caring for 3 year old's hair

kayla2000

caring for 3 year old\'s hair

Hello,

I am having a dilemna with my daughter's hair. She is a 3 yr old with 3c/4a/b hair that is long, if she wore a bra it would be almost brastrap length, as it continues to grow it is getting thicker. I noticied that it she had dry split ends that are scraggley too. I gave her trim last week, but more needs to be trimmed. The major amount of split ends are in the back of her head. I don't really need to cut all of it but if I don't it will be uneven. Should I just cut about an inch off all over & start fresh or should I do moisturizing treatments as an alternative?

I don't put heat on it, except to blowdry occasionally. I use elasta qp coconut oil recovery, b&b oil moisturizer, keep it in braids or twists, wash every 2 weeks. She hates to have it combed or washed. I'm not sure how her ends got so dry & split. Maybe I'm not moisturizing enough. I don't want to manipulate it too much, any suggestions? I feel so dense when it comes to haircare.

Armyqt

Re: caring for 3 year old\'s hair

I like to use the following on my daughter's hair:

CON Shampoo
Pantene Smooth and SLeek Conditioner
Unrefined coconut oil
S-Curl

The above combo works very well at keeping her hair nice and moist. Everytime I redo her hair, I spray more s-curl. It keeps her hair very soft and moisturized. Also, I always use the Jilbere shower comb on her. I only use a regular size comb for making parts. If her ends continue to be dry, try putting vaseline on the length of her hair, but not on the scalp. hth

jainygirl

in addition to the good advice Armyqt has already given, if you're not doing it already, it's never too early for her to start wearing a satin bonnet or scarf to bed. I know you said alot of the split ends are towards the back, this may be due to her hair rubbing against her pillow at night.
--HTH --jainygirl

sterry

My daughters one with type 2 and the other 3a do well with conditioning washes and as little products as possible.
I would definetly suggest that you trim the dry ends form your daughter's hair. Allowing them to stay makes her comb out even harder and may cause knots at the end of her hair.
If you don't want to remove 1 to 2 inches all at once then have the beautician trim enough to remove some of the frizz and then 2 weeks later do the same.
I use a water bottle with jojoba oil and Africa's Best Ultimate oil, and avocado oil. I spritz on hair at night and comb through. I really focus on the ends. I then pull hair straight back and with about 14 non catching rubber bands I apply down the length of the ponytail about 1 inch apart. I then secure a satin scarf around the entire length of ponytail only. In the moringing I remove rubberbands and have none tangles soft and wavy hair.
One product to try for softening and defrizzing hair is John Frieda's Glistening Creme for coarse hair. It contain Jojoba oil and does a wonderfull job of smoothing and defrizzing hair. It really smoothes down the cuticle of the hair.
Normally what I do is give my daughter's hair "TCP" That is the Two Conditioning Pucnch. It really knocks out all of their hair woes.
First I use Optimums Stay Strong on hair for 6 mins. Rinse with cool water then John Fried's Frizz Ease Glistening Creme for coarse hair. I use this for 10 mins. If you blow dry her hair you will see a world of difference after using this product.
If hair is extremely dry then try Regis Hydrating Balm. This too is the ultimate conditioner. I use this every weakend on my eldest daughtter's hair under a hooded dryer. (type 3a) I can't say enough about this conditioner it is like silk.!!!
Also check your both moisturizer that you use. I found that when I used this type of products in my daughter's hair it really dried it out. Do they contain mineral oil.

shinyblackhair

Although I'm not one to promote unecessary trimming, that would be my advice to you. I'm going through the same thing with my 7 yo daughter's hair and I will be trimming it (about an inch) on her next wash day.

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
in addition to the good advice Armyqt has already given, if you're not doing it already, it's never too early for her to start wearing a satin bonnet or scarf to bed. I know you said alot of the split ends are towards the back, this may be due to her hair rubbing against her pillow at night.
--HTH --jainygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea jainygirl, I forgot to mention that

kayla2000

Thanks Armygt, Jainygirl, Sterry and Shinyblackhair for the suggestions. I think I am going to follow the suggestion to trim the rest of the split ends, it will grow back. I am also going to try covering her ponytail with a satin scarf - she will not sleep in bonnets, we tried that already.
I think I will purchase some jojoba oil & look into getting some africa's best ulitmate oil. I'm looking forward to tackling this problem & preventing it from occuring again. Thanks again.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
kayla2000 said:
Thanks Armygt, Jainygirl, Sterry and Shinyblackhair for the suggestions. I think I am going to follow the suggestion to trim the rest of the split ends, it will grow back. I am also going to try covering her ponytail with a satin scarf - she will not sleep in bonnets, we tried that already.
I think I will purchase some jojoba oil & look into getting some africa's best ulitmate oil. I'm looking forward to tackling this problem & preventing it from occuring again. Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

in fact get a satin pillow case as well just in case the scarf comes off her ponytail...

sterry

When you wrap the scarf around the ponytail first tie it around the top of ponytail. Then continue to wrap around the length of the ponytail.
You may also want to use a few more rubberbands to secure it.

KinksnCurlz

Excellent thread, thanks ladies. I recently trimmed my daughter's ends and she was pissed
. She saw her little hair on the floor and asked me "y u cut my hair!!" In any event, i went out and got the S-curl, Coconut Oil (grease), African's Best Oil and an olive oil deep conditioner. Again, thanks ladies.

GodMadeMePretty

When my daughter was 3 she didn't want nut'n on her head at night. Now she's all about hair and makes sure something is on her head. Her satin scarf just comes off so I put that on and then put on some of her tights on top of that. She thinks that is so cool, but the scarf does stay on.

My daughter's ends were dry and crunchy, but not split. The only stylist that I've ever taken her to for her very first deep condition wanted to trim them, but I said no. She would have had to blow-dry it and I didn't want that in her head. Now that I've been deep conditioning it on a weekly basis, her ends are not like that anymore. I started using different products than I was using. Now I use UBH moisturizer or curl activator or water and essential oil. Very minimal. I haven't really done anything about the frizz, but I'll get to that. Right now the frizz is working for her. I think it's very cute, her and her natural hair.

I also like the idea of putting a scarf on the ponytail. I'm going to try that.