Caring for Human hair braids?

sweetdaises2000

Does anyone know how to care for human hair braids? I'm currently in kanekalon and thinking of changing to human next time I get my hair braided. Should I use the same regime as I used with kanekalon braids or shoud I make some changes?
My Regime=
Condition wash with Suave or VO5 and follow with Motions CPR or Africa's Best hair mayonnaise every couple of washes( sometimes I just suave but leave it on longer) 2x/wk followed with oiling using Clove and Olive Oil from Africa's Best
Mist with water and or Dark and Lovely Citrus braid and Sheen spray the days I dont condition wash.
Any suggestions or changes?

Nonie

Sweetdaisies, I wear human hair extensions and I don't do anything different from what I'd do with synthetic hair. (Actually, it's been ages since I wore synthetic so I don't remember much, so don't quote me on that.) But I basically treat my braids the way I'd treat my hair if it were out, long and relaxed (I say relaxed coz I doubt my natural afro would be acting anything like my braids. You know, the toss thang, and the bun thang...
). I don't use braid spray, but that's just ME coz I am used to having nothing on my hair. Dew (and now S-Curl occasionally, esp of the day after I wash) are all I spray on my hair. And I wash and deep-condition twice a week, preceding the wash with an overnight oil treatment under a plastic cap. I use anti-frizz (L'Oreal) after my wash. (Oh and lately, I have made wrapping my ends (I can see where my hair ends) in Saran wrap every night a ritual). I believe this is the same regimen I'd follow if my hair was out and relaxed.

So unless anyone else disagrees, I think you can continue with the same regimen you use now. Just be extra gentle with human hair coz if the braids aren't firmly put in, (or if you got a very slippery kind) they do slip out easily, especially when new or after a wash, and can get pretty messy in a hurry.

BlackButterflyz

Don't waste the pretty...
Hey Sweetdaisies,
I don't know what size/type braids you are planning on getting but currently I have my semi-micro braids done with human hair(they aren't really micros because i have the patience and attention span of a 6 year old
). Anyways, this is how I care for them:

*Every week I wash them with Cream of Nature for Dry/Brittle hair. I dilute this about half and half with water and put in a spray bottle.
1.Before I wash I put my braids in about eight ponytails. Don't place the rubberbands/holders near your scalp but closer towards where the actual braiding ends.(If you are not going to get the hair braided all the way to the end, this is a very important step as it will prevent them from unravelling and slipping out while you wash)
...Have you ever seen random pieces of hair lying around in the street and you wonder to yourself
"how the hell did that wind up there?".... well that will be YOUR braids in the street, slipping out at the most inopportune times if you skip this step.

2. I wash each section seperately leaving the ponytails in. Don't mess with the braids too much just try to massage the scalp really well. (Don't forget to move the ponytail holder up a little bit so that you can rinse out any soap that is trapped underneath)
3. Sometimes I put some conditioner (Aphogee Moisture Balancing) on the length only. Many people say that conditioner isn't really necessary because it will cause build up near the base of the braid. But I put it on the length only...mainly out of habit.
4. Then I put my Beter Braids Spray-white bottle with purple writing (this stuff is great! It's basically water, glycerine and preservatives)
5. i also take a shower comb and comb the ends...(yeah I know you're thinking a comb and braids don't mix, but my ends are loose and this keeps them from drying all tangled up.
I also wouldn't recommend washing everyday because unless you somehow found the secret to gaining ten extra hours in your day, you don't want to go to sleep with a wet head of human hair briads...your hair will be a matted tangled mess (speaking from experience
)
6. Once my hair is semi dry I add a little oils (Hot Six Oil is my favorite all-in-one if your not feeling like an ambitious scientist
)
7. Even with all these steps I find that a few will still unravel and maybe slip out...But I know how to braid my own hair so I ususally just rebraid any that slip-- Or you can get ghetto and pray that it's a braid in the middle that slipped out and maybe nobody will notice
...believe me, I am not above doing this

HTH
BlackButterflyz

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
Or you can get ghetto and pray that it's a braid in the middle that slipped out and maybe nobody will notice ...believe me, I am not above doing this

[/ QUOTE ]
You too?

Nonie

Yep you can curl the ends. Just try to keep the curling iron away from your hair if you can, which is why longer extensions than your hair are a good idea. You can even do braid-outs. If you do two neat french braids on either side of your head, you can wear that style for a day allowing your hair to dry like that and then next day wear your hair down all wavy.
Then when you want it back straight, just wash or wet it. That's what I like about human hair in singles; you can do so much with them.

A

anks

yes that's basically what i do but i also use s-curl for moisturizing and evoo for oiling my scalp.