Help getting over my heat phobia....

LadyKaypnyc

I am a Paranoid Schizophrenic when it comes to using direct heat on my hair...:weird: The thought of blow drying, flat ironing freaks me out.

Ok, I'm exaggerating :giggle:

Despite all of the great tips I've learned on this site to prevent heat damage, I still can't bring myself to flat iron or blow dry b/c I'm afraid of what it might do to my precious tresses.

When I was relaxed, I used to abuse my hair with heat. I would rollerset, then flat iron, sound fine right?

:nono:

I would do this every week, w/o using heat protectants and the flat iron was CRANKED UP TO THE HIGHEST SETTING. My hair was long, but it was thin.

Anyhoo, now that I'm natural, I want to learn how to be comfortable with using direct heat once in a while, but every time I even attempt to do a small section, I bug out and immediately wash to make sure my curls are still intact.

I just needed to get this out of my system. Any advice would be apprecited...TIA!

santwon

I guess I would read some of Neith's threads and Artemis' recent thread about people being afraid to use heat. And some general searches. I've heard/seen different things like testing toilet paper/end papers, making sure to use heat protectant, not using oil...stuff like that.

(not to call a few people out - those were just the first names that came to my head)

santwon

^^ Haha, agreed! I was like wow, how'd ladykaypnyc read that WHILE i was typing cuz that was SURE quick.

naturalgurl

I feel you girl. I have created a phobia too. I used to use curling irons and flat irons on hair that had been hair sprayed the day before. Now I'm very concerned with damaging my hair with heat. I plan to flat iron in October when my personal challenge is up but I'm a little anxious about it. I plan on doing a massive research on heat protectants and which ones protect the most. I'd hate to have come all of this way just to fry my hair with heat.