Commandment # 2

CinnaMocha

I am not even sure how to put all of this together...With today being Easter/Ressurection Sunday, a friend of mine visited a new church. During service the church's dance ministry performed. The dance was supposed to represent Jesus' walk to his crucifixtion (sp). To be specific one of the male dancers was portraying Jesus. Before leaving, she observed that the dance ministry members wanted to take pics (where the male dancer was in his garments, cross in background, crown of thorns, etc) surrounding him. She was so turned off by this b/c she felt that was a form of idol worship.

I just wanted to get some feedback from you all and if you feel she was making a good point in regards to this b/c it got me to thinking if that's the case does this apply to movies, plays, etc that have characters playing the role of Jesus as well?

ILYandY

I think it is blasphemy for plays, dances and performances to be put on mocking Jesus (or any of the prophets) especially on Easter. I do however kind of understand why some people do put on those kind of acts, which is to give a vision of what is said to have happened during those times.

Scripture does oppose such acts, plays and performances.

BTW I do not celebrate Easter but I respect those who do.

Renovating

As long as they worship Jesus and not the plays, dances, and movies, I don't think it is idolatry. Dance is a form of worship and the purpose of the plays is usually to save souls, so I'm unable to make the connection with commandment #2.

Guitarhero

I am not even sure how to put all of this together...With today being Easter/Ressurection Sunday, a friend of mine visited a new church. During service the church's dance ministry performed. The dance was supposed to represent Jesus' walk to his crucifixtion (sp). To be specific one of the male dancers was portraying Jesus. Before leaving, she observed that the dance ministry members wanted to take pics (where the male dancer was in his garments, cross in background, crown of thorns, etc) surrounding him. She was so turned off by this b/c she felt that was a form of idol worship.

I just wanted to get some feedback from you all and if you feel she was making a good point in regards to this b/c it got me to thinking if that's the case does this apply to movies, plays, etc that have characters playing the role of Jesus as well?

I think she needs to take a chill pill. God, with no visible form, came in visible form - Jesus. Of course people want to take a photo because they were moved by the performance. She honestly needs to learn what idol worship it. This is not it.

Guitarhero

I think it is blasphemy for plays, dances and performances to be put on mocking Jesus (or any of the prophets) especially on Easter. I do however kind of understand why some people do put on those kind of acts, which is to give a vision of what is said to have happened during those times.

Please provide scripture. As far as mocking, I don't know of any church of other religion that would mock the passion of Christ on Resurrection Day, especially if it were not part of their religion to even believe in Christ as an historical figure. I'm not understanding what was trying to be said. Churches that do worship Christ are not mocking Him by telling the story of His Passion.

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

coming from a dance ministry member, she just probably wanted to capture the performance for memory sake. I can't imagine any intentional harm or idol worship was intended.

nathansgirl1908

I think she needs to take a chill pill. God, with no visible form, came in visible form - Jesus. Of course people want to take a photo because they were moved by the performance. She honestly needs to learn what idol worship it. This is not it.

Exactly. I wholeheartedly agree.

CinnaMocha

Maybe that's the message she was trying to convey and it got lost in translation...b/c she was very distrubed by them taking pictures...

As long as they worship Jesus and not the plays, dances, and movies, I don't think it is idolatry. Dance is a form of worship and the purpose of the plays is usually to save souls, so I'm unable to make the connection with commandment #2.

Well according to her, or as I understand her, she feels that the picture would be made out to be an image of the male dancer as Christ, and she literally loathes paintings, sculptures or any depiction of Christ, angels, etc

So I revisited it for myself:

Exodus 20:4-6 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand {generations} of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Basically, I was really trying to understand where she was coming from as it related to that and if there was a connection...

This is what I was trying to gauge...Was it me not having a full understanding or was she being over the top b/c of how adamant she feels about imagery of Christ and heavenly beings...

coming from a dance ministry member, she just probably wanted to capture the performance for memory sake. I can't imagine any intentional harm or idol worship was intended.

This is what I thought as well, but I wanted to get opinions from others regarding this...

Thanks a bunch ladies of LHCF...

Last edited:

Mamita

Back to basics
it is blasphemy to ACT as Jesus. in the same way we're not supposed to craft with hands what's in heaven.

and that includes paintings sculptures and moving your body IMPERSONATING Jesus Christ. and mock doesn't just mean making fun of, it's also imitating.

and since acting is just another word for lying, we're not supposed to do it. performance is the same thing. He is reenacting something HE did not experience himself.

I mean you have to have some cojones to say "Ill be Jesus in the play" lol having the audacity to think that you can impersonate the Lord himself? or even any of the apostles for that matter? U're dressed as Jesus, you're not Jesus lol that's a big lie lol

but i know a lot of people will disagree and find very good sides to acting in front of an audiance.

But you shouldn't need to reenact anything, that's what scripture is for.

nathansgirl1908

it is blasphemy to ACT as Jesus. in the same way we're not supposed to craft with hands what's in heaven.

and that includes paintings sculptures and moving your body IMPERSONATING Jesus Christ. and mock doesn't just mean making fun of, it's also imitating.

and since acting is just another word for lying, we're not supposed to do it. performance is the same thing. He is reenacting something HE did not experience himself.

I mean you have to have some cojones to say "Ill be Jesus in the play" lol having the audacity to think that you can impersonate the Lord himself? or even any of the apostles for that matter? U're dressed as Jesus, you're not Jesus lol that's a big lie lol

Wow. I guess everyone has different interpretations, but people re-enact things all the time. It doesn't mean they think they are that person.

Mamita

Back to basics
Oh gosh no I sure hope not loool

I didn't mean that

But that guy is making a face like he's hurting. Is he hurting? No
He's making it seem like the cross is heavy? Is that styrofoam cross is? No
Did Jesus even make those faces? We don't know that

All the guys that played jesus on film were white with long hair and good looking aaaall of that the contrary of what scripture said
Out of the mouth of the actor come the words "I am the son of God" are these guys the living son of God? No

That's how its lies

CinnaMocha

but i know a lot of people will disagree and find very good sides to acting in front of an audiance.

But you shouldn't need to reenact anything, that's what scripture is for.

I haven't had an opportunity to speak with her since regarding this, but what you are saying makes a little sense, or at least gives me an idea of why she felt so strongly. She's actually coming with my church on a bus ride to Maryland. So being that the ride is lenghty, we may get a moment to talk more in depth about it.

Mamita

Back to basics
I haven't had an opportunity to speak with her since regarding this, but what you are saying makes a little sense, or at least gives me an idea of why she felt so strongly. She's actually coming with my church on a bus ride to Maryland. So being that the ride is lenghty, we may get a moment to talk more in depth about it.

great, Im glad
!im not here to change people's minds lool
but if me exposing my views best as i can gave u an angle to understand ur friend im glad

about the picture i guess it was adding insult to injury to her not only its distasteful and what we believe a sin, but people in the church acting like groupies... i guess it was all a bad day for her lool i believe the same as her but i would have cut my losses lol

my holiness church has a sister church in Maryland too lol
have fun

Last edited: