CAN'T BELIEVE I Did It!!! (PICS!!!)

la mosca

After months of deliberation, debate, and (finally) study, I took the plunge and self-relaxed for the first time! I have always had my touch-up done at the salon, but I decided I was ready to take control of my hair’s destiny. I used the Alter Ego Linange lye relaxer system, which worked beautifully – it neither over-processed nor under-processed my hair.

I have to tell you, I was so incredibly nervous! I prepared my previously relaxed hair the night before by applying a layer of Neutral Protein Filler, a layer of Living Proof No Frizz leave-in conditioner, a layer of coconut oil, and a layer of shine serum.

On relaxer day, I laid out everything that I needed (and more): relaxer, neutralizing conditioner, neutralizing “color alarm” shampoo (not from the Linange line), conditioning hair mask, tint brush, comb, duckbill hair clips, butterfly hair clips, shower caps, a digital timer, a large hand mirror, and jumbo end papers (hey, you never know).

Oh, and this:

(In case you’re wondering, it’s ginger ale.)

When I had just finished setting up for the big event, my DH returned home from a business dinner:

DH: (Giving my setup the side-eye) “I’d better go out and grab a drink.”

Me: “Why?”

DH: “Because I don’t want to be here when your hair falls out.”

I divided my hair into four sections. I based my edges and applied a very thin layer of petroleum jelly to my previously relaxed hair. Then I clipped up three of the four sections and got to work.

I rinsed, neutralized, and conditioned the two back sections (simultaneously) first. Then I did the front left, and finally, the front right section.

By the time I was done, it was really late, so I airdried in a bun. A couple of days later, I decided to “do” my hair. I started by shampooing and applying a Sebastian Cellophanes rinse in Pearl Blonde (which is essentially a slightly violet-tinted clear rinse that neutralizes brassy tones).

Then I shampooed again and conditioned with VS So Sexy. Then I roller-set my hair.

Finally, I flat-ironed with my trusty T3.

So far, my hair feels great, and I have zero breakage. I will be monitoring its condition closely, of course. I hope this means the end of my dependence on stylists.

I really want to thank LHCF for making this possible. Since I joined the board, I’ve gone from this

to this

and I’ve had a great time along the way!

Last edited:

msa

Great progress!!

I'm glad you had such a successful self-relaxing experience.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Thank you for this Post. I attempted to Self-Relax for the 1st time in March With the Linange Shea Butter Relaxer as well and I was soooooo Scared it came out Underprocessed because 1) I didn't use enough Relaxer and 2) I didn't leave it on long enough. And I was afraid, even though I had everything in place.

I am planning my 2nd Big Debut Memorial Day Weekend, so your post was a God-Send. Thank you.

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
Your hair looks great! After I get my relaxer done in June, I'm going to attempt relaxing myself! Hopefully I have good results just like you did..

la mosca

Great progress!!

I'm glad you had such a successful self-relaxing experience.

Thanks, msa!

Thank you for this Post. I attempted to Self-Relax for the 1st time in March With the Linange Shea Butter Relaxer as well and I was soooooo Scared it came out Underprocessed because 1) I didn't use enough Relaxer and 2) I didn't leave it on long enough. And I was afraid, even though I had everything in place.

I am planning my 2nd Big Debut Memorial Day Weekend, so your post was a God-Send. Thank you.

I'm glad this was helpful!

Congratulations, on successfully relaxing your hair. It looks great.

Thanks, Nice Lady!

Your hair looks great! After I get my relaxer done in June, I'm going to attempt relaxing myself! Hopefully I have good results just like you did..

It will be wonderful!

Awesome progress! And beautiful hair color.

Thanks, Muffin!

Very lovely! I love the color!!

Thanks, Danigurl!

wow, great progress over the years! You did a great job and I love your hair colour.

Thanks, hairedity!

PreciousPearl

You did an excellent job! Your post was inspiring. I have been thinking about self relaxing for months and haven't quite gained the courage to take the plunge. I too would like to take control and be DIYer. Thanks for sharing.

tenderheaded

Fabulous job! You put the pros to shame. You've gained length and thickness. I see many self relaxers in your future:yep:

ajacks

Wow, it looks great! Looks like you did a good job with the relaxer. Love that hair color.

luckiestdestiny

After months of deliberation, debate, and (finally) study, I took the plunge and self-relaxed for the first time! I have always had my touch-up done at the salon, but I decided I was ready to take control of my hair’s destiny. I used the Alter Ego Linange lye relaxer system, which worked beautifully – it neither over-processed nor under-processed my hair.

I have to tell you, I was so incredibly nervous! I prepared my previously relaxed hair the night before by applying a layer of Neutral Protein Filler, a layer of Living Proof No Frizz leave-in conditioner, a layer of coconut oil, and a layer of shine serum.

On relaxer day, I laid out everything that I needed (and more): relaxer, neutralizing conditioner, neutralizing “color alarm” shampoo (not from the Linange line), conditioning hair mask, tint brush, comb, duckbill hair clips, butterfly hair clips, shower caps, a digital timer, a large hand mirror, and jumbo end papers (hey, you never know).

Oh, and this:

(In case you’re wondering, it’s ginger ale.)

When I had just finished setting up for the big event, my DH returned home from a business dinner:

DH: (Giving my setup the side-eye) “I’d better go out and grab a drink.”

Me: “Why?”

DH: “Because I don’t want to be here when your hair falls out.”

I divided my hair into four sections. I based my edges and applied a very thin layer of petroleum jelly to my previously relaxed hair. Then I clipped up three of the four sections and got to work.

I rinsed, neutralized, and conditioned the two back sections (simultaneously) first. Then I did the front left, and finally, the front right section.

By the time I was done, it was really late, so I airdried in a bun. A couple of days later, I decided to “do” my hair. I started by shampooing and applying a Sebastian Cellophanes rinse in Pearl Blonde (which is essentially a slightly violet-tinted clear rinse that neutralizes brassy tones).

Then I shampooed again and conditioned with VS So Sexy. Then I roller-set my hair.

Finally, I flat-ironed with my trusty T3.

So far, my hair feels great, and I have zero breakage. I will be monitoring its condition closely, of course. I hope this means the end of my dependence of stylists.

I really want to thank LHCF for making this possible. Since I joined the board, I’ve gone from this

to this

and I’ve had a great time along the way!

Your hair is really pretty and you have great progress! I am happy that you took control of your hair destiny.