Chronic heat user needs help trying to reform...

Marie_Star

sort of.

I like to wear my natural hair in straight styles so normally I blow dry my hair then flat iron either every week or every other week. So, new year, blah blah blah I thought I'd try cut some of the heat out see if I could get some growth retention.

So, what do you think is the best air drying method to get the hair stretched with the least kinks before flat ironing (besides rollersetting, I'm no good at that)?

Also, do you set the hair straight after you've washed it, if not how many % dry would you say til you wait?

TIA

longhairlover

maybe do a rollerset, and after the rollerset flat iron the roots only,
then saran wrap to smooth the hair out, this is what i've been doing. OR blowdry on a cooler setting then saran wrap, when I round brush my whole head on a cooler setting then saran wrap my hair comes out sleek but with more body.

the hooded dryer heat is indirect and not as damaging as blowdryer heat and the flat iron forget about it.

I set my hair wet, my hair doesn't like to be airdried for some reason.

I use to blowdry weekly and flat iron, and my hair was fine but out of nowhere my ends turned on me, maybe because of using a cheap dryer/flat iron. but now I just rollerset and I think my hair is thanking me for the switch up.

hth.

Marie_Star

maybe do a rollerset, and after the rollerset flat iron the roots only,
then saran wrap to smooth the hair out, this is what i've been doing. OR blowdry on a cooler setting then saran wrap, when I round brush my whole head on a cooler setting then saran wrap my hair comes out sleek but with more body.

the hooded dryer heat is indirect and not as damaging as blowdryer heat and the flat iron forget about it.

I set my hair wet, my hair doesn't like to be airdried for some reason.

I use to blowdry weekly and flat iron, and my hair was fine but out of nowhere my ends turned on me, maybe because of using a cheap dryer/flat iron. but now I just rollerset and I think my hair is thanking me for the switch up.

hth.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I've always blow dried and always had slightly dry ends which is part of the reason I want to try something new. I really can't roller set to save my life at the moment though :sad:

MsButterfli

last weekend i washed and air dried using my curlformers, it helped stretch my hair and the curls came out nice, and i flat ironed the next day. i havent mastered rollersetting with the reg magnetic rollers yet but i think im gonna keep doin this :)

Kimbosheart

Stop the heat!!!

I was like you, and I even had a thread about it too. I'm natural but I prefer a straight style. I would blow dry and flat iron. The first 3 months of last year I experienced mega growth from the egg shake and chlorella but I couldn't keep the length and ended up getting almost 4 inches trimmed off between february and june. I would be BSB if I could've kept those inches. At the end of july I got a BKT and decided to rollerset. Because I was traveling I couldn't keep up with my egg shake, chlorella or vitamins. I retained crazy length making it from just past SL to APL in about four months. Now I'm still rollersetting, I only flat-iron the roots and I'm going to make myself be good with the vitamins and exercise so hopefully I'll make it to MBL.

But if you're going to use all that heat be sure to seriously DC and moisturize your ends and hairline daily if not multiple times throughout the day.

just food for thought, no matter if you're natural or relaxed, 1A or 4C your hair is not supposed to undergo the trauma of high heat and either a comb attachment or a brush ripping through it multiple times on a regular basis. Either element on its own is bad, either the blowdryer or combing/brushing it straight.

Marie_Star

Stop the heat!!!

I was like you, and I even had a thread about it too. I'm natural but I prefer a straight style. I would blow dry and flat iron. The first 3 months of last year I experienced mega growth from the egg shake and chlorella but I couldn't keep the length and ended up getting almost 4 inches trimmed off between february and june. I would be BSB if I could've kept those inches. At the end of july I got a BKT and decided to rollerset. Because I was traveling I couldn't keep up with my egg shake, chlorella or vitamins. I retained crazy length making it from just past SL to APL in about four months. Now I'm still rollersetting, I only flat-iron the roots and I'm going to make myself be good with the vitamins and exercise so hopefully I'll make it to MBL.

But if you're going to use all that heat be sure to seriously DC and moisturize your ends and hairline daily if not multiple times throughout the day.

just food for thought, no matter if you're natural or relaxed, 1A or 4C your hair is not supposed to undergo the trauma of high heat and either a comb attachment or a brush ripping through it multiple times on a regular basis. Either element on its own is bad, either the blowdryer or combing/brushing it straight.

Wow, it sounds so much worse when someone else writes it down :nono:

last weekend i washed and air dried using my curlformers, it helped stretch my hair and the curls came out nice, and i flat ironed the next day. i havent mastered rollersetting with the reg magnetic rollers yet but i think im gonna keep doin this :)

I might look into curlformers, at the moment I only have the magnetic which really don't work for me. Roughly how many do you use?

Thank you both! (at the moment myblow dryer is in the cupboard and I'm air drying in some flat twists, I'll see how it goes)

Sade'

Stop the heat!!!

Kimbo what is in your egg shake besides eggs??

Kimbosheart

Kimbo what is in your egg shake besides eggs??

It changes, because I don't really like milk but I try to stick to the same base ingriedients.

Base:
*1 raw egg
2 TBS raw wheat germ
2 TBS wheat germ oil
*1/4 tsp msm powder
silica
*6-10g Chlorella
*3 TBS amino fuel
*3 TBS ACV
*1 TBS Carlson's finest fish oil

Optional:
milk
green goodness drink
*super c drink
super greens powder
chai protein powder

* what I'm currently mixing now

Nya33

I agree with everything posted above. When i was natural. I used to airdry in 4 buns then flat iron. If blow drying i would use lowest setting for heat but high speed.