Christianity = being a hermit?

Glib Gurl

So, a friend of mine gave me this book and the general premise seems to be that unless you are glorifying God, you are wasting your life. Now as a general matter, I totally get it. It is very easy to spend all of your time focusing on earthly things that you end up at the end of your life having not lived for God. At the same time, though, this type of thinking makes me feel like you can't "do you" and still live for God.

Any thoughts on how to be a Christian without being a hermit? :perplexed

kayte

There's a conflict mainly because I suspect you need to figure out exactly what it means to live for God ....not as TITLE ONE CHRISTIAN
but what does it mean... for you.... to live for God beyond a theoretical premise.....it sound like all that's done has distanced or alienated you or provided some stereotypical composite of what Christianity means to substantiate this misconception to live in the light of God means there is no opportunity... to be ....or to be you
for me my relationship with GOd has made me..more of me than Iwould have done for myself

I don't hear personal relationship or intimacy as much as I hear concepts ...the hermit idea ...is not realistic :)..even in Christian culture of today..leaders... pastors and singers and rock singers and poets and actors ..families.... etc etc who ..openly love God and are in community with each other as well as universally ..and not residing in..hermitages
It's ALL about spreading the WORD...whatever or however..it's makes the most sense for one spiritually..the way you do that may not look the same as the way I do that

I dunno..can you conceptualize God as a relationship? IMHO you have be willing to be in intimacy with God.. and also begin to cultivate in your heart ....a living faith. That's been my journey...
So rather than only focusing on ""living for God""" ..you may do well to learn to seek God as you would seek maybe an earthly friend or man you care very much for or at least want to know more about. Ask God
If you are sincere.... God will meet you more than half way in ways you never thought of and it will become a love relationship

you can't "do you" and still live for God.
wellll......try actually living life without God....
and then come back and contemplate that statement

this song byJoni Mitchell
You don't know what you've got till it's gone
they paved paradise and put up a parking lot

to me ..that's what substituting earthy life for God ..that's what it sounds like you are thinking
it doesn't mean to not enjoy those gifts because they were created for us by God ...as long as they don't become your God

Jesus's intent
The thief comes only to steal, and kill, and destroy; I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly” (John 10:10). ...

My radical suggestion? Forget the book...for now and begin reading some of the praise reports on this board.....and in the bible
Song of Songs in the bible is great
I am black and beautful oh daughters of Jerusalem
and Proverbs 31 starting with verse 10

metamorfhosis

Ever since I can remember, I have always believed in JESUS, even before I was officially saved. I have always tried to live my life the right way. So, not much has changed in my life since I became saved. I don't fornicate anymore (for many, many, many years). However, I am closer to GOD now. And it's awesome.

I had a friend who told me that living for GOD was just too hard. It's not that hard to me. Either you are going to do right or you are going to do wrong. My ex-friend said that he didn't want to live a godly life. And that's why he has a lust problem among others.

I am not a hermit. I try to be well-rounded. And keeping up or "watching" current events unfold is awesome.

Just because you are a Christian doesn't mean that you have to be on your knees as soon as you get off work singing, "Holy, holy, holy" for hours. You can live a well-rounded life doing such things as: going to church, going to bible study, shopping, going to the spa, going to a play, attending community programs, attending seminars, working out, volunteering, joining a committee, belonging to a professional group, treating yourself to a manicure/pedicure, finding a hobby, getting into debates with others (friends or others on the internet), keeping up with current events, going out to dinner and a movie with a friend or spouse, going to a game, getting involved with your political party, whew!!!! AND MUCH MORE.

:woot: