Could it be that "bone-straight" breaks less?

Plenty

We have all confirmed that Dominicans, the ones with the healthiest/longest hair, relax bone straight and they don't exactly believe in stretching relaxers.

Could it be that the straight hair breaks less becuase their is less friction comming and brushing. I was just think about this and all the ladies with beauiful hair at the domincan salon here in charlotte, nc. Also when I was in high school I had a very nice legnth hair that kept growing and my hair was "bone straight"

Why don't most believe in straightening hair to lay down. I couldn't began to tell you what relaxering hair to 70%-90% is because I don't even know what the hell that means or how it is accomplished. Do you ladies think bone-straight means over processed? Can you even tell the difference between overproccesed and damaged?

Just some thoughts....

shiningstar84

Plenty706 said:
We have all confirmed that Dominicans, the ones with the healthiest/longest hair, relax bone straight and they don't exactly believe in stretching relaxers.

i dont know any dominicans:spinning: so i cant agree or disagree

Could it be that the straight hair breaks less becuase their is less friction comming and brushing. I was just think about this and all the ladies with beauiful hair at the domincan salon here in charlotte, nc. Also when I was in high school I had a very nice legnth hair that kept growing and my hair was "bone straight"

i agree with that point, most combs/brushes are geared towards people with bone straight hair. it's hard to find the right sized combs/brushes if you have kinks n curls

Why don't most believe in straightening hair to lay down. I couldn't began to tell you what relaxering hair to 70%-90% is because I don't even know what the hell that means or how it is accomplished.

it sounds like a texturizer to me. but i dont really know myself:)

Do you ladies think bone-straight means over processed? Can you even tell the difference between overproccesed and damaged?

i dont think bone straight = overprocessed. but i do think the more you "process" your hair, the more damaged it will become due to the chemicals breaking down your hair.

I always thought overprocessed meant overlapping, :confused:

Just some thoughts....

pink_flower

LOL @ the 70-90%. I am always confused at those percentages too.

Anyways, I don't think bone straight means overprocessed. When I see a lady with overprocessed hair it's always paper thin, life-less and plastered to her head.

I've started relaxing my hair straighter than what I normally do because I wasn't pleased with the uneven textures. I don't think my hair is BONE straight, I dunno I guess that phrase has a negative connotation for me because my hair is still thick and has body. I guess the major difference for me is that when my hair is wet it doesn't have much texture, so detangling is a breeze.

Anyways, I do find when I wear my hair straight my cuticles are very smooth, so there is VERY limited snagging or breakage.

I don't think having straight hair is the cure all for breakage, but I was just sharing my experiences

Dunno if that helped you.

LondonDiva

I think that bone straight breaks less, which is one reason why I think stretching doesn't work for me. Although my hair isn't bone straight (just check my puff in my avatar) when the hair is all the same texture its easier to comb in the shower and once dry, meaning less manipulation, less hair loss etc.

Eiano

Yes you are right.

And yeah... yeah... we can say that "if you take care of your hair and treat it right all hair breaks less..." No.

If you do comparable things to a straight head and a curly head, the straight would break less.

Cheleigh

I relaxed bone straight for 20 years, and I only had breakage when I wasn't taking care of my hair at all.

I'm guessing too that how well your hair handles bone straight depends on your natural texture. My natural hair is not particularly fragile. The main problem with bone straight for me is that it made my hair eventually looking thinner over the years.

ETA: Even though I was relaxed bone straight, I was still a 10-16 week stretcher in between.

Last edited:

tropicexotic

free @ last
Personally I think it's their conditioning habits that allow their hair to break less and retain length...cuz if their hair was that bone straight from relaxing, why would so many dominican salons believe in super hot blow drying to get the hair straight? Also, for hair to even keep up under that amount of heat conditioning must be top notch. Just my 2 cents tho, I dunno very much on the topic. :)

MelsWifey

Hair Fanatic
For me, I can honestly say that not relaxing bone straight saved my hair, or should I say it gave my hair the "appearance that it was healthier.

I have really fine hair and when I was bone straight my hair looked terribly thin. Relaxing only to about 85% allows my hair to retain some of its texiure and gives the appearance of thicker and healthier hair.

I can totally see where you're coming from by saying that bone straight will break less, but keeping it bone straight would require frequent relaxing with not much time in between. This will undoubtedly lead to a bit of over processing because even when I strecth to 4 months it is tough to get the relaxer on new growth and new growth only. The more new growth you have to work with the better chances you have of not relaxing anything that has been previously relaxed. Strecthing while bone straight would be even more difficult because of the drastic texture differences.

Plus for me, texture equals strength which also helps curb breakage so...just my .02.

Nanyanika

Since relaxing my hair bone straight, it doesn't break like my texturized hair did. However, i still have four inches of curly processed ends left and they break like crazy, that's why i can't comb or wash it too often.

Synthia

tropicexotic said:
Personally I think it's their conditioning habits that allow their hair to break less and retain length...cuz if their hair was that bone straight from relaxing, why would so many dominican salons believe in super hot blow drying to get the hair straight? Also, for hair to even keep up under that amount of heat conditioning must be top notch. Just my 2 cents tho, I dunno very much on the topic. :)

I know. That is always so interesting to me. I've tried in vain to Google up some Dominican hair boards that discuss their maintenance/conditioning habits but have found none:(. So, yes, how they withstand the heat is a mystery.

Anyway, I know when I accidentally under-relax an area it breaks more and gets drier. So for me, getting my hair really straight (not so straight that it's lifeless, but straight) is better, healthier, and stronger.

atlien11

I found that when my stylists straightened my hair 'bone straight' it snapped at the slightest tug. I also think this was due to the fact that her ceramic iron was on a much higher temp then mine. When she turned the temp down, my hair 'gave' a little more before it broke. (i tested these out on strands i pulled out). Also i use Phyto and it doesnt straighten bone straight and i have less breakage then using another relaxer.

baglady215

I'm thinking that bone straight may be best for my hair. I have ends that are underprocessed and they frizz, tangle, and break like crazy. I have a hard time getting my hair to bone straight though. I haven't found a lye relaxer yet that can do it, and I'm still a bit skeptical about no-lye. I think it depends on the hair though. Thick-haired ladies can probably handle bone straight hair than finer-stranded ladies.

esoterica

bone straight hair takes a lot less time and effort to style. and a lot less heat as well. less combing, brushing and heating can't be a bad thing. i'm sure there is a difference between relaxing until straight and over processing. i imagine overprocessed hair would probably break off anyway as all the bonds would be gone.