Certain Supplements Causing Hives

Shawn

Well, I think I've overdone it. Last week, I stepped up my supplement program and was taking some 20 supplements per day. I was taking all "the usual suspects" for hair (MSM, B-Complex, Biotin, Silica, L-Cysteine, flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil) in addition to several other vitamins and minerals (e.g., Great Hair, regular multi-vit, A, C, D, E,iron, zinc, etc.). This morning, I woke up to hives itching in several places. I'm thinking it was last week's vitamin overload that's done it to me. I know several people have experienced some acne from Biotin or MSM, but has anyone else experienced hives from a vitamin regimen? If so, what did you determine to be the cause?

As matters now stand, I have cut back to 5 supplements: Great Hair, MSM, L-Cysteine, C, and E. I've eliminated 15 other factors and will see what happens this week.

Please share your experiences with adverse reactions to supplements. Thanks in advance.

patience

Sounds like you've overdosed! Go to a doctor, NOW!!!! Did you even seek counseling from a physician BEFORE you started taking all of those? Trying to grow long hair is one thing, overdosing is something ENTIRELY different. There IS such a thing as TOO much!

Angelicus

A very long time ago I took a Niacin pill which gave me the most horrible reaction. All i could do my scream and cry, my body felt like it was burning all over. I also hyperventilated, not a good experience.

I honestly don't see how you could take all of those pills
how fast does your hair grow in a month from taking all that stuff?

alliyah4eva203

anky that is a natural reaction from niacin. some people can't bear it so there are also flush free versions of the pill

Healthb4Length

like the other ladies said, I think that you are overdosing. Please see a doctor, taking too many vitamins can be toxic and in some cases deadly. When I first started many hair forums I used to take about 15-20 vitamins per day thinking that they would speed things up. Well my hair did grow but things started to get weird. Taking MSM I found I was getting this strange white halo around my hair line and it was noticeable and thick (gross) it freaked me out and when I ended taking MSM I cleared up right away. Please be careful of over doing the vitamins.

Angelicus

Yes yes! I only wish that I knew that two years ago when I took the pill. I am happy that I found hair sites that help me with supplement information for overall health. thank you all. are there any other people taking more than 5 supplements a day?

Shawn

[ QUOTE ]
anky said:I honestly don't see how you could take all of those pills
how fast does your hair grow in a month from taking all that stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was spreading out the pills over the course of the day--only taking 2-3 at a time. I only did it for one week, so I am unable to judge whether they had any impact on the hair growth.

Shawn

Thanks to everyone for their concern and input so far. I feel right foolish about this little situation.

patience

[ QUOTE ]
Shawn said:
Thanks to everyone for their concern and input so far. I feel right foolish about this little situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're learning. However, I would STRONGLY suggest that you NOT do this again. A multivitamin should be fine. Too many vitamins/supplements CAN and WILL kill you.