Contemplating going natural, a few questions...

Gemini350z

My hair seems to not like relaxers, so I am thinking about going natural, I have never been natural before. My mother relaxed me when I was fairly young so I have no idea what my hair texture is like, or what it will be like to take care of it.

Right now I am a few months post. Is my newgrowth a good representation of what my natural hair will look like? or is most of it scab hair?

I cut my hair at the nape to a couple inches most of it is natural,it seems to be a 3c back there, a little finer, not as coarse as my front hairline, which seems like it does not hold a curl.

Once I do bc, will I have to train my hair to curl, or will it do it on its own?

Thanks in advance.

Mook's hair

I'm off to look in your fotki.
Most of your questions are things that you will just have to wait & see.
I'll send you a message in your album.

LadyEuphoria007

Right now I am a few months post. Is my newgrowth a good representation of what my natural hair will look like? or is most of it scab hair? In my experience I did not have scab hair, I know folks get it but I didn't so I'd just say that was your natural texture. The only real way I've noticed to determine scab hair is to just let your hair grow out and if it stays the same then not scab hair but if it changes it was scab hair.

I cut my hair at the nape to a couple inches most of it is natural,it seems to be a 3c back there, a little finer, not as coarse as my front hairline, which seems like it does not hold a curl.

Once I do bc, will I have to train my hair to curl, or will it do it on its own? Most ladies here (myself included) find that we have several patches of different hair types or even a mix of types on our head. If your hair has a curl pattern it will curl on it's own but there are different sizes of curls. Depending on what look you are wanting then you may have to manipulate your hair to achieve that style.
I don't think you can train it to curl other than doing coilouts twistouts braidouts and things like that.

Good luck on your decision. Do you have a fotki? ETA: Duh I see the link now lol.

Last edited:

RedVelvet310

My hair seems to not like relaxers, so I am thinking about going natural, I have never been natural before. My mother relaxed me when I was fairly young so I have no idea what my hair texture is like, or what it will be like to take care of it.

Right now I am a few months post. Is my newgrowth a good representation of what my natural hair will look like? or is most of it scab hair?

Once I do bc, will I have to train my hair to curl, or will it do it on its own?

Thanks in advance.

IMO Your NG is not a good representation of what your hair texture will be when you BC... when I BC-ed my hair still had some damage because I used to flat iron my NG to blend with my relaxer (this was before lhcf)... when I BC-ed I had some extremely dry spots that didn't curl like the rest of my hair so that affected my 'hair typing abilities' and also as your hair gets longer your texture becomes for evident, my entire head is curly now in comparison to when I first BCed when some hair was curly... and some were just... matted and scruffy =/

I can only talk from my experience... and in my experience... I never had to 'train' my hair to curly... black hair is naturally curly.. you just HAVE to have your moisture/protein game ON POINT.. AND BUY A DENMAN BRUSH!!! :spinning: It HELPS :yep:.. find a great moisturizing condish (for me is he hh & suave) and a great protein condish (ors hair mayonnaise)... and a great sealing oil (i use castor oil)... and you'll have no probs =) HTH Oh yes and remember to LISTEN TO YOUR HAIR... cause what might work for others may work for you.. don't try to get your hair to 'take' to a product! Sorry I wrote so much.. I just hope you have all the success if you decide to go natural =) :grin:

Cheleigh

Thanks in advance.

1. My new growth didn't look much of anything until I was about 6 months post relaxer. Even then, my NG looked looser than my natural hair's texture actually is (because the relaxed ends weigh down the natural hair). I didn't have any scab hair.

2. My nape and the back 1/3 of my hair has a looser curl than the front 2/3. The texture is "silkier" too. I think that's pretty common with a lot of naturals.

3. You won't have to "train" it, but as your hair grows, as you use different product, and techniques, and as your hair becomes more moisturized and healthy, your curl pattern will change (become looser, tighter, frizzier, less frizzy, etc.). Not everyone's hair strands "clump" into defined curls, although the hair strand might still be curly. Some people's hair clumps in one portion of their hair, but not the other portions. That's why it can be important to not come into natural hair with preconceived notions about what "your" hair should/must/will look like, because it almost never does. I didn't know what to expect after the BC, and I'm still surprised about what my hair looks like and acts like.

Gemini350z

Thanks for all the information!!! I am just anxious, I just hope I can take care of it when I get to that point since it will all be so new.