Chicago: Taking Back Our Black Hair Industry Community Open House On Sunday 3/19/17

Harina

ebonysweetie

This is still in collaboration with Chinese manufacturers? I wish we could cut them out altogether but I know it's virtually impossible. They're in every industry.

Harina

This is still in collaboration with Chinese manufacturers? I wish we could cut them out altogether but I know it's virtually impossible. They're in every industry.

Yep. Until you have a black manufacturing base, this is how it's going to be and more than likely that black manufacturing will be based in Africa due to Chinese investment. This is what Western corporations enabled. Right now it is almost impossible to avoid Chinese manufacturers.

But just think of all the Korean store owners who send their children to college and put down fat down payments with BSS earnings. There's money and opportunity here. Owning a business isn't for everybody but for the people who are interested, this is a great opportunity.

Last edited:

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
Factories in Africa....how about starting SMALL and employing Black Americans? Sure, they have many resources but FAIR TRADE. I dunno how he's going to get around that bank redlining that still occurs despite people saying it's something of the past. Pool money, go to Black banks...start small.

And there IS a difference between Black possibility and Asian possibility. That's not possible without Europeans/Americans promoting and passing legislation to favor them. Look at the Korean wig industry. There is something we can all do but there is no single, simplistic solution. He raises good points about how they prey on the community, though.

So, manufacturing base...how about Black communities, maybe in the South? How about the Caribbean? Maybe every Black family ought have some kinda of small family business as a side job? How are Black people fairing on Etsy? Any stats on that? Hair is big $$ big diversify? How about investing in the rebuilding of Louisiana? It's still messed up, esp. after these floods...more than people realize. Build to support other businesses like Circle groceries. Compounding pharmacy?

What about programs for small business for minorities? Do people still flock to those? I remember being a kid/teen and seeing that that was a very popular program. Are we now taking advantage of that or are these small business "free" programs still around? We have SOOO many good ideas about products and services. Black people are amazing in tech, naturally. We have to get over this idea that we don't provide good service..

Last edited: