Can you grow long hair without weaves/wigs?

MsDes

It seems like most women with hair that is bsl and longer have used weaves/wigs to attain their growth and retain their length. But what I wanna know is, is it possible to grow long healthy hair without all that? I'm just not into the fake hair. If you have grown your hair to BSL or longer without a weave, can you please tell me your reggie? And tell me what you think made you gain/retain your length. Thanks in advance!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
When I first joined, I grew my hair from a ratty NL to almost MBL in about two years without weaves or wigs. I strictly bunned, mostly wet bunned. Wet bunning helps a LOT with retention. :yep:

Tiye

Sure you can. You can do styles like braids or twists (no extensions) - or buns - and use headwraps or hats to "protect" your hair when you need to. It doesn't have to be all about the weaves and wigs.

RocStar

Yes you can.

For me I minimized heat, tried to minimize manipulation and made sure my hair and scalp were clean and moisturized. It took some trial and error for me to get it right.

Curlykale

Yes.
-no heat,
-keeping conditioner and natural beneficial ingredients in my hair (oils, butters, aloe, flax gel) and checking the moisture level daily,
-keeping my hair stretched (air drying and sleeping in braids)
-finger detangling when my hair was longer and a light protein treatment sometimes
- adding moisture and bunning when lazy or not bothered (often).

Louisex3

of course you can! :)
in my experience, using weaves has actually caused setbacks during my healthy hair journey due to stylists weaving too tight etc.
bunning + twists and other protective styles have helped greatly

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I used wigs in the beginning when I was bald, till I got to the TWA phase....and I hated it. I have never felt so fake, and ugly in my life....although that really had more to do with being bald... I loved rocking weaves back in the day, but my hair can't take the stress of being braided and weaved, so I usually see a lot of shedding and damage. Last weave I got was for my wedding, and I kept it in for 2 weeks. When I got it taken out the stylist told me that if I'd have kept it longer, I would have had some serious damage.

So, my long hair growing will be totally sans wig & weave...cause they don't work for me! :spinning:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I started playing around with wigs about 3 years ago, when I wanted bob-length hair without the commitment, but my hair had reached waist length prior to that. So yes, you can achieve long hair goals without wigs and weaves.

CurlsBazillion

I have a question how do you bun short hair ?

Naylah20 I'm a wig person but I don't wear them all the time. I don't cornrow my hair I put four big twists in so when i get home I take that wig off, M&S and put my hair up in a bun or back in those four twists. When my hair wasn't quite sl I kept my hair in like a roll twist but around the perimeter of my head and pin it down like an old school updo kinda. Wish I still had the picture of it because I'm not good at describing styles. I also did two cornrows and clipped the ends up like in this photo when I was sl. Very easily could have been three or four braids but the point was to keep my hair up. I would also bun at home with two or three buns because my hair was too short to do one bun.

Attachments

• user305574_pic105309_1304645898.jpg
    user305574_pic105309_1304645898.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 53

TLC1020

This is exactly how I went from nl to bsl by bunning consistently when I first came to this board.. And also how I am growing my hair out again. It's definitely possible to grow long hair w/o weaves and wigs, there are some ladies who don't protective style at all and have healthy long hair also..

When I first joined, I grew my hair from a ratty NL to almost MBL in about two years without weaves or wigs. I strictly bunned, mostly wet bunned. Wet bunning helps a LOT with retention. :yep:

MystiqueBabe

Yes I have and I am doing it again. I have never worn wigs/weaves. For me, I just don't like fake hair even when I was really young. Not trying to scare anyone but I have read stories and seen with my own eyes personally how damaging weaves/wigs can be.

I just bun to retain length and/or keep my ends moisturized and it's working for me.

Evolving78

yes you can. i am scared of weaves. i will throw on a wig once in awhile if i am lazy and need to look decent at the last minute.

Cichelle

I grew my hair to hip length without once using weaves or wigs. By the time I got to that length I had figured out that less is more. I took basic good care of my hair (kept it clean and conditioned), did not use chemicals and rarely used heat, and kept it "up" most of the time. That's pretty much it. My issue became detangling, which was sometimes taking upwards of three hours. I have locs now, so that problem no longer exists.

LightEyedMami

I agree with shortdub, I usually stay away from weaves, I will wear a wig when i go to the club or out with the hubby,(or if my hair is jacked up :lol:) . Otherwise i wear my hair in twists and it is in much better condition, then my old days when i wore weave consistantly.

belletresse

It seems like most women with hair that is bsl and longer have used weaves/wigs to attain their growth and retain their length. But what I wanna know is, is it possible to grow long healthy hair without all that? I'm just not into the fake hair. If you have grown your hair to BSL or longer without a weave, can you please tell me your reggie? And tell me what you think made you gain/retain your length. Thanks in advance!
You can absolutely grow hair to WL and beyond without relying on wigs and weaves. Check out my album. Although I do baggy at night, I do not use protective styles other than a ponytail. I believe that wigs and weave prevent your scalp pores from getting the oxygen they need.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Weaves always end up setting me back because I either cut out my own hair when taking it down or lose hair beacuse its braided too tight

Mische

Absolutely! I've never worn added hair be it weaves, wigs, or pieces nor do I protective style. It's just not for me, and I'm not going to waste time being miserable with my hair for the sake of retention. I've found that finger detangling, cutting out heat, using protein weekly, stretching relaxers, and moisturizing and sealing daily are enough to retain length for me.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.

Of course you can grow hair down to your toes if you want, all without weaves/wigs.

DC weekly or twice weekly. Protein/moisture balance, and rollersets (not with a dryer, but rollers overnight on dry hair) and keeping it nice and trimed, trim at least every 3 months. Works for me.

Lilmama1011

Heck yes, I have never worn weave nor my sister and when we got our hair was relaxed for the first time it was almost waist length and that's just from my mother braiding my hair every two weeks. But the beautician, well the new ones convinced my mom I needed it cut and I went from there to a little above chin length. But four years later my sis got a relaxer and she got it done by a older lady, she didn't cut my sis hair. That's the diff from old school and the youngins I guess.... Sadly to say my hair never grew back that long again and stuck between shoulder and armpit because I trim too often because obsessed with my ends not being even, even tho I know hair don't grow even smh, but an working in twice a year trims but have to keep my ends out of my visual so I won't grab scissors. Do defiantly can grow without weave!

LovelyLouboutin

I'm maybe 2-3 inches from waist length and I've never worn a wig or weave. I normally co wash every morning and pull my hair into a ponytail/bun.