Can you help me present on natural hair to a Naptural Hair Group?

ellebelle88

I am a part of a Naptural Hair Group for Professionals and Graduate Students at my university (I'm a graduate student). For February, I was asked to give a presentation entitled "The Science of Black Hair" because I know so much about keeping black hair healthy. The ladies in the forum know very little about caring for their natural hair. Originally, we provided them with a list of forums to use as reference but many of them felt overwhelmed and complained that they couldn't understand all of abbreviations and hair-terminology (like prepoo).

So while the presentation isn't until the first week in February, I'm excited so I've already started preparing, however now I feel overwhelmed! It's just so much to cover, especially given that I only have about 30-45 minutes.

My friend who is in molecular biology is doing the more "scientific" side of it so she is pulling from the book called The Science of Black Hair. I'm doing the more forum-based approach, I guess. I'm talking about how to care for hair, what products work best, benefits of oils, which oils penetrate the strands, protective styling, purposes of deep conditioning/protein treatments, prepoos, using seamless combs, ionic flat irons and blowdryers, etc.

Would any of you mind suggesting what are the top things you would want to know about as someone who knows very little about natural hair? I guess, what are the things that changed your hair and started you on a natural, healthy hair journey???

You don't have to go into depth. You can just list them like: benefits of prepooing, understanding about SLS, or staying away from cones. I will probably talk about the things that come up the most! Thanks.

BostonMaria

I'll give you one that has helped me: the benefits of oil treatments

I have dry hair and so sometimes deep conditioning alone is not enough. Once a month I combine coconut oil, olive oil and 1/4 honey in a bowl then put this in the microwave for about 8 seconds to warm it up. I apply it to my hair, put on a plastic cap, and leave it on for an hour. I then rinse it out, cowash, then style as usual. I don't shampoo it out.

I find that if I do this consistently every 4-6 weeks my hair will feel and look fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

VivaMac

ellebelle88, This thread might be of help to you. I know you only have 45 mins, but some of suggestions were on point and could easily be compressed into 45 minutes. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Atdow71

I would discuss the importance of combing your hair properly from ends to root, and even finger detangling.

ellebelle88

I'll give you one that has helped me: the benefits of oil treatments

I have dry hair and so sometimes deep conditioning alone is not enough. Once a month I combine coconut oil, olive oil and 1/4 honey in a bowl then put this in the microwave for about 8 seconds to warm it up. I apply it to my hair, put on a plastic cap, and leave it on for an hour. I then rinse it out, cowash, then style as usual. I don't shampoo it out.
BostonMaria Thank you! I completely forgot to include oil treatments, or using them as prepoos and even adding to deep conditioners. Also, you mention of honey reminds me to include a "natural" way to get get healthy hair by using honey for moisture, eggs for protein, oils for sealing, etc.

ellebelle88, This thread might be of help to you. I know you only have 45 mins, but some of suggestions were on point and could easily be compressed into 45 minutes. Good Luck.
Thanks! Will check it out VivaMac

I would discuss the importance of combing your hair properly from ends to root, and even finger detangling.
Atdow71 I agree, keeping detangled hair is important and finger detangling has totally changed my life. Along with using a seamless comb.

Cover maintaining a good moisture/protein balance in your hair. Its the key to it all.
daydreem2876 Yep, definitely planned on talking about that first and foremost!

BostonMaria

ellebelle88 I use honey, olive oil, coconut milk, eggs, mayonnaise, molasses.... there are so many natural ingredients we can use that are cheap and can be bought at the supermarket.

You can let them know that the oils (grape seed, avocado, jojoba, coconut) can also be bought at the Vitamin shoppe, GNC, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods as well.

Fhrizzball

How hair type isn't really important in the end but it's more about your own hair's porosity, density, and so forth to find the best products and regimen for you.

NaturalEnigma

Topics that can be discussed
-moisturizing and sealing
-importance of trimming ends
-sulfate shampoos and non sulfate shampoos
-the ingredients in conditioners (cones, petroleum, parabens)
-Accepting and loving your natural hair, controlling hair envy. I know some naturals expected their hair to be 3B or 3C before their Big Chop and were surprised that their hair didn't have the curls their favorite youtubers had after transitioning. They also spent a lot of money trying to find products that would make their hair curl. Pictures of women with various hair types would help them see that natural hair comes in all shapes and sizes.

beanie44

1. If you want to wear your hair natural be careful of how often you straighten it, too much heat from straightening combs, hot curlers, blow dryers, and flat irons can cause split ends and the bonds of the natural curl strands to break.

2. Natural hair curls around it self causing (SSK's) Single Strand Knots, to prevent keep hair moisturized, ends trimmed, and hair in straight styles,..ie, braid outs, twist outs, braids, or buns to minimize SSK's.

ellebelle88

Thanks ladies! I think I'm going to do a terminology cheat sheet. I'm realizing that most of them won't know what SSK's are or what it means even when its not abbreviated.

napbella

Please mention "gently handling your hair". I've found most non-hair forum sisters don't know what gentle means. We're so used to raking thru our hair to get rid of a knot that we don't realize how much damage we can do to our tresses. And of course accepting what grows out of your own head:yep:. Good luck!

Oneprettypa

Thanks ladies! I think I'm going to do a terminology cheat sheet. I'm realizing that most of them won't know what SSK's are or what it means even when its not abbreviated.

I was going to suggest this bc I'm very unfamiliar with a lot of this (like SLS in your original post). It can start to sound like a foreign language.

mscocoface

Help the understand this is not only changing the way they do their hair but changing their mindset about their hair.

Rome wasn't built in a day so this is now becoming a lifestyle versus just a fad or a quick fix because of hair damage. They have probably spent years in chemicals so it may take a while to switch their thought process about what their natural hair is like. Just let it grow and discover don't place expectations on it. Just when you figure it out it could very well change on you. This may be similar to what someone else posted.

I applaud you in taking this on. Let us know how it turns out.

JerriBlank

How important it is to know your hair's porosity,and its sensitivity level to proteins. Trial and error is key,and this may take a while to get down pat.
Also,not being ashamed to hide your hair if you feel the need,or to protective style.
people who are not actively into haircare can get annoying with the anti hyh comments, and they should not allow this to discourage them.:yep:

mscocoface

Also, you could have multiple textures or density on your head. For example your hair on the top could be thinner or weaker than the hair on your sides or back. Nothing to be alarmed about just realize we come from diverse backgrounds and our hair may show that.