CRINGE-CRINGE-CRINGE

Aviah

http://www.itzcaribbean.com/Afro_hair_style.php

Want to grow a Fro?

Your questions answered

How do I start to grow an Afro– do I need my haircut in a certain style beforehand?

If your are starting to grow your Afro from a short haircut you must make sure you have a defined hair line – this can be done with clippers, you will need to continue to keep this up until your hair starts to grow and take shape. As your hair grows and the style takes shape you may notice some hairs appear to be growing longer than others particularly on top. You need to try to get the hair on the side of your head to be an even length with the hair on top. In order to do this you will need to make sure the top is trimmed to match the slower growth of sides. This is a great style for summer.

How do I care for my Afro?

Afros are easy to care for. A lot of it depends on length. Short Afros can be shampooed twice or three times weekly, daily if one wishes. Medium and longer lengths can be shampooed just as frequently but should be conditioned every other shampoo to maintain moisture levels. I find that Sta Sof Fro Extra Dry works really well for longer “Fros” as these tend to get drier on ends.

How do I comb the “Fro”?

You should never comb dry hair and don't use water because water can dry hair out. Before combing hair should be sprayed with Sta Sof Fro Oil Sheen Spray or for shorter Fros use Sof n Free's Curl Activator Lotion. The best way to comb the Fro is to separate hair strands to keep them from tangling. Begin combing on the perimeter of hair so for back and sides start at nape and temples and work your way up to the crown. For top combing start at forehead and comb forward working your way back to the crown, you can then comb for strand separation and style. Finish styling by using an Afro pick but remember you should never comb your hair with a pick. A pick will decrease the diameter of the strand and cause the hair to tangle and break.
How long should I grow my Afro?

Length should revolve around form and function. You need to decide if you just want your Fro to frame your face, or go further. How tall are you? Make sure that your Afro length complements you body type and height. Remember you can play with your Fro but care should be taken, especially if your hair is going to be textured and set on bone rollers or braided and combed out to make a wavy pattern

If you follow the link you'll see the whole thing. I hate the hydro-phobia some of these sources encourage, and we wonder why our hair is dry and breaking... *sigh*

msa

How do I care for my Afro?

Afros are easy to care for. A lot of it depends on length. Short Afros can be shampooed twice or three times weekly, daily if one wishes. Medium and longer lengths can be shampooed just as frequently but should be conditioned every other shampoo to maintain moisture levels. I find that Sta Sof Fro Extra Dry works really well for longer “Fros” as these tend to get drier on ends.

Shampoo 2 or 3 times a week? or daily?!

Condition EVERY OTHER shampoo?!?!?

Jesus take the wheel and be free subscription to LHCF for these poor misled souls.

maddywoo13

Hells Bells! This is like the bible for what NOT to do for afro hair maintainence. Thank God, for this site!

*Muffin*

I hate when people refer to the "fro" as a style, like the way people of African descent's hair naturally grows is something only to be sported for fashion's sake or when it's en vogue. Our hair naturally grows curly/kinky or with some sort of texture. It is not a style or fad, it's just the way it is. What they are telling us to do with our hair should be called the "frizz". Water dries out hair? Water is moisture! Sorry y'all. Even though I'm relaxed as an AA woman it still irritates me.

P.S. How much you want to bet it wasn't even a person of African descent that wrote this article?

Last edited:

1babydimple

Water dry out the hair? WTH If I knew absolutley nothing about textured hair that wouldn't make sense. Water is dry, sea or ocean water, maybe, but who's washing their with that?
I'm with you Muffin and I'm also old enough to remember being called an
Afro-American LOL LAWD have mercy, not the yabba dabba doo. That's like saying beehive or french braid american.

*Muffin*

Water dry out the hair? WTH If I knew absolutley nothing about textured hair that wouldn't make sense. Water is dry, sea or ocean water, maybe, but who's washing their with that?
I'm with you Muffin and I'm also old enough to remember being called an
Afro-American LOL LAWD have mercy, not the yabba dabba doo. That's like saying beehive or french braid american.

:lachen: Yeah, I really don't like the word "African American". There is so much confusion in it. And I don't think the word "black" is a good term either. I prefer saying "of African Descent", but that phrase is probably incorrect too, lol.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I wonder how many people this advice is sending screaming back to relaxers lol.

At least the pictures of the fros on that page were cute.

*Muffin*

I wonder how many people this advice is sending screaming back to relaxers lol.

At least the pictures of the fros on that page were cute.

I hate to be a cynic, but that's probably what their whole scheme was from the beginning, to jack up women/men with textured hair so much they will run in tears to salons and drugstores trying to achieve the kind of hair they see advertised on that page.