Catholic: Private Revelations, Apparitions

auparavant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29f69elBzvs

Questions to ask about private revelations in testing them:

1. Does it agree entirely with the revealed and defined catholic faith?

2. Does it lead us to the center of our faith where whih is where holy scripture is and sacred trad...and where the pop and bishops are

3. Does it lead us to obey the popes and the bishops?

Negative signs:

1. Leads you to disobey the pope and the bishops

2. Says if you don't believe, you are not a christian, not a good catholic

Does the apparition lead you to read the words of the seer but you ignore the gospel, catechism and documents of the popes?

Jesus told the apostles: Anyone who listens to you, listens to me, any who rejects you, rejects me. And those who reject me, reject the One who sent me.

Cardinal Arinze says, "my pilgrimmage is the gospels..." Jerusalem is our pilgrimmage as well as it's the place where our faith begins.

Keen

I didn't click on all the links. Can't get to youtube right now. I'm sure private revelations happen. The Vatican will not be able to verify everything. We still should be careful in what we believe.

Galadriel

I think Cardinal Arinze is correct in that we always need to put apparitions in proper perspective. It's true that some people (wrongly) elevate them above Scripture, Tradition and the Magisterium.

Also, I like what he said about going to Mass and partaking of Eucharist as a miracle and experience in and of itself.

BTW, does anyone know if there's been a final decision on Medjugorje (sp?) and Garabandal?

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member

Oh he makes so much sense and Cardinal Arinze made it so simple to understand. I'm so glad I saw this and clicked on the link. Thank you, Auparavant.

I mean for someone to say, I don't agree with abortion, but it's okay for others... the comparison he made was remarkable. It's definitely food for beyond thought, it's the truth. :yep:

Begoody

Well this is timely because I finished reading "The boy who met Jesus: Segatashya of Kibeho", by Immaculee Ilibagiza. I had been indecisive for months as to whether to buy it, simply because the apparition is not Vatican approved ( unlike Our Lady of Kibeho,which is the only Vatican approved apparition in Africa...where our Lady warned 3 schoolgirls about the Rwandan genocide that came to pass years later.)
Having read it, I left with a positive impression,even though I scratched my head a few times at the incredulity of it all. I have never been on pilgrimage,but I know for sure that I will not be going to Medjugorje any time soon. I watched a documentary years ago by Michael Palin on it, it wasn't done from a religious angle and was balanced and fair...but I just had a verrrry uneasy feeling about it's authenticity. Last year, my Parish priest in London was telling me he went there. We have a very friendly relationship so I jokingly told him off and said "Dom. Bernard, you let me down! Medjugorje is fake", and he said that he never planned to go but was pestered by a group of parishioners for years,so he finally succumbed . He said that having returned, he was still on the fence about it..however he pointed out that all he saw was thousands giving devotion to God so at
least some good was happening.
Thanks for posting the Cardinal Arinze links, he cracks me up,when he starts talking he reminds me of so many of my older uncles, typical Ibo man..must speak his mind!

auparavant

He's very funny :lol:

But what he said makes so much sense.

I smile and get so tickled when he speaks cuz it's like he's on the verge of cracking a joke all the time. He reminds me of all those other great Nigerian priests we had at another parish.

Garabandal and Medjugorje...I don't know and only know about Lourdes and Zeitoun, Egypt. There are so many of them now, even here in PA and you have to be so very careful. Wasn't Bayside rejected?

@Begoody, I think Zeitoun was approved by Pope Paul VI in 1968 as visitations of the Blessed Mother, approved by the local Catholic Patriarch Stephanous I and Pope Kyrillos VI of the Coptic Church.

(I wished that Arinze had made Pope)

Last edited:

Belle Du Jour

I think Cardinal Arinze is correct in that we always need to put apparitions in proper perspective. It's true that some people (wrongly) elevate them above Scripture, Tradition and the Magisterium.

Also, I like what he said about going to Mass and partaking of Eucharist as a miracle and experience in and of itself.

BTW, does anyone know if there's been a final decision on Medjugorje (sp?) and Garabandal?

I was just reading about the apparitions at Medjugorje.
http://medjugorje.org/olmpage.htm

I've only read some of it and I don't know what to make of it.