't go to Church.

I have had agnostic periods within Christ, if I can say that. Times when I was really not sure of God was real. Especially when my family seemed to think I was in a cult or something when I started going to church.

When things are well I do thank God.

Sometimes, it is chance good and bad happen to both saved and unsaved people. God allows a lot of what we have caused through free will. Still, I thank God. When things are not well sometimes I blame my own choices, if they are to blame. I have blamed God before, indirectly I suppose. But seeing the point behind certain struggles a while later I thank Him. However I do NOT plan on going back to those times

Christianity is a religion. Its supposed to be a relationship. How can you follow Christ (meaning of Christian) when you do not know Him personally (or trying to)?

I have questioned the Bible, and have found evidence for those questions so far. Like I mentioned previously the Case for Christ by Lee Strobel answered many of them before they were even thought of.

I sometimes view God as fair, sometimes unfair. Someone going to heaven for repenting two seconds before dying is not fair. Nor is it fair that I am saved after all that I have done. Still, I have limited understanding, and what I deem as unfair, really doesn't stand because I can't see the whole picture, and I am not God. Him being good and having the final say, to me is fair. He made this world and everything in it... it's His. (Hope this makes sense)

In a way, yes. Men being the head of the household by virtue of sex, men being allowed in the old testament to take women as wives from their defeated enemies, men being allowed to have more than one wife etc. Though these are of the old testament and are not the law we follow today (except the men as head of the house) things were still that way. With men leading the home, however I can see how it works, men generally being mad more logical and women usually more emotional. Logic before emotion wins for me but its not always this way. Still with being the leader there's more responsibility, and more accountability. Equally men have to love their wives and givee themselves for her, as Christ gave himself for the Church. That is, literally a man putting his wife before himself. That too in essence is sexist, but somehow it can balance out when done correctly.In the end God doesn't ask from us more than we can give or handle.
Other scriptures in the NT talking about women as preachers I feel must be viewed in context. With many female preachers today, many men and women have been saved, which is not possible without the Spirit of God.

Just have faith. To have faith the way the bible talks about in the NT is to be persuaded. You cannot lie to yourself about being persuaded by past experiences with God etc. Though sometimes, you do have to just go with it.

I witness where possible, and appropriate, sensitively.

Do you feel like when you witness, you are imposing your beliefs on another? How do you filter out when to witness and when not to so that you won't seem 'pushy?' I do not impose God on anyone, I just give them what it is, and let them know. Without demanding that they accept Christ now. After all, they can say that they have to shut me up, but only God really knows their heart. I take more of the "God has all this in store for you if you come to Him (blessings love, protection, etc) if you come to Him, think about it" rather than the "choose now or die" approach which is a real turn off for most. However if the conversation went that way I would tell them this is what the Word says...

Depends on what you are looking for. For the most part I would say no because the revelation I get from the Word, literal or figurative is real up to date when I get it. If you're looking for an answer as to whether the Lottery is gambling, then you won't really find that answer in black and white the Spirit, however can answer anything in any way any time.

Very true. I give them the advice the "secular" way and then let them roll with it. Sometimes I tell them its from God should the "oppurtunity" arise others, not. Jesus said we are to be like yeast, yeast does not always announce it is going to have an impact before it does. Its just does. Jesus did not always being a sentence with thus says the Lord. But if people know you and your standpoint, they may be able to see where your knowledge comes from. Sometimes at least.

Nope, not as a church. The youth group I was a part of delved into that stuff but not extensively.

Remember what God has gotten you out of before. Remember how he works in your life. Its easy to dismiss Christ when we try to put parameters on how we think he should work. No one really bothers me about having faith in God. TBH, its really none of their business to worry about.
I am a Christian because I have seen the way God works in my life. Though this may be subjective, I have found evidence in history, etc to verify Christ. Its about the personal and the empirical. Using the wrong measure for the wrong one will create a nullifiable result. I've seen both.

Last edited:

maxineshaw

No. My mother was raised in a Christian home, but a non-believer (or should I say non-accepter; she is saved now). My father is agnostic (and still so). My father and I tend to think alike which is why he finds it so unbelievable that I have accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior. Anyhow, I remember my father once asking me what I believed, and I told him that I believed that there was life everywhere-in grass, rocks, tress, the air. He told me that my believe was like those of Native Americans. Now I believe that my comment was a reflection of the God being everwhere. I just couldn't recognize that because I didn't know who He is. I was probably 10 when he asked me.

Not really. I'll say this much-presaved me has always feared God, but not in the way that the bible commands you to. I was really afraid of going to hell, and the events in the book of Revelation.

Honestly, I thank God. I know He is the reason for all good things in my life, and if things aren't going the way I want I need to take a "page" from the life of Job.

I believe that Christianity is misconstrued and marketed as a religion, but it's really a personal relationship/walk with God.

Yes, but God always answers my questions. The Holy Spirit is my teacher, and provides me with great understanding of His word.

I'm not sure how to answer the former question. He is what He is-that's how I view Him. As to the latter, yes he is fair. There are things that happen that I don't like, but obviously I approach life with a finite understanding.

No. There are certain things that have happened that make me go all "qu'est-ce que c'est???" because I'm a woman. I don't believe the bible is sexist though. I know some people take issue with the masculine language and have altered the bible to fit their own views. I don't have a problem with that, (the gender, I do have a problem with the alteration) and I do not believe that translates in to sexism.

Nothing comes to mind right now.

Not really. I try and live my life so that people will see Jesus in me, but I've never witnessed to anyone unless they've asked. I am also really a homebody, so that gets in the way of things.

I had to google the definition of antiquated. Now that I know what it means (LOL) my answer is no. I believe most people view it in that fashion to suit their lifestyles. God's word is always relevant to any situation. Now, I can understand some of the laws being antiquated-such as those of sacrifice. They aren't really relevant anymore because Jesus sacrificed Himself for us, thereby making those laws obsolete.

Yes I have, and I just shake it off. People believe what they want to. I don't take it personally, but I do make it known-the issue at hand and it's biblical origins.

No. I don't attend church at all. However, if I knew of a church that researched the bible historically I would attend it. I'm more interested in attending bible study than I am service.

God's forgiveness and His willingness to sacrifice His son for someone whom I deem unworthy of any forgiveness (I am referring to myself)-that is what maintains my faith. I don't know if this makes sense, but it's really the baffling nature of God's love-a love that I will never be able to understand. True, and unblemished love. It's the love that everyone wants but tends to seek in places they will never find. I've yearned for many years to be loved in this way, and I have it. I don't want to let it go. I don't ever want to lose it, and I'm forever thankful that I won't.

I can't stand it when people are dismissive of my relationship with God. It's like they expect to be respected for their non-belief, but don't respect me for my belief in God. I handle it like I've learned to handle it-I don't take it personally. This world is such a lonely place when you walk with the Lord, IMO. It's the road less traveled. I accept that.

****Please add more questions that you deem are worthy of discussing*****[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Guitarhero

As are most Muslims, and most Jews and most Buddhists and ad blech! Most people follow the religion of their parents. AA's aren't slaves now. We'z free. If my mammi and my pappi taught me the love of Christ, then most likely, I'z gonna follow their good example. For the love of God!

What makes Kemet better than Horus or Ra or any of them? Nothing is new under the sun. But all is new under the Son. See, this is a microcosm of up there and there might have been many ways that God spoke to people before the great revelation and the fulfillment of it. And um, christians made it into those slave ships. It's 2,000 years old in Africa. Judaism is older, yes, in Africa.

Certainly, slavery did get an ugly hold on people but I like to view it this way. They had the absolute chance of living out the true faith in the face of their oppressors, who are probably being tormented by demons right now. Nothing wrong with being a christian. And God gave you the choice to be whichever religion you wish to be. He does not force it. I hope you understand. Not mad at ya.

About the church not defending slaves, well, it did. The pope wrote an encyclical about it, condemning it. Quakers were actively anti-slavery and helped tremendously through history. But like anything else, you have politics, parishioners and just plain people. Some folks are stubborn. There's social slavery of Hindus in India, against the Dalit people, the darkest. Muslims supported slavery. It's an ugly fact of mankind. Christ is not to blame. Sometimes we have to separate the system from the faith. That's why it's individual - it's what I do and what I'll answer to.

Last edited:

Bubblingbrownshuga

My replies:

Were you raised in a Christian home? If so, were you encouraged to ask questions? Raised in a Christian home, but not really encouraged to ask questions, about anything matter of fact. It's not that I couldn't ask, but I believe with my family's limited knowledge, they didn't know how to answer. For example, I was mainly responsible for my homework and there generally wasn't any assistance provided from my family. I believe they did the best they could with the sources they had, though.

Were you ever agnostic/atheist? If so, how did you come to Christ? Never agnostic/atheist because I always believed in Jesus Christ as Lord. I accepted Christ when I was 12 in the 7th grade. I always had a desire to please God. As I got older, I developed a relationship with Christ, different from my family's. My family was heavily into a particular denomination, but I didn't agree with it's standards.

Be honest- when things are well in your life, do you thank God or just chalk it up to chance? When things are not well in your life, do you blame God? I thank God when things are going well in my life, but I must admit, I have to remember to thank Him sometime. I can recall a point in my life where I had enough and I blamed God, but deep down inside, I felt bad. There were so many times where I JUST COULDN'T TAKE IT and I did question what was going on with me and why God was allowing things to happen. Instead of me getting so angry with God to the point of questioning His existence and refraining from serving Him, I grew closer to Him. I truely believe by me having faith and trusting in God and His Word, hearing encouraging testimonies from others, seeing the miracles God has/is performed/performing in my life and others lives strengthened me.

Do you believe Christianity is a religion or a relationship? Christianity is a type of religion, but I believe once you really attempt to live the Christian life, it's less of a religion (a set of rules, regulations, legalism) and more of a development of a relationship with Christ

Do you question the Bible? If you do, have you found supporting evidence for your questions? Oh my yes!! The great thing with the Bible though is that many of my questions are answered in the Bible! To me this is enough for some questions, but then I want to dig a bit deeper. One great resource that has been valuable to me has been http://www.gotquestions.org . I like this site because not only do they provide Bibically based answers, they also provide you extra reading material and other sources to back up what they are explaining.

How do you view God? Do you view Him as unfair/fair? When everything's going great, it's easy to view God as fair, but when your prayer isn't answered when you want it, it's easy to view God as unfair. I used to wonder why bad things kept happening to me since I am a Child of the Most High while everyone else who could careless about serving God were being blessed in ways that I desired. I am always comforted by this chapter in the Bible where the psalmist wonders the same thing I did (once again, nothing's new under the sun!) Psalm 73.

Do you view the Bible as sexist? I don't view the Bible as sexist at all. When women were mistreated in the Bible, no where does God condone this behavior. It was the people's doing, not Gods.

What cliches do you refrain from saying? God's delays are not His denial, Judge not least you be judged, etc. I really don't say a lot of cliches and I cringe when I hear them. If they bless someone fine, but I don't want to hear all that. I just smile when someone says this and keep it moving because I know they don't mean any harm at all and are trying to encourage me. I am also getting to the point where common sayings like ‘Good God! ‘ ‘Lord Have Mercy’ ‘Jesus, take the wheel’ are making me cringe. It’s like it’s almost a joke when mentioning the name of the Lord. I have a friends who are Muslim and they don’t understand this behavior. They told me that in Islam, comments like this are unheard of and are considered disrespectful. They uphold their god in great esteem and refuse to say ‘Allah Have Mercy’ or make jokes about the Koran.

Do you witness? If so, how and when? I witness more on here than in real life :look:

Do you feel like when you witness, you are imposing your beliefs on another? How do you filter out when to witness and when not to so that you won't seem 'pushy?' Sometimes, just mentioning Jesus to some is seen as pushy. I give up.

Do you believe the Bible is antiquated? Nope. People want the Bible to be antiquated and I believe it’s because their desires are opposite from what the Bible teaches. That simple.

I notice this sooo much. It’s like that whole phenomenon LOA. LOA is basically adapted from Biblical principles without Bible verses and so many people believe in it. That’s great, I guess, but don’t scrunch up your face when I state Proverbs 18:21 and accuse me of Bible thumping :rolleyes: