What do you think about this?

lasirene

I was searching on the net for info on dreadlocks and found this posting on a site out of the UK:
http://www.wcyh.org.uk/beauty/hair/growing-black-hair/

If you are a black woman who wants long, luxurious locks, you may be out of luck. People are genetically pre-disposed to have different lengths of hair. Each hair on your head has a growing cycle, after which it sheds. Hair grows at a rate of about 1/2 inch per month. If you try to grow your hair out long and finds that it only gets to your shoulders and then stops, it may be because your hair has a short growing cycle.

People of African descent tend to have shorter growing cycles for their hair, usually only about three years. At 1/2 inch per month, your hair can only get so long in three years. Luxurious hair that falls half-way down the back takes at least five years to grow.

If you want long hair, you have to get extensions. Extensions are long strands of artificial hair which are woven into your real hair. The choice to wear extensions is one of personal style but, without extensions, a black woman will never be able to throw her hair around like Beyonce.

If you want to wear your hair natural and grow out an afro, your hair will require some special care. Relaxed hair may never be nappy again, so there may be some transition time between your formerly relaxed hair and your afro. During the transition, you may want to keep your hair in braids as the relaxed hair will clash with your natural hair. Once you have cut off all of the relaxed hair and have a head of natural, nappy hair you can spray your hair with a de-tangler like Sta-Sof Fro spray and comb it out with a wide-toothed comb. This will need to be done frequently.

Another option for long hair is dreadlocks. You can start your dreadlocks with some braids, you just don't remove them. Twist and lock to reinforce the locks and let them go. Dreadlocks will allow your hair to grow long as the old, shed hairs are still attached to the growing hairs on your head. Dreadlocks can be styled just like braids and are becoming a more acceptable way to wear your hair.

There are many options for Afro hair, even if long natural locks are not necessarily one of them. Braids, dreadlocks, extensions, curls, afros, etc. are all fun possibilities for your hair, change it up!

Poobity

I quit reading after the first sentence.

There are a plethora of women on this board who are relaxed, natural, or somewhere in between who have long, beautiful hair.

That article is some bs.

RegaLady

Def not true!:nono: My mother has very long WLH and her mother had shorter hair. It all depends on how you take care of it. People like to feed BS!:lachen:

InnerSoul

"The choice to wear extensions is one of personal style but, without extensions, a black woman will never be able to throw her hair around like Beyonce. " :blush::wallbash:

the above was copy and pasted from the article.. I can not believe that I read that:nono:

My mother doesn't have extensions and she is black and she proudly throws her MBL hair around!!! well now she keeps it braided:look:

Rapunzel*

"The choice to wear extensions is one of personal style but, without extensions, a black woman will never be able to throw her hair around like Beyonce. " :blush::wallbash:

the above was copy and pasted from the article.. I can not believe that I read that:nono:

My mother doesn't have extensions and she is black and she proudly throws her MBL hair around!!! well now she keeps it braided:look:

let me shut that sh*t down:lachen: beyonce hair is nt the shyt, its damaged thin and everything else, i like bey but for a celeb this is ridiculous:rolleyes:
her hair is thin, if this is her hair(the top dont match the bottom:nono:

InnerSoul

let me shut that sh*t down:lachen: beyonce hair is nt the shyt, its damaged thin and everything else, i like bey but for a celeb this is ridiculous:rolleyes:
her hair is thin, if this is her hair(the top dont match the bottom:nono:

wow.. if that is her real hair then this picture trumps what was stated in the article:lachen:

pazyamor

Let me point out that this is a German-run site, and as such, they may not be as knowledgeable on "black girl" hair...having said that, what a load of bs...

Skyqueen737

I noticed that there is no way to get in contact with them. If there were, I'd be sure to send in that pic of the Almightycandonowrong Beyonce and ask if this is the "long hair" on Bey we should aspire to have. Then include pics of several of the Divas on this site with BS/WL locs. Bastards!:angry2: I want to bend them over and :spank:

Blackbird77

I find that quote quite ironic because they say that black women will never be able to have long hair like Beyonce, but isn't Beyonce black/of African descent? Why use a black woman with long hair as an example of the non-probability of other black woman having long hair?:rolleyes:

Crystal22

I find that quote quite ironic because they say that black women will never be able to have long hair like Beyonce, but isn't Beyonce black/of African descent? Why use a black woman with long hair as an example of the non-probability of other black woman having long hair?:rolleyes:

Not only that but don't they know that that long hair Beyonce' sports 95% of the time is not her own hair either, but indeed weaves/wigs?:wallbash:

charmtreese

"The choice to wear extensions is one of personal style but, without extensions, a black woman will never be able to throw her hair around like Beyonce. "

I took this as the author acknowledging the fact that Beyonce wears weaves and the only way you can be like her was to get a weave as well... or at leaset that's the way I read it!:rolleyes:

Either way the article is a bunch of phewy!!!:yep:

Pheonixx

Beyonce has a lot of hair from what I've seen--she's just hiding it up under all that weave. (will try to find a pic. it was sent to me in email)

And anyway...why care what some Germans think? We know the truth. Prolly a site full of racists anyway...

As far as I know black hair grows at the same rate as anyone else's only difference is the breaking and coils.
But as some on here have already stated it's a shame that a lotta black folks don't realize this.

Qt girl

Another option for long hair is dreadlocks. You can start your dreadlocks with some braids, you just don't remove them. Twist and lock to reinforce the locks and let them go. Dreadlocks will allow your hair to grow long as the old, shed hairs are still attached to the growing hairs on your head. Dreadlocks can be styled just like braids and are becoming a more acceptable way to wear your hair.

This person doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. :mad:

I hope no one believes this crap

MizzBrown

Beyonce doesn't have much hair. I hope the OP finds that pic cause I've seen 2 pics of her with her own hair and it wasnt a good sight. You would think it would be a little more healthier looking w/ all the "protective" styling she has but it still looks like ish.

All that money, a mom as a stylist and why does her hair look like that? WHY?

Rapunzel*

Beyonce doesn't have much hair. I hope the OP finds that pic cause I've seen 2 pics of her with her own hair and it wasnt a good sight. You would think it would be a little more healthier looking w/ all the "protective" styling she has but it still looks like ish.

All that money, a mom as a stylist and why does her hair look like that? WHY?

probably because she doesn't take care of her own hair under those wigs:lachen: