Could my hair be thinning because im addicted to putting it in a ponytail??

Saida

My hair is getting thinner and thinner :nono:

I dont know what could be causing this :ohwell: my hair on top of my head is pretty thick, but right around where I always have my ponytail its getting thinner, and ive been wearing a ponytail for as long as I can remember, that has been my only style, I've become addicted to it, people tell me to let my hair loose but, it always ends up in that darn ponytail.

Well doing some research about why my hair is thin, I learned that it could be due to wearing it in ponytails all the time, I want to start a personal challenge to see how long I can go without putting my hair in a ponytail, and get my hair to get thicker,

Are there any other Ideas that you have for getting my hair to get thicker? I would like to know as well, because thin hair is really not making me happy, and I know that my hair is not naturally thin:sad: So there must be a solution.

PLEASE help, and if you read so far thank you.

Any advice appreciated.

hothair

How tight are the pony tails? I wear pony tails but I don't make them tight just enough to stay up, also twist your hair at the back and use a hair clip if you want it out of the way.

For thickness, MT is working for me, I can't swear to the growth some of the others have but definitely thickness:yep: Co-washing daily has also been great for my moisture levels HTH

MA2010

Ponytails should be fine if you don't place them in the same spot all the time. Try low or high ponytails. Maybe even a nice side ponytail would relieve some areas from being pulled thus thinned out. Many women have grown their hair long and strong with ponytails/bunning! HTH.

Irresistible

This is a hard one for me to answer, because I'm so much like you and always wear a ponytail and somehow my hair has thickened over the last few years, so I just cant say its the ponytail

for me really really keeping up with good nutrition made a huge difference for me , thats all I can think of that did it

how's your vitamin regimen, makes sure thats comprehensive! :yep:

of course make sure your hair is getting plenty of oils , moisture and protein as it needs

LushLox

I'm a bit scared of ponytails, it's how I ended up with severe breakage, but then I persisted in wearing it in the same part of my head every day. :nono: I guess the old saying applies - everything in moderation and just ensure you don't wear them too tight.

SEMO

When I was relaxed I got breakage around my ponytail area (which thinned my hair some there) b/c I wore them too tight and always in the same spot. I also used to use the ponytail holders with the metal pieces. Those are all no no's.

Now I change up the position of the ponytail, don't wear it tight and only use the ones with no metal on them. I haven't tried it, but I also heard some people dip their ponytail holders in oil (like jojoba) so that they glide easier in the hair and are not prone to sucking moisture from the hair. I haven't tried this yet, but I might give it a shot.

titan

I noticed that when I am wearing my ponytails to tight, my edges will start to become thin. I am starting to wear my hair down more often and it is benifitting my hairline. I also make sure that I take down my ponytail before I do to bed, this relieves stress on my hair.

Isis77

Maybe you could use knee-high panty hose tops for ponytail holders? I've heard they put less friction on the hair. Also, maybe you could find other ways to wear your hair up besides in pony-tails (like cute and safe hair clips)

Saida

Thank you everyone for your replies,

Yes I do wear them very tight, and no my diet is aweful, I eat almost nothing, so I definetly need some kind of vitamin supliment, my hair is shedding extremly and thinning, I got some biotin and garlic pills and I will start on them tomorrow, and I also got a moisturizer called Do grow or something im gonna start using that too, and just give the ponytails a break for a minute, I might clip them up sometimes, maybe once a week.

Thank you all, and when I get some progress hopefully I will show you pictures :yep:

ReddTweetyB

Wearing ponytails seems to break my hair off in certain areas too so I very rarely wear them now. I've found that my hair works better if I just wear it up using a clip.

BostonMaria

OP, do you have natural or relaxed hair? I only ask because for some reason when I was relaxed I couldn't do ponytails or it would lead to set-backs. Especially if I wore it in the same place for too long or put it too tight.

A few people here gave you some great advice... try MT, don't pull your hair back so tight, try switching up the position of the ponytail (high/low), and maybe give your hair a break every few days and try wearing it down.

Saida

I am all over the place BM, I have mostly texturized hair, but I would say I am relaxed, my hair is severely damaged :nono:

AnjelLuvs

I have started to use banana clips so that pressure of the scrunchie is not targeted to one area.... I have noticed less shedding with the clips.... Just need to find some more fancy ones..

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I have this same problem. The back middle part of my hair has always been my trouble spot, but this last stretch I decided to wear ponytails and buns and saw the most breakage I've ever seen. My "W" in the back was worse than ever. I couldn't even argue with the stylist when she wanted to cut my hair.:nono: I did NOT move my ponytail, it was in the same spot ALL THE TIME. I wore it very tight and neat too. Now I'm afraid to do ANY ponys. So I have been clipping up my hair with a claw when it is not down. Perhaps if the pony/bun is moved from spot to spot and not done so tightly, we won't have to totally give them up.