confused - protein on new growth and demarcation line breakage

protein or not well into a stretch

• Total voters

preciousstone

It seems that ppl differ on this. I've heard diff things in response to my relaxer stretching questions.

So am 4bzz relaxed on my 13 wk post. I've had breakage for the last 2-3 weeks which subsided for a minute and came back with a rage!

I just need to be set straight on this.. at this point in my stretch, with new growth and demarcation line breakage.. should I add more protein to strenghten the demaraction line or not? I'm adding a poll.

Thanks ladies!

I can't give you a definitive answer on this, but I can ask some questions that might help others assess your situation.

What kind of products are you using specifically to manage the new growth?

13 wks regrowth can be a lot to handle...whats your regimen and how are you currently wearing your hair?

I can't give you a definitive answer on this, but I can ask some questions that might help others assess your situation.

What kind of products are you using specifically to manage the new growth?

13 wks regrowth can be a lot to handle...whats your regimen and how are you currently wearing your hair?

Exactly what I was going to say. Protein may help but there may be a few other factors involved.

Exactly what I was going to say. Protein may help but there may be a few other factors involved.

Here's my regimen

1. wash 2-3/wk con detangling shampoo or ORS olive oil shampoo
2. suave or vo5 conditioner
3. ORS replinishing deep conditioner - once a week
4. daily moisturizer - coconut oil mostly on ng; and ors carrot oil on ends

I airdry and rarely use heat.

Here's my regimen

1. wash 2-3/wk con detangling shampoo or ORS olive oil shampoo
2. suave or vo5 conditioner
3. ORS replinishing deep conditioner - once a week
4. daily moisturizer - coconut oil mostly on ng; and ors carrot oil on ends

I airdry and rarely use heat.

Hmm...

First, I would say (keeping in mind I'm no expert)

1. Shampooing so often could be drying you out. Dryness=Friction=Mechanical Stress=Breakage

2. You might want to pick a richer conditioner. Suave and VO5 are so slippy because they have silicone, which doesnt actually moisturize your hair, just cover it. Personally, I use a richer conditioner(which may not be slippy), and then put something with slip on at the very end to aid in detangling.

3. I use these and I think they work well, but you might want to add a protein deep conditioner in to alternate with this one.

Hope this helps!!:yep:

ETA: You might also want to apply your condition like you would a relaxer. It makes sure all your new growth gets covered completely.

Last edited:
Hmm...

First, I would say (keeping in mind I'm no expert)

1. Shampooing so often could be drying you out. Dryness=Friction=Mechanical Stress=Breakage

2. You might want to pick a richer conditioner. Suave and VO5 are so slippy because they have silicone, which doesnt actually moisturize your hair, just cover it. Personally, I use a richer conditioner(which may not be slippy), and then put something with slip on at the very end to aid in detangling.

3. I use these and I think they work well, but you might want to add a protein deep conditioner in to alternate with this one.

Hope this helps!!:yep:

ETA: You might also want to apply your condition like you would a relaxer. It makes sure all your new growth gets covered completely.

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush: OMG!!!!! I THOUGHT SUAVE AND VO5 WERE CONE FREE.. am so annoyed! i've been using them religiously. what do you use as a 'richer' moisturizing conditioner?

Some good moisturizing condishes (deep)...Aubrey Organics HSR, Nexxus Humectress, Kenra Moisturizing Condish, Silk Elements Megasilk, Keracare Humecto...just to name a few...

I'm of the "protein is my friend" school and I use protein every single week. ESPECIALLY, when I'm that far post. However, I always follow-up with a moisturizing conditioner which I leave in for 3-5 mins as a final rinse. I use Aveda DR, Joico, or Cathy Howse's UBH for protein. I then follow-up with MT for 3-5 mins and then I use Elucence MBC as my last rinse out. My hair is fine but I'm bone straight and need the strength for the 2 textures. I use Hawaiian Silky or Elucence as a moisturizer and seal with an oil or Seyani Butter. My last stretch was for 17+ weeks and I had virtually no breakage. HTH!

