Professional/Hard Core Swimmers needed

tmhuggiebear

Hi everyone,

I need your help with something. I am a new writer for the website mysalonscoop.com and I've been assigned a story about swimming and healthy hair practices. I need to interview one or two swimmers about their hair care practices as it applies to swimming such as products that work against chlorine, swim cap usage etc.

The interview will most likely be over the phone. If you are interested and would like to help me out feel free to private message me or email me at [email protected]. Also, feel free to leave any tips or suggestions as it applies to swimming in this post. Thanks!

loolalooh

I'm not a pro or hard core, but swim from time to time. If no one else responds, let me know and I'll submit my answers.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I swim 2-3x a week (Fri-Sun) and my hair is lye-relaxed. My hair is currently NL.

I put EVCO oil on my hair the day night before. I swim in the early evening so the oil had a chance to sit for over 14 hours. Before my swim I wet my hair for a good minute and then I apply more EVCO especially ON THE ENDS.

I wear a cap always, not to prevent my hair from getting wet but to prevent water drag and my hair from getting in my way.

After done swimming I remove my cap under running water while taking care not to rip my hair hair line off. I rinse my hair for a minute of so and I use a seperate towel from the one I dry my body with. I wait a few min. to allow the excess water to get absorbed then apply more Evco and then Avocado oil. I apply this oil because EVCO makes my hair hard (after ot drys) when applied to wet hair and the Avocado oil helps keep my hair soft once it drys. Both of these oils have the affinity to prevent protein loss in the hair.

I don't wash my hair until the last day of swimming for the weekend which is eithier Saturday or Sunday. I sometimes use Paul Mitchell Clarifying (one wash,let it sit for 5 min) followed up with a BS wash (let it sit for 5 min) to rid my hair of the of the Dimethicone that is in the shampoo. Other times I just use my BS wash and follow this up with whatever conditioner I have scheduled which is usually a mild protein conditioner. I am not a every week deep conditioner, at most I do one once a month.

Last edited:

swimfan09

I am a former swimmer, but I also snorkel (I am almost a diver). I love swimming, just have been too busy lately. I do more swimming in the summertime. My hair is relaxed and almost APL.

I don't wear a cap because I find that it does not prevent water from getting to my hair. What I do try to do is wet my hair first, so that not much chlorine gets to my hair and then then I will put it up in a bun.

As soon as I can,(as soon as I get out of the pool or can get to a shower). I will wash with a clarifying shampoo - one specifically designed to remove chlorine and salt (since I ocean swim) and then deep condition and apply an oil sealer. That is pretty much my routine.

Getting the chlorine out of your hair is CRITICAL - I have been able to maintain length while swimming by doing this. Years ago when I didn't do this, my hair would stay short and damaged.

jasminea

I am not a professional swimmer, but do have an in-ground pool in my back yard and swim regularly. I have lye relaxed APL hair.

I do not have a set swimming schedule, but just do it whenever the mood strikes (2-3 times/week). I never use a swimming cap because it pulls on my hair too much. Personally I do better with using a shower cap since I don't have to worry about what I look like since I am just in my own back yard.

Pre-swim hair regimine: I coat my hair strands with a moisturizing conditioner (AO Honeysuckle Rose, NTG conditioner, humetress, etc) cover with shower cap and hop in pool. I omit shower cap if I am going to do more than play in pool since it will come off if I dunk my head repeatedly in water. Once done, I shampoo my hair. I use Ion's anti-clorine shampoo which is fantastic at removing deposits. It does not dry my hair out, but I still follow it with another moisturizing rinse out conditioner. Airdry and style in braid-out or airdried flexi-rod set (which are my styles of choice during swim season).

I use glossers with sunscreen in them in summer to prevent the chlorine and UV rays from lightening my hair color. My hair is naturally medium brown, but will turn brassy if I omit this step.

I relax every 12 weeks. Normally I do not use shampoo with every wash, but when swimming I use the anti-chlorine after every swim. I've found if I don't my hair will get rock hard from the deposits. The pre-shampoo conditioner helps prevent the shampoo from stripping the hair and the rinse out conditioner gives great slip. Airdrying limits heat damage and split ends.

Hope this helps