Cornrows

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I have a quick question. I got cornrows in last night I know I cant wash my hair but can I at least just stand under my shower and get them wet? I dont know if I can go for a long period of time with our water hitting my scalp plus they are VERY snug and I am hoping this will help loosen them a bit. If they dont loosen up by morning I am going to take them out. You are the only ones who understand that cause hubby things I am crazy if I take them out.

When I do cornrows in the salon, I tell people that you can stand under the water and get them wet. That will loosen up the tight feeling and you will get comfortable again. Just don't do it right before you go to bed.

Wow, not a lot of responses.
I'll weigh-in here.
My braid routine.
I wear braids extensions every summer and follow the Crown & Glory method.
I use Diluted Infusium and I use African Royal braid spray 2 or 3 times a day. I've never experienced any oily buildup or stickiness with this.
Don't get African Pride. It's not as good and it's not a black owned company....Royale is.
I don't wash or cowash my hair frequently when I'm wearing braids/cornrows I mainly concentrate on the scalp and the new growth and I use the two sprays to moisturize down the length of my hair.
I have a hand held shower sprayer. When I want to wash, I use the sprayer really close to my scalp to wash the soap out.

Another method I use is, I clean my scalp & new growth with just warm water & a washcloth. This is also the method I use mainly for cornrows.
I do that almost every day.
I only saturate my whole head of hair if I've been swimming in a pool or the ocean and it needs to be clarified. Other than that, I moisturize with the sprays.

I have also read that you can put a stocking over your head/hair and wash with diluted shampooor COwash while it is on and let it dry with the stocking still on.
That is supposed to keep the fuzzies to a minimum.

I'm never tried that but it sounds good in theory. And I’ve also found that if you tie a silk or satin scarf on your head fairly tight while your braids dry, this will help your cornrows look less frizzy.

I also sometimes use a mix of Water, Aloe Vera Juice & Silk Amino Acids to moisturize my hair.

How long do you plan to keep the cornrows in? Whenever I get them they are tight for the first 2-3 days, but after I take some ibuprofen and spray with braid spray, they're fine. I don't see any problem with getting them wet in the shower! Hope this helps!

^^^Okay gotcha. :yep:

Washing or even wetting them too frequently will cause them to fuzz faster than if you didn't wash or wet them. But, you can wash them in ways to lessen the manipulation. Mook's already covered the best suggestions, I usually wash my hair once a week in cornrows (but, I only keep them in 2-4 weeks, depending on the style). I do the washcloth thing during the week if my scalp starts acting funny.

And just a minute missy... where are your pics? :lol: I love a good cornrow style... you need to share! :grin:

I always wash my hair within 24 hours of getting extensions. The only time I don't wash right away is if I do not add hair to my own. I wash because I can't always pre-treat the hair that is being used, and my scalp doesn't always agree with the new hair. (Pre-treating means that I soak the hair in a vinegar and water solution and then rinse it well.) The fuzzies are going to happen with time regardless, so as Mook said you can use a scarf to keep the fuzzies at bay. I would absolutely not use a stocking cap to wash though. When you wash your braids with a stocking cap there is no where for the dirt to go except to sit right on top of your braids. The stocking is porous enough to let water through, but not much else and you defeat the purpose of the wash. I hope your cornrows loosen enough for you to enjoy the style and the break from styling.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies but I have decided to take them out cause even after steaming for half an hour then under my shower for about 15 min they are still hurt. Today is Monday to tonight I am taking them down. I dont want to have a set back. I will get hubby to take a pic before I take them down for you ladylibra.

I have extensions in my cornrows and I DC and wash them weekly. I tie it down after I wash and they look fine. They only look fuzzy that 4th week, but after I wet them and put shea butter on - they look fine and last thru the last week.

When I don't wash and DC my braid regularly, by hair looks more fuzzy when I actually remove the braids. If I take care of them, I wash two days before removal and can wear as a braid out. I use lots of shea/coconut oil though.

Back