Crown and Glory/Braided Ladies.............

NewYorkgyrl

What type of hair are you ladies using for individual braids. I am thinking of getting braids in 3 weeks and doing the crown and glory challenge.

Some people say to stay away from synthetic hair like toyakalon. But others say the best hair to use is synthetic kankalon.

On the crown and glory site Robin says that it is best to wash the kankalon hair in vinegar and water....is any one doing this? If so do you do this yourself and then bring the hair to the salon????

Also does anyone know what type of hair the Fa Salon in New york uses?

Sorry for all the questions I just really want to pick the best type of hair for braids. TIA!!!

Braided~Beauty

I usually use Kankalon to braid because I like the way you can curl the end with hot water. I do take the alkaline base out when I use this hair. It's real easy - just put a cup of vinigar in a sink full of water and soak for a while (10-15 min is what I do) then I spray the hair with some braid spray & infusium mix. I would probably do it before you go to the salon.
The last set of braids I put in (just the other day) I tryed using Toyokalon...I am still not sure how I like it. To me the ends seem kind of stringy, just hanging there - but it is much softer, and shinyer than Kankalon hair and you don't have to do anything special to the ends. Like I said I have always used Kankalon so maybe after a few days when I get used to it I will be on here raving about Toyokalon hair :lol:
As for human hair I really did not care for it at all. It did not hold well in my hair and tangled easily. The ends always looked ragged unless I curled em with a curling iron...oh and the braids were always unraveling (sp) themselves.
That's been my experence so far
HTH:)

cutiebe2

I use Kanekalon BUT..if you don't remove the base like Robin says on her site you will see the difference. When I didn't remove the base my salp itched after a week. I removed the base this time and it has been six weeks and still going strong!
I wouldn't use human hair...I heard that it doesn't last long and everything goes south after you wash it. I would bring your own hair to the salon (you can remove the base before) so it doesn't matter what Fa salon uses.
HTH!! Good luck

sunshyne_krissy

I use Kanekalon hair too but I'v never removed the alkaline base from it. It doesn't make my scalp itch or anything like some people have said it does to them. I guess when its time to braid I want to get it over with and not have to wait until the hair dries from the vinegar water. I may try that proceedure the next time I redo my braids which will be in a couple of weeks. I like the fact that Kanekalon hair lasts a very long time and the texture makes it easier to devide and braid.

Integrity

i braided my hair myself this weekend using the technique she taught in her video. i used kanekalon hair. very great results. i so love being able to braid my own hair (NO tightness AT ALL). nobody believes i did them myself.wohooo!!!!!!