Can you O.D. on too many vitamins?

GinnyP

Can you take too many vitamins I have been feeling weird lately my tongue broke out, I am taking ultra nourish,Pantothenic acid,primrose oil(stop taking it- it makes me very drowsy and puts me to sleep also I have illusive dreams)cod liver oil,carrot juice,MSM 1000mg,silica, flaxseed oil,zinc, I am feeling extreamly tried with dark circles help me I stop taking everything today to give my body a rest. Has anyone else experience anything similar or maybe I need to take an iron pill-- any suggestions?

deeplyrooted

yes, O.D.'ing on vitamins IS possible. i'm taking GNC ultra mega woman vitamins, BUT the vitamin B-6 in the suggested daily dosage is TOO much according to my doctor. anything over 50mg of b-6 can cause nerve damage. i don't know about the other vitamins, but beware. call your doctor and ASK questions.

AKAngel904

yes, you can reach your UL (upper limit) in vitamins. When this limit is reached, vitamins become toxic and can produce adverse effects. The zinc or MSM is probably what is causing your symptoms.

deeplyrooted

mmm . . . do you know the limit on MSM, AKAngel904 ? ? ? i'm interested in taking it, but i'm scared since i'm pretty ignorant about MSM.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
[ QUOTE ]
AKAngel904 said:
yes, you can reach your UL (upper limit) in vitamins. When this limit is reached, vitamins become toxic and can produce adverse effects. The zinc or MSM is probably what is causing your symptoms.

[/ QUOTE ]

the description of detox symptoms from people taking msm scares me enought to never come near it

bettydavis

I have read that taking too much MSM is like taking too much vit C, once you have absorbed a certain amount, your body will excrete it naturally. But there can be side effects from your body detoxifying from it, such as breakouts, but these symptoms are okay and should go away. I would advise you to take it in small dosages first and slowly build it up. I started taking 1000 mgs a day, and I didn't suffer from any side effects. Now I have gone up to 2000 mgs. So far so good.

ThickNBeautiful

MSM made me nauseous, so I stopped taking it. My HSN vitamin has 750 mg. I just stopped taking the extra 1500mg supplement I was taking.

G

If you are detoxing then you will feel nauseous among other things while taking MSM. I had minor detox symptoms...now I take 2000 mg of MSM without a problem. I like the fact that it removes harmful toxins out of your body.

G

[ QUOTE ]
deeplyrooted said:
anything over 50mg of b-6 can cause nerve damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read this I was alarmed so I did more research on it. All of the sources I found stated that you can take up to 200 mg of Vitamin B6 without side effects like the nerve damage for example. If you are taking a high dosage of Biotin or Pantothenic Acid then you need a more balanced B complex which will contain Vitamin B6. I read that some people take up to 10 g of Biotin..so I hope they are taking enough of the other B vitamins to balance it all out. I'm not taking Vitamin B6 yet..but I wanted to take a B-complex supplement that contains 75 mg of all the B vitamins except Folic Acid and Biotin to balance things out...which was why I decided to do more research on the side effects of Vitamin B6...

deeplyrooted

i feel you Natori24, i read various articles on the 'net too.
BUT, i wasn't completely sure, so i called my doctor to ask her about it. from her own m.d. degree having, residency servin', years of medical practicin' mouth, she told me that i shouldn't take more than 50 mg of b-6 a day or else i could experience these problems. you might want to talk with your doctor who knows your personal health history and solid medical science to figure this one out for real. i wouldn't rely too heavily on internet sources when it comes to your health.
i don't want you to end up
or anything, be careful.

G

Yes, I would talk to my doctor about it..but I do know that alot of doctors don't particulary like their patients to take extra supplements unless it is prescribed by them because they like to keep the local pharmacy in business...and they want to keep you coming back to their office for new prescriptions/refills...not saying your doctor was telling you this just to scare you but like you said she does have a degree in medicine.

deeplyrooted

i feel you.
maybe you can talk to your doctor's support staff ? ? ? a registered nurse should be more than competent to discuss this with you. are you in school so that you can at least stop by and talk by the health center to ask some questions ? ? ? my doctor took down the info for my vitamins and did the research for me and called me right back with the info . . . there should be somebody somewhere that you can get to do this for you that won't try to swindle you. i hope.

P.S. from the info my doctor gave me, i was able to scale down my vitamin usage. instead of taking the 2 gnc ultra mega woman vitamins per day, i take one a day so that i'm well within the vitamin b-6 limits (the suggested dosage is 2 tablets) and i get to continue to take the vitamins i spent over $30 on,

G

Yes, that's true it should be someone who wouldn't try to "swindle" me-lol but that has been my experience in the past..they always find something wrong with you taking extra supplements. I'm like "I took this before"; I'm aware of all the possible side effects of the supplements I take. I don't have any health problems...that would cause trouble. I don't recommend someone with a history of health ailments to start something new without consulting a doctor first.

deeplyrooted

hmmm . . . i feel you. all of those 21 questions are irritating, but i guess it's necessary. i guess. shoot, sometimes, i wanna turn around and ask THEM all about their personal business.
so, how's your kidney function been ? ? ? have you been drinking YOUR 8 glasses of water a day ? ? ?
let me stop.

G

Lol@deeplyrooted. I think I will call a nurse tomorrow...maybe they can tell me some detailed info. without charging me to come in for a check up when I don't need one [I get them at intervals-so its not time for another one]. Thanks for your concern.

