can you wash your hair with crochet braids?

BlkOnyx488

hi all I have been watching alot of videos about
and everyone says they wipe with witch hazel to clean, but absolutely no
like shower wash. is that because they are using synthetic hair. or is it because it will damage your real hair i you wet.
of is it because it will loosen he cornrows?

Thanks I can do crochets for another 14 days so I am just gathering as much info as possible until I can do them

I think you can take a color applicator bottle dillute some shampoo and clean between your braids like that:yep:

It seems most people warn against washing the synthetic hair because they say it'll frizz up on you terribly once dry which I can believe because I really had to gel down each piece I crocheted in to get the curl definition and hang.

I'm gonna focus on washing my cornrows in the mean time then when I'm ready to take them down I'm gonna wet the hair and wash as normal to see what happens.

I imagine this could be much easier if done with human hair. I think I'll try securing the knot with a single tie of a string:think:

I think I'm gonna add this to my thread so people can get some ideas.

I thought if you dip synthetic hair in cold water it snaps it back into shape.

That's the way my synthetic wigs use to do:perplexed
I am considering using human hair, so I can play with it with a curling iron
:grin:
I think you can take a color applicator bottle dillute some shampoo and clean between your braids like that:yep:

It seems most people warn against washing the synthetic hair because they say it'll frizz up on you terribly once dry which I can believe because I really had to gel down each piece I crocheted in to get the curl definition and hang.

I'm gonna focus on washing my cornrows in the mean time then when I'm ready to take them down I'm gonna wet the hair and wash as normal to see what happens.

I imagine this could be much easier if done with human hair. I think I'll try securing the knot with a single tie of a string:think:

I cowashed my first set of crochet braids almost daily. I had no problems with frizz (then again my crochet braids are in twists). With this new set (also twists) I washed them only once so far, after 13 days.

I just make sure to rinse well.

Last edited:

This - and also it can be hard to keep them from sliding out depending on how much "grip" the hair you used has. Synth does frizz but I don't mind about that coz frizz within reason makes it look more natural. I watched a lady on youtube who said she washed her crochet braids and she kept them in for 2 or 3 months which is pretty good (don't remember her handle though). I guess the key is to do it (shampoo) carefully. I've been testing different hair in my cornrow base to find which will hold best but haven't done full heat yet. I have washed with the testers in and my hair in a net weave cap. And so this is prolly what I'd do if I had a full install.

There are ppl on BHM who say thumbs down to human hair coz it swells and slides out. I've tested a few stands of this and didn't get good results but these were cuticle hair samples and maybe it's different if you use regular non-cuticle human hair.

hi all I have been watching alot of videos about
and everyone says they wipe with witch hazel to clean, but absolutely no
like shower wash. is that because they are using synthetic hair. or is it because it will damage your real hair i you wet.
of is it because it will loosen he cornrows?

Thanks I can do crochets for another 14 days so I am just gathering as much info as possible until I can do them

I washed mine when I had them and it did no harm to my hair. That was many years ago though

I have some in now, I'm scared to wash it, because I'm afraid it'll look frizzy. Are you guys washing in the shower? Or with an applicator?

I'm curious as well I'm getting some done by BlackMasterPiece (can't wait:grin:) and would like to know how it holds up after washing.

From my experience they hold up every well after washing and don't frizz out much. The first set that i had I washed with out the applicator bottle and they frizzed out by the 3rd wash. The second set i washed using the applicator bottle and just focused on mt scalp and the braids looked fine after washing. It helps if you gel the hair while its wet and it looks even better than before. The length of time that you are able to keep the braids in depends on the sturdiness of the braid base, if don't braid tight enough then then your hair will start to look frizz. Out of all the crochets that I have had it seems like the water wave holds up the best and they start to look more like your hair over time.
hope this helps!

Back