Congratulations Anikalia, our August Feature ....

Ire_manzi

Congratulations!

YanteCoi

Anikalia,

I know it took a long time
, but I finally became a member in order to give you congratulations! I'm so happy that you are being recognized because you have beautiful hair and a beautiful spirit to go along with it.
Thanks for sharing all of your tips and products recommendations, I'm sure that they will help many people on this board.

--Yante

chica

Anikalia,

Congrats on your feature.

I have a few questions:

1) What do you use to texturize your hair?
2) How often do you texturize?
3) How do you maintain your hair (styles, products, etc.?)

garr6982

Congratulations Anikalia! Your hair is awesome both straight and texturized! Truly an inspiration to me and confirmation of my texturizing and moisturizing! I also like the fact that you are also a "mixologist"
!

What method did you use to get the straight look?

Keep up the fantastic work!

anikalia

Oh my goodness thank you so much!!

I didn't expect all the nice messages! I definitely appreciate them. Growing up, my mom was a hairdresser so the hair fanaticism started early on. She gave me a relaxer at 5 so I went natural at 20 to see what my natural texture was like. I've always had at least bob-length hair, but would get so frustrated with the grow-break cycle. Now I'm just hoping to leave my hair alone long enough for it to reach bra-strap length. I'm close!

Supergirl, thank you! I was in awe of your hair when I saw it. Really georgeous.
I completed all classroom hours at Empire Beauty School in Dunwoody and transferred to a much cheaper but raggedy school in the area to accumulate clock hours. At the time Empire was $11,000 and the other one was $5,500. I'm glad I did, but will definitely need to prepare long and hard for the State Board exam. Good luck to you! Hair isn't something that I'd like to do full time, but it's GREAT to have options, especially if it's something that you're passionate about.

Sweetcocoa, I appreciate your words. It's impossible to please everyone's ideal of what your hair should be. Do what you will be satisfied and happy with. As my hair gets longer, I get tiny knots on individual strands. Since short hair isn't an option, this was one of the major reasons for texturizing. That and shrinkage. Good luck with your decision!

Chica here are my answers to your q's:
1) What do you use to texturize your hair?

Hawaiian Silky Mild Regular and a thick conditioner, 1:1 ratio

2) How often do you texturize?

2-3 times a year or as needed. Sometimes I'll do the back half only or just specific areas and ends. I examine my hair's curl pattern and try to keep the curl pattern consistent throughout. Now it's just noticable when I "need" to touch up, but I strive to maximize the time between. Over time my hair tends to revert, especially the ends.

3) How do you maintain your hair (styles, products, etc.?)

During the week I mainly pull it up in a clip like this http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/anikalia/vwp?.dir=/My+Photos/Hair+Album&.src=ph&.dnm=July+14--staple+style.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/anikalia/lst%3f%26.dir=/My%2bPhotos/Hair%2bAlbum%26.src=ph%26.view=t or wear a bun or ponytail. Most of the products and I use are in the feature (incl. regimen) but others I am using till I run out. You know how that goes.
I'm dying to buy some Aubrey GPB but trying to resist the temptation.

Yante you're so sweet! I'm just trying to be like you--you're the expert!
Thanks!

Oh and my hair was blow-dried straight. Next time it will be rollerset due to the burnt-hair smell.

miss_brown

Once again, beautiful hair

Couple more questions -
1. how long do you leave the relaxer on?
2. do you smooth the hair with anything once applied?
4. do you part in sections and then apply or just rub the mixture everywhere?
3. have you noticed any breakage at the point where the texturized hair meets your new growth?

thanks in advance!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Re: Congratulations Anikalia, our August Feature .

Totally irrelevant, but the background on your pics is beautiful

beverly

Admin (November 2020 Photo)
Staff member

Thanks again Anikalia for being the feature, your hair is lovely. Bev

anikalia

Thank you!

Miss Brown I PM'd you.

Supergirl thanks! Those pics were taken inside my house, selected those paint shades myself.
Starting to think about color for dining/living room wall. Maybe a light apricot shade, but it may give off Punky Brewster vibe, being that the kitchen is tomato colored. What do you think? Furniture and accents are neutral.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

I remember Punky Brewster!!!!!!!! You obviously have good taste. I think that whatever you select will look really nice
The light apricot does sound pretty. Tomato colored will give you more of a contrast though and bring alot of energy to the room.

CaramelKiss

Congratulations Anakalia! I love ur hair!!! It is really really beautiful as are u!!! I also love the other pics u have posted in your album. Thank u for being a wonderful inspiration!!!!

B

ballet_bun

Congratulations Anikalia ... your hair is beautiful! And wow ... you're skin is so clear too. I wouldn't mind knowing your skin care regimen either!!!!

Ballet Bun ...

anikalia

Aww I'm so flattered!

Skin came courtesy of a daily dose of Ortho-Tricyclen, Neutrogena fragrance-free bar soap and a sea sponge. It's dramatically improved with the BC pills.

CaramelKiss glad you enjoyed the pics! Most of my friends live in other states so it's a great way for them to keep up with what's been going on down here. Unfortunately my digital cam's zoom just broke, so now I have to send off to Olympus. Hopefully it'll be returned by the R Kelly concert. <fingers crossed>

Thank you!

ricochet

Oh my goodness! I just had to reply to congratulate you Anikalia on your progress! Your hair is absolutely gorgeous...Keep up the great work!

JazzAngel

Anikalia, thanks for sharing. Your hair looks wonderful and thanks for that homemade recipe.