PrettyBrownEyes

I only take one multi at a time. What I mean by this is I either take my GNC Ultranourishair vitamins or my One a Day vitamins. Whichever I take I only take the suggested amount.

When you take a complete formula such as the Ultranourishair to ME its not necessary to add more MSM or Biotin since its already in there at a recommended dosage level.

I don't take the GNC Womans Ultra Mega because some of the stuff in it did seem a little to high a dosage in my opinion and when I read the package it didn't fit my lifestyle.

Yes, you can OD. Be careful!

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
jancan7 said:
Can you take too many vitamins I have been feeling weird lately my tongue broke out, I am taking ultra nourish,Pantothenic acid,primrose oil(stop taking it- it makes me very drowsy and puts me to sleep also I have illusive dreams)cod liver oil,carrot juice,MSM 1000mg,silica, flaxseed oil,zinc, I am feeling extreamly tried with dark circles help me I stop taking everything today to give my body a rest. Has anyone else experience anything similar or maybe I need to take an iron pill-- any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I also feel it's best to stop all the vitamins right now and speak first to a doctor, like in the emergency room, just in case. It could be anything. The extreme tiredness, tongue breakout and dark circles sound really serious!

Then I feel a nutritionist can be very helpful when it comes to vitamins. In my experience,doctors know next to nothing about nutrition, just drugs. There are many places like health food stores who have good, professional nutritionists on staff who can give you good advice about the vitamins and the correct dosage and combination of them for your needs.

Off hand, that cod liver oil and carrot juice combo doesn't seem right. Although the vitamin A in the carrot juice converts to a safe dosage of betacarotene, that in combo with the vitamin A in cod liver oil can possibly become toxic.

flyjump00

Jancan7-
Please stop your vitamins! And DO NOT take an iron pill!!!!
You can definately over dose on vitamins as well as herbs. I think you are taking too much. Please see your doctor if you can. I am only a nurse and I can only tell you what I know. Too much iron along with your multi vit. may cause nausea, vomitting, diarrhea, shock, and even coma. I know that I am probably too late b/c I didn't check the site last night. Just give your vit's a rest for a while. And drink plenty of fluids to flush them out!

DigitalRain

If you are taking water soluable vitamens like B-5,biotin Vitamin C, and some others I can't remember, you shouldn't experience any problems because excess of these vitamins are excreted in the urine.

Fat soluable vitamins like Vit A and D, you need to be careful. They are toxic because they build up in the liver. You may want to check with a doc to be sure.

adrienne0914

what digitalrain said about water- vs. fat-soluable vitamins is true. there's a big difference between the two kinds. it's almost impossible to OD on the amount of water soluable vitamins that most of us here take. i like to say, "if we're taking too much, we probably have the most expensive pee on the net!"

the problem that i have with some doctors is that they don't know much about vitamins. so they'll tell you what the RDA is, but they themselves have done little research. vitamins aren't considered to be a part of "traditional" medicine in this country. it's funny because so many of them are quick to hand out medicine with known side effects without batting an eye. i'm not saying to not seek medical advice. i'm just saying to also ask your doctor what kind of research they've done on vitamins.

i rely on my online research moreso than anything else. it usually takes alot for me to even add another vitamin to my regime. my experience with them has been pretty positive. i've been taking basically the same ones for over two years without any problems.

i think the most important things to remember when taking vitamins are:

• do your own research no matter what you read on the board. some vitamins may interfere with medicines you may be taking. some may aggravate medical conditions. some shouldn't be taken when pregnant, etc. so check based on your own personal health. ya know?

• to introduce them to your system one at a time to see how your body will react. i like to give it at least two weeks before adding something else. if it doesn't agree with you, you should know within that amount of time, if not sooner.

if you want to try vitamins again, DEFINITELY stop taking them all for a while until your system gets back to normal. then start again one at a time so you can identify which is the culprit.

good luck!

GinnyP

Heys guys sorry I post something yesterday can't find it, I am feeling better today, not taking anymore vitamins I think it was a combination of this sample the lady gave me in the health food store I complained of triedness she gave me a pack of "Daily Energy Enfusion" without knowing of my regime of all my other vitamins I should known better I put the drink in a mix of fruit juice with a multi vitamin had energy for 6hrs and CRASH!! felt like I was dying and looked like I was I took a vitamin C and had plenty of water and went to bed felt better the next day I need to flush all this stuff out of me--I love the carrot juice but I am holding off for a while. Thanks for all your SUPPORT and advice LOVE YOU GUYS(lol)after lurking for weeks and joining I really look up to all of you. Oh by the way that stuff Daily Energy Enfusion I noticed I had so much claity and could remember things but it made me so sick. Thanks!!!

Isis

I'm really glad you're feeling better Jancan7. You had me worried there for a moment! You may still want to go and get checked out though.

GinnyP

I know Iris, you just don't know how much better I feel! whew, I won't do that again. I know about MSM I would drink alot of water afterwards, but drinking the carrot juice, I think I was drinking about 8 oz a day or more, plus all the vitamins and If I read something on the board I would go out and buy it and try it I KNOW BETTER NOW!! Thank you for your concern whew. Also laughter is the best medicine I rented Something got To Give w Jack N. & Diane K it is so funny!! Oh well, have a great weekend and thanks!!!

YuNg

the only side effect i had with msm was the trimedica brand gave me headaches. But the upper limit for zinc is 100mg. the flax is probably making you tired. then again i dont know.