Coconut Oil and Relaxed Hair

A.Marie

I keep reading the raving reviews on coconut oil. It works exceptionally well on my DD's hair, however, she is natural. When I tried it on my hair one night, wrapped it, and went to bed, I woke up to greasy, stringy hair.:wallbash: So please tell me, what should I do to achieve great results with coconut oil. Should I only use it as a pre-poo? Am I using too much? Normally, I wear my hair straight, slightly bent at the ends. :yep:

guudhair

Sounds like you are using too much...I usually mix it with DC...about 1 teaspoon at the most

ceebee3

I only use for hot oil treatments or to seal. I use very little enough to coat my fingertips when I'm wearing a straight hair style.

Ladybelle

it works wonders for me, for stretching. It tames/softens the new growth. I wrap it at night w/coconut oil to achieve beautiful results- my hair doesn't get stringy or anything in fact, I love the results I get. In addition to the protein treatments, it also helps to stop shedding in it's tracks for me. I also use it as a hot oil treatment.

I guess coconut oil doesn't work for everybody in the same ways, I know I couldn't stretch without it!

ajoyfuljoy

I use it on my braidouts. That with Silicon mix leave in gives me the silkiest, softest, bounciest braidouts! You don't have to use a lot. Just use a tiny bit for styling. That is when the magic happens :)

Miss*Tress

When I was transitioning, coconut oil worked beautifully on the new growth - left it feeling silky and looking shiny. However, it made the relaxed ends feel dryish and slightly hard. I know other women who have had a similar experience to mine.

LushLox

You really have to be lighthanded with it. I use it to seal my ends sometimes and I always wake up to very soft hair. I also use a dab as a finishing product to give my buns polish. It's a great versatile oil.

theprototype

I use it on wet hair after applying my leave-in conditioner. I also use it after moisturizing my braidout/flexi rod sets.

LaToya28

I use it on my braidouts and the shine is amazing! If you're wearing your hair out I would only use a very small amount.

hiphoprocker

Love love love coconut oil.. use it to seal and massage into my scalp.. leaves my hair super soft.. can be a tad greasy but i know my hair is kinda porous and sucks up whatever i put on. so by the morning its mostly absorbed. i wonder if porosity would have an effect on the results...