Caring for Swimmers Hair???

beana3

my lil sis has been assigned to a swimming class everyday for the next few months. I care for here hair and i'm worrying about how i'm going to go about washing and conditioning her hair if she gets it wet 5 of 7 days of the week.
She has a relaxer whch she gets retouched about every 3 or 4 months. I wash her hair every week and deep condition it with either Motions moisture plus or ORS hair mayo. and she usually dries it in a roller set under a dryer.

I dont think it makes any sense for me to wash her hair everyweek if she gets it wet everyday anyway. I was thinking about giving her some tropical brand milk and honey condit and telling her to rinse her hair well then apply it for 5 mins (she has 10mins to get dressed for her next class) and rinse out. How does this sound?? I was thinking of keeping with her weekly washes and having her cornrow her hair and still doing the above regime.
Is anyone familiar with some haircare options for frequent swimmers?

Armyqt

Beana, I'm not really familiar with swimmers hair routines, but off the top of my head I would suggest she rinse her hair in the shower, then apply some good conditioner (such as pantene smooth and sleek) and leave it in until the next day and repeat the process. You can continue with the once a week roller sets as usual. Chlorine is very drying and damaging to the hair, so that's why I'm recommending that she leave the conditioner in for added moisture and protection. I know there are some swimmers shampoos out there she can use, but I don't know what brands they are. Maybe someone else will add some more info here. HTH

beana3

thanks for the links and advice ladies... her hair is already really dry and she never really had a problem with dryness. Her highlights look very "ravaged" and i'm thinking that she may need some hot oil treatments to boost her hair moisture retention.
.. Gee i feel like im a professional stylist or soemthing... /images/graemlins/wink.gif...

UmSumayyah

Don't swim much meself but read in a fitness mag that its a good idea to wet your hair before getting in the pool. Since the hair shaft will already have absorbed plain water, it will absorb less of the chlorinated water, resulting in less damage to the hair.
I have also read recommendations to apply conditioner to hair in addition to using a swim cap. Same principle--get something else in the hair to prevent it from soaking up the chlorine.