CAN YOU/SHOULD YOU TAMPER WITH HAIR PRODUCTS?

bravenewgirl87

There are certain times when i want to up the anty on my products and i have the ingenious idea to mix certain oils or natural ingredients into my shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, etc. I have mixed jojoba oil, carrot oil, amla oil and other oils to my cholesterol or ORS Replenshing Pak and have had success (mostly with ORS replenshing Pak). But can you/should you do this with anything and everything? What if i wanted to add shea butter or cocoa butter to my shampoo, Will i comprise it or make it better? Will it make my hair too greasy/ not mix with indgredients/ etc. ?Have any of you ever mixed up products to meet your needs? Or even mixed two different brands of product to make "SUPER PRODUCT"?

I do it all the time, especially with my conditioners. I remember reading some where that it's sometimes hard to find one product to do absolutely everything you need at one time, so mixing is good instead of trying to layer products on top of each other.

I add honey and oil to my conditioner all the time. I don't add it directly to the bottle. I warm the honey and oil in a little bowl in the microwave and then pour the conditioner into the bowl.

I usually don't mix different brands together, but more than once I've had just a little left in my Alterna bottle and a little left of my Humectress. I mixed them together with no bed results at all.

Sometimes in the winter if my hair has been exposed to the cold or strong winds I'll melt a little hemp seed butter or pure mango butter in my double boiler and add honey to it, then I'll add conditioner and deep condition that way. Silky hair every time!

I'm a haircare novice, so I personally wouldn't mix anything. Although I don't see the problem with adding natural oils with conditioners and stuff.

Don't be afraid to add stuff to your shampoo. I started mixing up Vo5 Conditioner , water and Sap Moss shampoo in an applicator bottle then using this mix to shampoo my hair after I read about this technique on the THLC (The Long Hair Community). It is a wonderful gentle way to clean my hair without the damage that regular or even mild shampoos can cause. I now only use undiluted shampoo when I'm clarifying.:D

bravenewgirl87 said:
How do you dilute something? is that what distilled water for?

To dilute something, just add something to it that has a lighter consistency. For example, I dilute my shampoo with just regular water and shampoo with just basically the lather. I mix oil with some of my cholesterols to make them smooth through the hair easier.

I add water to dilute my poo and oil and honey to my deep con every single time. I also mix bottled water, glycerine and con for my daily moisturiser.:D

Back