Chemotherapy and Relaxing Hair

babygurl969

Hi guys,
I was diagnosed a few months ago with colon cancer. I have been going through chemotherapy treatments regularly. One of the side effects of the medication is hair loss. I have not experienced any side effects from the chemotherapy. Thank you God! At this point I haven't had a relaxer in 7 months. My hair is getting so un-manageable. My question is do you think it would harm my hair to do a retouch at this time?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Mestiza

I am so sorry that you are having to endure that.

My cousin and her father had colon cancer and had chemotherapy, but didn't lose any of their hair, which was natural.

I will keep you in my prayers, babygurl969.

Last edited:

Mestiza

I hope that someone else who has experience w/ that, or knows someone who has, will be able to help you. Maybe you could flat iron your hair.

Sasha Fierce

God bless you Babygurl969 and I am happy to hear such a wonderful report concerning your treatment!!! I'm sorry that I have absolutely no experience in this area but it sounds like it may be a little safer (hair-wise) to hold off on chemical treatments until you have been off your therapy for a while. Maybe you could consider a rollerset then blowout until you feel comfortable relaxing. I wish you the best :)

ToyToy

I'm really sorry to hear about your illness, but grateful that you are not experiencing the side effects that chemotherapy brings with it!! Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice on relaxing and chemo, but maybe some transitioners can offer advice on maintaining your hair as it is, as they would probably have the same concerns/issues as you in terms of working with two textures. And once you are much healthier or once your treatment stops you could always go back to relaxing!

Either way, my heart goes out to you, and I pray that you will recover fully as if nothing ever happened!!! Much love :)!

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I'm sorry that you're going through this illness. At this point in time, I find it wise that maybe you should just hold off on relaxing until after your treatment is over. I can understand that your hair may be becoming a bit unmanageable, but just hold out on the touch-up and concentrate on getting your health better. Do you have anyone near you that could put some cornrows in your hair (with added hair or not)? You could also just put your hair into a bun. HTH.

Aalize

I hope that you get well soon.

I can't see any good from relaxing your hair while you're receiving treatment. Have you considered braiding or other forms of protective styling to tide you over?

Softresses

BabyGirl, I am sorry to hear you are going through so much. However the advise not to relax is on point. Not that it would hurt your hair, but that there would be the chance that the chemicals could get on your skin. Are you going to any radiations treatments too? People who do are advised to use no harsh chemicals or lotions on their skin.

It is really good advise to find a gentle braider to do your hair for you until you are finished and for a litttle while afterwards until your body gets back stronger. Chemotherapy kills the fast growing cells in the body, so unfortunately that means that depending on the agent used that means hair loss for some.

I pray that all goes well with your treatment and that you fully recover.
(with healthy hair too,)

Softresses

DeepBluSea

I say don't relax. Although you are not losing hair, the drugs in the chemotherapy could still be affecting your hair follicles. I would look for the threads on stretching relaxers or transitioning for advice on dealing with the new growth. God bless you.

longhairluva

When my mom went through this she was advised not to relax. You don't want the chemo interacting with the chemicals in the relaxer anyone. I think it is a blessing you haven't lost your hair. Get some braids or something. The relaxer will weaken your strands. I pray for you. I know chemo is tough.

Z-kitty

Hi,

I am a newbie when it comes to hair but I am well versed when it comes to oncology therapies. I work in clinical trials research and I am currently working on several different drugs. If you know the chemo you are on I can let you know what to expect. BTW, you should not relax your hair until chemo is completed. Feel free to PM me or email at [email protected] if you have questions.

Arcadian

babygurl969 said:
Hi guys,
I was diagnosed a few months ago with colon cancer. I have been going through chemotherapy treatments regularly. One of the side effects of the medication is hair loss. I have not experienced any side effects from the chemotherapy. Thank you God! At this point I haven't had a relaxer in 7 months. My hair is getting so un-manageable. My question is do you think it would harm my hair to do a retouch at this time?

Thanks so much for any advice.

I've been where you are, I had 8 months of chemo first go round. I hope and pray you do not have that long to go. Depending on your dose schedule and what you're on, you may not experience hair loss.

Its not in your best interest to relax at this point. Not only for your hair, but your skin. My skin became really ultra sensitive on chemo, heck I shaved my head after a while (it was falling out anyway). I was also advised to NOT relax...I did it at the very beginning of my chemo I wish I hadn't.

It got to a point where I couldn't even use bounce drier sheets because my skin was so crazy sensitve. I would get salt burns in my mouth from salt even.You're going to find all kinds of stuff affecting you adversly, and the cleaner you can keep your environment (hair, skin, etc) the better for you.

So please please PLEASE don't do it. You stand too great of a chance of doing serious damage and cooking your scalp.

-A

VirtuousGal

Well I say do whatever you want while you have your hair. In the case that you loose it, at least you can enjoy it for now and then look forward to the recoup after the rest of the treatment is completed. IF you dont loose the hair, thats even better. Keep your head up and God is blessing you right now! ;)

Softresses

Arcadian said:
I've been where you are, I had 8 months of chemo first go round. I hope and pray you do not have that long to go. Depending on your dose schedule and what you're on, you may not experience hair loss.

Its not in your best interest to relax at this point. Not only for your hair, but your skin. My skin became really ultra sensitive on chemo, heck I shaved my head after a while (it was falling out anyway). I was also advised to NOT relax...I did it at the very beginning of my chemo I wish I hadn't.

It got to a point where I couldn't even use bounce drier sheets because my skin was so crazy sensitve. I would get salt burns in my mouth from salt even.You're going to find all kinds of stuff affecting you adversly, and the cleaner you can keep your environment (hair, skin, etc) the better for you.

So please please PLEASE don't do it. You stand too great of a chance of doing serious damage and cooking your scalp.

-A

Terrific advice, I hope you are doing well yourself.

Softresses

SignatureBeauty

I send you my prayers! My mom also had Brain & Lung Cancer and she had Relaxed but the Chemical Reaction burned her hair out and now on her sides & edges they will not grow back, she is in remission and has since then kept her hair Natural and short, But if she even look at a chemical is starts to fall out, I would wait until it is all over!

babygurl969

Thank you ladies for all the love and support. I just love you guys so much. I will take your advice and not do a touch up right now. I will just pull out the old pressing comb and get to those un-ruly roots for now. Please keep me in your prayers.

Babygurl969:)