Could THIS Be the Reason Oprah Relaxed?

EssenceOfBeauty

His book pretty much encouraged kinky heads to relax because being natural was so "limiting". I wouldn't be surprised if he may have been the reason she relaxed. She seems to take ONLY HIS advice concerning hair.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Perhaps. IMHO, after watching her show when she got her hair relaxed, it seemed to me like she wanted her hair to look a certain way all the time. Something that is harder to achieve with natural hair. Part of the fun with natural hair is that it can always look a little different even after following the same steps each time.

manter26

She looked to me like she was heat damaged anyway...seemed redundant to relax. It's her hair but it would have been nice to see it in it's natural state. Oh and Andre needs to *********.

CrueltyFree

AimWard

"I always suggest embracing your natural texture....
Kinky hair has limited styling options and that's the only texture I suggest altering with professional relaxing."

-Andre Walker

This is what Andre Walker said in an Elle magazine interview.

Shared by arcamp83 on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmx653wfvU8&feature=channel_video_title

fastfoward video to 3:10

What do you guys think?

Boo HISS!!! When people have limited thinking, they tend to make nonsensical blanket statements to cover up their shortcomings. He clearly doesn't frequent this message board, if he did, he would not think this. And I surely will never visit him to get my hair did.

g.lo

May be he should subscribe to LHCF to see how versatile kinky hairs are!! pure ignorance!:nono:

empressri

way before the hair forums i knew andre walker was talking out of his butt. especially when he said if you want a straight look to use a brush and blow dryer and it's easier and less damaging to do that than flat ironing.

au contraire feckin eejit.

Chameleonchick

This guy's little comments are so worthless and stupid. I don't care if someone has a relaxer or not to be honest. As a person in the beauty industry I know that it is all about the repeat business. The thing that I don't like is that some people have no clue of how to take care of relaxed and hair and comments like this is a way to keep stylist's pockets lined up because it makes the client dependent on them. I don't care who's hair he is doing I would not listen to a single thing that comes out of this man's mouth.

BostonMaria

It's probably easier for HIM to deal with relaxed hair. I've had relaxed hair and my hair is just as versatile, if not more, than relaxed hair. I think most stylists would rather deal with relaxed hair because it's quicker to style.

He's an idiot. People think his hair typing scheme is the bible, but he's obviously full of poop.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

BlackMasterPiece

Wow. I'm disgusted. I think this may be a big reason why Oprah relaxed. Alot of women live or die by their "stylists" suggestions and really take their advice to heart.

My cousin texted me this morning telling me her Dominican stylist suggested she get a relaxer what do I think and I had to tell her she didn't know what she was talking about. In my head I was like "you needed me to tell you that?" Alot of people just don't have any knowledge about their hair, especially Black women.

The only thing that's limited is his thinking.

mscocoface

Wonderful things about opinions......they are just that opinions and should not be seen as the gospel or law. Unfortuanately many do not understand this and think just because someone like him says something like this it is factual and should be followed.

omegachick31

So he is saying that he suggests you embrace your natural texture however if your natural texture is kinky then you really won't have versatility in styling unless you relax it so in fact you would not then be embracing your natural texture as he suggested you should in the first place.....ummmm okay?

blessedandlucky

Andre doesn't know what he's talking about so sideeye to him. As for Oprah, she's a grown woman and makes her own decisions. She relaxed because SHE wanted to...I have a stylist I've been with for almost 10 years and I definitely don't take all of her suggestions. Give Oprah some credit!!

cocosweet

Interesting that the only texture he is advocate of changing is the texture produced by his own race.
Rather telling isn't it? The truth is natural hair isn't limited in options. Anyone who has been on here for a minute knows that. His skills with natural hair are limited.

healthyhair2

The TRUTH is most Black hairdressers do not like to deal with our hair in it's natural state because they consider it too time consuming and a general pain in the a**!!! Chemicals make more money for them also. Not to down hairdressers,but I have been told as much from them.

LayneJ

Wow, so he advocates relaxers for all kinky-haired customers regardless of their personal needs? What if that's not in the best interest of some of his customers? Does he send them elsewhere?

Deeply disturbing thing for a stylist, especially a black stylist, to say.

MrsWatson

Did Oprah relax her entire head? I vaguely remember seeing her getting her edges relaxed on "Season 25: Behind the Scenes", but I may be wrong.

song_of_serenity

Opera's hair was SO gorgeous when it was long and natural and straightened.

Now it's just...I wonder if heat damage is what made her cut it off and relax. Even though a shorter cut can be so gorgeous, it doesn't look the same.

Ms Lala

???? How is straight hair more versatile than kinky hair which can be worn straight, kinky, curly or any other myriad of ways. He needs to just be honest and say he doesn't like dealing w/kinky textured hair and of us ladies "going natural" is messing up his business.

lilanie

booooo on him. Let's stop refering to him as an expert. Most experts retain that status because what is captured for posterity is factual and usually free of bias (well, that's the way I perceive it).

Limited styling options to who? People with no patience? more boooooooooooooooo.

ezina

"Kinky hair has limited styling options and that's the only texture I suggest altering with professional relaxing."

He actually says "kinky hair can have limiting styling option..."

That changes the connotation a bit to a little less severe, I think.

Also, what other kinds of hair can anyone suggest altering with professional relaxing? Certainly not 1a hair. People are reading too deeply into this.

Last edited: