condition THEN neutralize??

Integrity

i am hearing of recommendations for relaxed hair to be deep conditioned BEFORE neutralization after the touch-up process. I think our man Marvin mentions this in his website. Does anyone know why this is beneficial than the traditional method of neutralize then condition. Has anyone tried this and noticed nay difference at all???

G

Pandora, I use the Motions relaxer and that's what the instructions say on their container. I apply the relaxer, rinse and apply their conditioner, rinse and shampoo. I always follow w/a deep conditioner. But I like this method. It leaves your hair very silky.

Integrity

my basic reasoning for better results after using this method is probably that after the relaxing, due to the relatively very high pH of the hair,the shaft and cuticles are somehow more open (porous) and more of the conditioners can penetrate, i guess.

Ennyaa

That's exactly what my beutician does and that's the exact reason she gives for doing it. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif It's so nice to find a place where they actually give a damn.

free2bme

I have read in more than one place that is more benefical to start the neutralizing process with a conditioner instead of your traditional neutralizing shampoo.

Most of the conditioners have a low acidic ph ranging b/w 4.5 & 5.5 to counteract the high alkaline ph of the relaxer (up to 14). neutralizing conditioners are considered a more modern approach b/c when applied, they are more soothing than shampoo on the scalp and require less manipulation to a tender head. A good example of such is step 3 in the Affirm 5 step relaxer process.

free2bme

step 1: Base
step 2: relaxer
step 3: 5-in-1 conditioning reconstructor
step 4: neut shampoo
step 5: condition

Integrity

thanx for that free2bme! one more Q what does the '5 in 1 'for the reconstructor refer to? is it also a hot oil, protein conditioner,moisturizer etc...???

Integrity

I wrote to Cathy Howse about this, not sure if this is allowed but this was her response:

As far as the neutralizing before the conditioner, The hairshaft is opened for hours after the relaxer. Thus the reason I color my hair at the same time with Bigen. If I wait until the next day, the color, over the next few days wipes off on my towel when I wash my hair. I believe protein goes inside the hair shaft also when the hair is relaxed so I will often apply my reconstructor immediately after my hair is neutralized. Since the protein has to dry, sometimes up to an hour, I will not allow my hair to go without neutralizing it before I do the protein reconstructor. I will then follow with a conditioner or sustenance for the softening. Doing it the way they advise is not going to hurt and I have found it does not hurt the way I prefer to do it either. So do what works best for you.

This helps /images/graemlins/smile.gif!

BlkMane

I also follow the relax, conditioner, neutralize (shampoo) method and have used it on my mother's hair as well. I started doing this after I switched to Motions and noticed that this is the method listed on the relaxer container.

My hair came out wonderfully using this method and I lost hardly any hair. Even a week AFTER my relaxer I was hardly losing any hair!

I tend to use one of those neutralizing shampoos that turn pink if you have any relaxer left in your hair and I've noticed that when I conditioner first, then shampoo, the lather is NEVER PINK. It seems that the conditioner actually neutralizes the relaxer.