Color Gurus - Please chime in

kandyland

This may be a dumb question but

What exactly does "does not lighten hair mean"?
I'm trying to color my hair using all natural hair colors
but all of them say, "it <font color="blue">COLORS </font> your hair, conditions, moisturizes, etc, etc, etc..."
Then further down it'll say "does not lighten hair"
huh.gif

Does that mean, it doesn't lighten it...permanently, just
coats it with color, temporarily....

Does it mean, it can't take my color from black to brown no
matter how long I leave it on.

I've tried two natural colorers..copper henna and beautifully natural by clairol in honey brown, not even a tint or highlight was left behind after I washed it out

suggestions...Please help

It means it will not take your hair above the level in which it currently in, but can darken it. You can't go from black to brown, but from brown to black.
smile.gif

You need something with peroxide to go lighter, and even then, you may need a boost with the peroxide, depending on how many levels you want to go and how resistant your hair is to color.

I concur.
grin.gif

I just wanted to add that conversely, if you don't want to use peroxide/bleach, you can't go lighter. No rinse, no semiperm will take you lighter. Not even one. A DEMI-perm could BRIGHTEN the hair a shade (maybe two but that's pushing it) and you would most likely have had to have NEVER used color before.
frown.gif

Man....I guess I have no choice but to give up on my color dreams....My 1st permanent color...hair broke, my fault....My 2nd permanent color, I did everything right, deep condition, no daily heat, hot oil treatments, my hair still broke off. I'm guessing my hair just can't hold color. What exactly is demi-perm?

I found the answer to my own question. Another question has anyone ever heard of lightening your hair with Lemons? Is it damaging to your hair?

Hair Lightening Recipe

1/3 Cup Water

3 Tablespoons Fresh Camomile Flowers

3 Tablespoons Fresh Calendula Flowers

Juice from 3 Lemons

Broad-brimmed Straw Hat, an old or inexpensive one that you don't mind cutting.

Bring the water to a boil. Pour boiling water over the herbs. Steep for 20 minutes.

Strain, reserve the liquid and add lemon juice. Mix well.

Decant into a spray bottle.

Use this spray on a sunny day for the best results.

If your hair is short the hat will not be necessary. If you have long hair, cut out the top of the hat. Pull your hair through the top of the hat, letting it spill down over the hat's brim.

Spray lemon mix to dampen hair thoroughly. Sit in sun. The longer you stay in the sun the lighter your hair will get. Stay out at least 1/2 up to 4 hours. As your hair dries, repeat the spray. This spray tends to dry out hair, so use a conditioner after this treatment.

Makes 1-2 treatments

Once again I've found the answer to my own question...
drunk.gif

Q: I’ve heard lemon juice can be used to lighten hair. Is this true?
A: Regardless, lemon juice should not be used as a substitute for hair color. It breaks down the hair shaft; literally resulting in a split hair shaft, not just split ends.

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
Yikes!
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exaaaaactly....scratching Lemons off the list
wallbash.gif

Back to the drawing board......

Back