Breakage at Demarcation Line

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I've been reading threads indicating about breakage at line of demarcation due to stretching. Few questions --

(1) How/Why does this happen?
(2) How to prevent the breakage?
(3) Does the signs of breakage appear while stretching? during the relaxer after ending your stretch? or the days/week post relaxer?

By the way, I have no breakage but just inquiring on this topic.

TIA

JuiceMobsta

1) The point where the two textures meet is weak. The two different textures require different care.
2)Try to keep protein/moisture in balance and be very gentle with hair
3) Breakage usually occurs when one is stretching for a long period of time and can also occur in between relaxer touch ups.

KurlyNinja

(1) How/Why does this happen?

I believe it happens because the chemicals in relaxers break the bonds of our hair making it weaker than our natural hair. So therefore when out hair grows out there is a weak point in our hair hence the line of demarcation. I think this would count for colored hair as well, but I'm not sure. Breakage occurs because I think its our hair naturally trying to rid of the weaker hair...

(2) How to prevent the breakage?

I've been upping the protein. This keeps the relaxed ends stronger therefore less prone to breakage.

(3) Does the signs of breakage appear while stretching? during the relaxer after ending your stretch? or the days/week post relaxer?

I'm transitioning and I didn't start seeing breakage until probably a 2 weeks ago. I just upped the protein and it stopped.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
It happens because the place where the natural texture ends and the processed hair begins is inherently weak. I don't know why that is, but I'd venture to guess that it's because the protein bonds in the processed and unprocessed hair are arranged differently, so it's like...difficult for the hair to stay together at that place where the two arrangements meet.

I personally keep demarcation breakage from happening to me by making sure that I:
1. Carefully tend to the line of demarcation. I make sure to use a protein reconstructor at every wash, and apply my deep conditioner like relaxer, to make sure that the area is getting all the protein and moisture it needs to stay strong. And when I moisturize, I use a spray on one and apply it directly to the new growth and line of demarcation.

2. Low manipulation and low tension styling. I look at the line of demarcation like...a frayed spot in a thread. To keep it from getting weaker and breaking, I try not to disturb the area too much. So no hand in hair disease (this is hard, because I like to play in my new growth) and no excessive combing or brushing. And when I have to do my hair, I use plenty of moisturizer to lubricate the area, use a wide tooth comb and soft brush, and go slowly and very carefully. I also try not to pull too hard on my hair when I bun, because tension can also snap the hair at that place. Instead, I use a scarf and some alcohol free gel or Elasta QP Mango Butter to get it sleek and smooth.

3. I flat iron my roots after rollersetting. This is probably not for everyone, but if the weather is not so humid, I do flat iron my roots. If it's going to be humid or rainy that week, I don't bother. It makes the new growth mimic the relaxed part, and cuts back drastically on breakage for me. I'm just careful to use a good heat protectant, and I never iron on higher than 250 F. So far, the health of my hair hasn't suffered.

And the breakage appears during the stretch, because that's the time when the disparate textures are present. It manifests itself in longer pieces of hair in the comb, but when you look at it, there's no new growth on the strand and no bulb. Or you may see patches or spots of hair on your head, where there's only new growth, and all the relaxed hair on top is gone.

hth.