Coloring your hair

so so chic

I colored my hair at home about a month ago and I hate it. I really regret ever doing it, but I want my hair back jet black but I don't want to do any more damage to my hair than I've already possibly done. My question is, how damaging would it be to go to a salon (I'm thinking an Aveda salon) and get it colored again. Also, I've noticed that my hair is shedding much more than it usually does and this has me very nervous. What should I do?

Lynnerie

If you color your hair again too soon, thats going to damage it whether its professionally done or not. I don't know if you're relaxed or natural but a permanent dye is still a chemical. I would give my hair a rest if I were you and get braids or a weave. Are you shedding or is it breakage? Be sure and read Sistaslick's post about moisture and protein. But if you want your hair to be healthy I would wait. We can't just be throwin dyes in our hair like its nothing. I hope your able to come to a decision.

baglady215

You could probably rinse it jet black. That would not be damaging, but you will have to apply the rinse maybe once a month, depending on how often you wash your hair. I would avoid more permanent color though.

Country gal

baglady215 said:
You could probably rinse it jet black. That would not be damaging, but you will have to apply the rinse maybe once a month, depending on how often you wash your hair. I would avoid more permanent color though.

I would just use a rinse for now. Speak to a stylist to get their suggestion.

atlien11

I am trying to find a black rinse without all those crazy PPD chemicals in it. I was hoping aveda would be a healthier alternative. So So Chic...let us know how it turns out if you end up going.

aquarian1252004

I agree with all the ladies who suggested using a black rinse. This is why I am so afraid to color my hair even though I am REALLY tempted to especially since summer is coming. Anywho, AVEDA's coloring is supposed to be like 97-99% natural or something like that. So when the time comes when your hair is ready for another chemical process I would say that is probably your best bet. You should call for a consultation though and see what they say.

so so chic

Thank all of you ladies...I am natural, so this is the only chemical in my hair. If I get a black rinse, should I do it at home or can Aveda do it, or would it not matter being that it's just a rinse. Also, if I were to do it at home, what kind of rinse should I get?
BTW my hair is mostly shedding right now. When I comb it long strands are just coming out.

I went to the aveda website and I see that they have a color treatment called full spectrum deposit-only color treatment that is 99% natural. What do you all think about this...would it be as good as a rinse, or do you think that it would still be too damaging?

Last edited:

beyondcute

Rinses dont stay and when it starts to fade you hair will look dark green. Ive seen it happen (my mother). I think you should just grow the color out and use this as a lesson learned. More color (especially permanent) is very drying. It has to penetrate the hair shaft which means there are agents in the dye to open the shaft up. Do you really want to risk that?

I did the same thing and after careful consideration Im just growing it out. No biggie and the lesser chemicals the better.

lala

My stylist colored my hair black, with DE color but she mixes it with a red to keep it from turning to different colors like blue, or gray - it looks great and I use a rinse, b/c the combo of relaxer w/perm color is not good