I'm of the "protein is my friend" school and I use protein every single week. ESPECIALLY, when I'm that far post. However, I always follow-up with a moisturizing conditioner which I leave in for 3-5 mins as a final rinse. I use Aveda DR, Joico, or Cathy Howse's UBH for protein. I then follow-up with MT for 3-5 mins and then I use Elucence MBC as my last rinse out. My hair is fine but I'm bone straight and need the strength for the 2 textures. I use Hawaiian Silky or Elucence as a moisturizer and seal with an oil or Seyani Butter. My last stretch was for 17+ weeks and I had virtually no breakage. HTH!

so you don't leave in the protein for more than 5 mins? and then you do a moisturizing condition for about the same lenght of time? also, do u shampoo? a previous poster said that one of my probs may be that am shampooing too often. if using that much protein do you have to shampoo too? and how often? also, do you put the protein on the ng or just the ends?

so you don't leave in the protein for more than 5 mins? and then you do a moisturizing condition for about the same lenght of time? also, do u shampoo? a previous poster said that one of my probs may be that am shampooing too often. if using that much protein do you have to shampoo too? and how often? also, do you put the protein on the ng or just the ends?

I shampoo my hair weekly. I'm not shampooing more than 1x per week. I usually deep condition with protein for anywhere from 15-30 mins under the dryer. I don't DC my ends only........I put conditioner throughout my hair. I use Megatek (search for the threads on usage) for 3-5 mins AFTER I have DC'd. The last thing I do is use a moisturizing conditioner for 3-5mins. HTH!

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush: OMG!!!!! I THOUGHT SUAVE AND VO5 WERE CONE FREE.. am so annoyed! i've been using them religiously. what do you use as a 'richer' moisturizing conditioner?

No need for alarm! My statement was incorrect, and I apologize. I personally don't use these, so that was my assumption. I did some research, and they appear to be cone-free. Didn't mean to misinform you. But its still true that they don't deeply penetrate the hair to moisturize, and that deep conditioning is needed in the OPs situation.

ETA: I'm currently testing the Hydratherma Naturals Line, so I'm using those deep conditioners. But you can look for any product that says leave on 10-15 min and/or to use heat.

Last edited:

All of V05's condies and most of Suave 1.00 condis ARE cone free.

However, the Suave Professional line has a few water soluable cones in them. Just read the back of your labels.

Also, I think you need to add real daily moisturizer to your reggie. Coconut oil is nice, but they aren't moisturizing no matter how lubricating they feel. There's a difference between lubrication and moisturized. I would find a good water-based cream such as ORS olive oil or Sunsilk TLC cream to use daily, THEN seal those in with your coconut oil.

When I'm deep into my relaxer stretches, I add more proteins to my regimen but then again, I would always do some form of protective styling as well like wear my hair braided with extensions for 6-8 weeks to further assist me in the stretch. Low to no mannipulation is imperative for me when I am stretching my relaxers. I still use protein treatments and deep condition my hair while wearing braids once a week.

Last edited:
When I do my stretches, I do my protien treatments every 6-8 weeks and keep that area very well moisturized and apply no heat.

Last edited:
Instead of pooing 2- 3 times a week, you can use the V05/Suave to co wash instead and poo maybe once every two weeks or as needed. Also like others have stated, you need a good deep conditioner. The ORS pack is fine for that but it wouldn't hurt to rotate it w/ another one. Also be sure to moisturize daily and to seal it in.....oh okay I see you use ORS carrot oil cream on ends. That's fine but be sure to seal it in. I would say you need an all over moisturizer.....something that can get to the newgrowth. If carrot oil is what you're using, apply it to the newgrowth also.

I voted...when i'm well into my stretch... i stay the heck away from (hard) protein because I get severe tangles.

I stretch for 4 to 6 months at a time and I use protein treatments weekly.

Protein usage while stretching depends on your hair type (fine, medium or course strands), since I have fine hair, my hair is already fragile so to keep it a strong as possible weekly protein treatments are a must. Someone with courser hair may not need to do protein treatments as often, because they have more cuticle layers, hence stronger hair, making the difference at the line of demarcation not as great.

Because I have fine hair I can not over manipulate it, so washing once a week works best for me. I only comb my hair on wash days and finger comb throughout the rest of the week.

Also you have to know what’s in your products. I know that my dc moisturizer is protein & cone free so when I moisturize after my protein treatment, I’m truly moisturizing, balancing out my protein.

Back