Checked for tracks!

sareca

I was wearing a wash n' go and my cousin raked her fingernails up and down my scalp checkin' for tracks. :huh: I just smiled and said when have you ever known me to wear tracks. I was so proud. :) That's my second LHCF milestone. The first was when a co-worker thought I was wearing a hairpiece or wig after six months of bunning.

P.S. I'm not knocking tracks. I've just never tried.

aileendq

Good for you! That your cousin assumed you had tracks means that you were very successful in your six months of bunning!

Your siggy verifies it!

HERicane10

What a compliment! Cuz we all "know" black folks can't grow hair that looks as "flawless" as that good ol BSS hair!:lachen:

keluric

That happened to me in church when I wore my hair straight. A childhood friend of mine definitely had her fingers all in my nape. I wanted to be mad but I was in the house of the Lord so...

ashiah

Checking for tracks is one the rudest things anyone could do. This happened to me a few times back in high school. One time it happened to me while I was waiting in line at the cafeteria. When I turned around she said, "Oh, you have nice hair." :mad:

Another time I was at church singing in the choir and the girl behind me ran her fingers through my hair while we were performing! Now this time I did have a track (on the advice of my stylist since my hair was thinning as it grew longer). The girl had sharp nails that got caught on the track and forced my head back. It hurt. I was pissed, but I was in church, so...

WomanlyCharm

Um hmm, you done made it girl! :lol:
With your gorgeous hair, people can't resist the track check!
You know how mad they get when they find out it's all yours! :lachen:

Radianthealth

I flat ironed my hair today and styled it...My Husband thought I put weave in my hair. Mind you a fall is my protective style but my hair is now longer than the fall. My husband had to check to be sure that I wasn't wearing a weave.

I was too amused. Thanks LHCF!!!!!!:D

I would consider it flattery from close friends and family, but I would be too pissed if someone I did not know ran their dirty hands through my hair!!!

keluric

ashiah said:
Checking for tracks is one the rudest things anyone could do. This happened to me a few times back in high school. One time it happened to me while I was waiting in line at the cafeteria. When I turned around she said, "Oh, you have nice hair." :mad:

Another time I was at church singing in the choir and the girl behind me ran her fingers through my hair while we were performing! Now this time I did have a track (on the advice of my stylist since my hair was thinning as it grew longer). The girl had sharp nails that got caught on the track and forced my head back. It hurt. I was pissed, but I was in church, so...

I love how we ended our stories the same way.. "I was in church, so..." :lachen:

navsegda

For some reason, the whole "is that your real hair?" question had ALWAYS annoyed me until I was complaining about it to someone once and she told me she gets it too and said she takes it as a compliment because that means your hair looks really nice. It's sad, though that a lot of black women (oddly enough, I've NEVER been asked this dumb question by anyone of another race) are still under the misconception that if you have long hair, you must have a weave. People should not believe the garbage that black women cannot have long, beautiful hair. They need to pull their heads outta their butts and come to this board.

Last edited:

SherryLove

sareca said:
I was wearing a wash n' go and my cousin raked her fingernails up and down my scalp checkin' for tracks. :huh: I just smiled and said when have you ever known me to wear tracks. I was so proud. :) That's my second LHCF milestone. The first was when a co-worker thought I was wearing a hairpiece or wig after six months of bunning.

P.S. I'm not knocking tracks. I've just never tried.

yes, sareca, this here is the ultimate compliment....smile.....and it makes it so much funnier when a family member does it...about two years ago,i wore my hair out to a family party.. and my uncle squooze my head, feeling for tracks....and this man has only been knowing me to have a head full of hair all of my life..go figure......i just smiled and took it as the ultimate compliment that my hair looked very healthy and was growing nicely.

ohsosuzy

I guess it is a compliment of sorts. I get it from time to time too. I can deal with someone asking but I just don't like when people start randomly massaging my head looking for tracks. Thats just a little creepy. It sends chills down my spine.

Iluvsmuhgrass

lol I love this board and all a ya'll!!!

So many beautiful heads of hair at soooo many different types and lengths. :D (YAY!)

It's funny.... before I got my hair cut (getting rid of thin ends) my mom and my sister were like um....:look: is that your hair? It looks good and all.... :look: is it? And when I said yeah it is they started asking me about what I've learned here! I am soooo thankful for this board.

Sareca girl........... how bout you've still got me wanting to try henna.... but my skin's so sensitive I'm afraid to. :( I digress.

Beautiful ladies. Just beautiful! :)

tenderheaded

Oh no, it's gonna take at least a nice dinner and a movie before you get to massage my scalp:lol: I still wonder "why does it matter"? A few years ago I had a white co worker who saw me without my wig and SWORE it was weave, even after I showed her my scalp. Go figure, there are a lot of people who think we're all bald! I would love to know exactly how some of these people REALLY feel when they find out it's real:)

sareca

:lachen: :lachen: Ya'll are so crazy.

I took it as a compliment, but you never know. It's definitely creepy to have anybody walk up and start rubbin' your scalp. I was talking to somebody else at the time. She didn't even say hello first. I didn't know who was rubbin' on me. To top it all, these are my people and they still thought it was... how'd you say it chayil? unbeweavable. :lachen:

wheezy807

I would love to be checked for tracks! Of course if they asked me first. I'm always getting the "is that your real hair", but never actually been checked for tracks. Once i wore my hair down and a coworker asked me "is that you own hair?" And i'm like........"Yeah?" And she replied, "I mean your OWN,OWN,OWN hair?" I said,"YEAH:look: " I was thinking to myself does 3 owns make it my real hair?:lol: Then once another coworker(mexican) ask me was my hair real. I wore my hair rodded. She wanted to touch my hair so i said sure. She touched it and said,"Wow it's soft". And she told the other mexican girl,"touch her hair it's soft, i thought i was gonna be hard". I was standing there like.........:look: OK? But i think its somewhat flattering. But i have yet to be checked for tracks, i think that's when your doing something right!

Iluvsmuhgrass

:lol: @ Wheezy! hehehe I could picture the :look: hahahahahaha.

The smooth ones know how to pull off a weave check without it being obvious. I had that happen once when a S.O. ran his fingers all over my scalp. He'd been paying me compliments on my hair all day (larger flexi-rods) and I just thought he REALLY liked my hair. So while we're relaxing with my head on his chest, his hands start probing my scalp ALL over. Back to front, side to side, all up in my crown.... I didn't even notice him staring at my hair until the last minute. :lol: Yeah, I'm slow sometimes.

Royal Glory

That is funny! What a compliment though! That means people notice the difference in your hair and the progress of all your hard work. Keep it up.

It is rude to touch without asking, but people usually mean well. I guess it depends on who it is...family, friend, close co-worker.

I can't wait for my track check...or...uh...maybe I can. :look:

A quick aside: I have a rambunctious church member who puts her hands all in ladies faces...squeezing their cheeks! Smearing makeup, etc! :nono: Goodness! People try not to get "in the flesh", but many have spoken to her "in love." :lol: