Is it better to not relax your hair bone straight

emerald06

when your hair is longer? I'd say my hair is about 5 inches from my bra strap. I would think that the weight of your hair needs strenght that completely processed hair could not give. But if you don't make it bone straight, wouldn't there be breakage around the line of demarcation?

Ideas?

Is your hair natural?

It all depends on what type of look you want...do you want it bone straight, texturized, or natural?

Re: Is it better to not relax your hair bone strai

My hair is relaxed. My last relaxer was in January and I've been stretching out the relaxer/flirting with the idea of going natural. But I've learned something from seeing my natural hair. I notice that the length of my hair really pulls on my roots and stretches them out. It seems like if there's enough weight to stretch my natural hair, it would be enough to snap my relaxed hair in two if its overprocessed or too straight. I don't know.
confused.gif

The reason for not relaxing bone straight is that your hair will have more elasiticity and will be stronger and better able to handle stretching without breaking when wet or dry.

do u feel like a relaxer would put weight on your hair?

well if you do decide to relax, make sure you relax the new growth ONLY! Overprocessed hair is relaxing hair that has already been relaxed.

If you want to go natural or extend your relaxer, try doing conditioner washes and airdrying your hair in a ponytail or other protective style so you wont have to worry about combing or fooling with the roots/new growth.

My hair is relaxed and almost bra-starp length as well and I never relax my hair straight. I only leave the relaxer in for a maximum of 3 minutes. My hair hasn't broken off where the two textures meet and never has. Though when I did have damage, it was whole hairs that were coming out from the root (shedding).

My hair had been relaxed bone straight (I didn't know that till I joined this forum) but it was always VERY VERY healthy. I am not advocating relaxing bone straight b/c if I knew then when I know now, I would have definitely left a decent amount of wave in my hair.

Back